The most difficult question for a Transformers collector to answer...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by SaberPrime, Jul 8, 2018.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime The first Decepticon the Fallen Megatronus Prime

Part of the fun of Transformers is that you can at any time you want transform your displays and have a totally different display. Want a collection of toy cars, fine everyone is in vehicle mode. Want a collection of robots, that's fine too everyone's a robot. Or maybe you have some characters as vehicles and others as robots just based on your personal pretence.

And this leads to the most difficult question to a Transformers collector... You have one last chance to mess with your collection. After the next time you touch any figure it will become stuck in whatever mode/pose you put it on display in and you can never touch it again. You only get one chance per figure to put them in their permanent pose for the rest of your life. Any new figures you buy you can transform once and they too will become permantly stuck in whatever position you decide to put them in. You're basically going from collecting the most versatile toy line ever to collecting a bunch of statues.

How do you choose what's the best way to display your collection? I don't even think I can answer this question. No matter how I end up answering, it would only reflect how I feel right now and then at some point I'd want to transform them again. I'd probably stop collecting Transformers if I knew I could never transform them ever again.

So is there any one way you could see enjoying your collection for the rest of your life or are you like me and could never be happy with your collection if you're not allowed to transform them again?

2. kronatron

kronatron Well-Known Member

That's a sinch for me. Robot mode, hands down.

Transmetals/II notwithstanding, the altmode carries over almost no features of the bot mode. Conversely, every bot mode carries over some kind of visually identifiable portion of the alt mode that enhances the unique aesthetic and gives each figure an air of of classicism for each niche.

Whether it's a flier, a roady, a citybot or a beastie (to name a few), the bot mode to me is what truly glorifies the character. All the figures I have on display are in bot mode, all my boxed ones are in altmode. When I rotate stock is when the conversion takes place.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Alpha_&_Omega

Alpha_&_Omega From the Covenant of Primus...

That's why I buy repaints, same mold, different forms

4. TheDecepticon

TheDecepticon Resident Asshole

News Credits:
    This is easy. I dont transform them at all unless its to get them to the desired state for display directly out of the box. MP's are in bot mode, as are all non combiner CHUG's. 2 sets of each combiner figure. 1 displayed in alt mode, 1 displayed in combined mode. Titans are displayed in bot mode as well

5. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 Oh no he's got to go! go go my budget!

News Credits:
    A mix for me but mostly robot.

If I had to do that i would stop collecting.

No i would hate it, i love to fiddle with my figures transforming them and adjusting their poses.

• Like Like x 7
  6. BWfan86

BWfan86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    To make it even harder, you should put in the additional caveat that you can't buy duplicates

• Like Like x 1
  7. Prime Noble

Prime Noble Well-Known Member

Mostly robot mode.

Some exceptions include:

Rotf Nightbeat
    Titans Return Misfire
    G1 Snarl
    G1 Slag
    G1 Snapdragon in Dragon mode
    Titans Return Scourge
    G1 Predacons combined
    G1 Snaptrap

8. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Easy. Bot mode. I have bots that have never been transformed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shockwave9227

Shockwave9227 A real stand-up guy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Bot mode. However I'd get out of the game and sell it all if everything I touched froze.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Insurgent

Insurgent Big Red Fire Snorting Dragon

This. I don't collect statues. No transform ability, no collection.

• Like Like x 4
  11. gibdozer

gibdozer Well-Known Member

I would stop collecting. To me transforming isn't a gimmick it's the crux of the toy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    This is not a difficult question. Robot mode hands down as I'm collecting characters for display and not models to play. In fact I'd go as far as to say I hate transforming most of them, it's boring and a chore and I'll only really do it if it comes packaged in alt mode.

13. LongarmMagnus

LongarmMagnus Function: Emoticon Commander

i choose what's most iconic to myself. Usually I keep them in robot mode but with Sharkticons, insecticons, and clones, i remember them fondly in their alt-modes.

• Like Like x 1
  14. fschuler

fschuler Post Count Inflated With Hot Air TFW2005 Supporter

I think pretty much this for me as well. Mostly bot modes...with the exception of the few that seem to be more memorable for their alt modes.

• Like Like x 1
  15. SaberPrime

You should try transforming more figures. Some of them do feel like a chore... or ALL of them if we're only talking about movie toys. Those complex design make every toy a nightmare to play with. Movie figures aside, most of them can be quite fun. I hardly even realize I'm doing it depending on the figure I'm messing with. I tend to prefer Deluxe class because in my opinion those are usually the most fun to transform. I like a little bit of a challenge and Deluxe class toys are perfect for that.

16. ssjkazer

ssjkazer mr dyslexia

News Credits:
    how they are now, only ones i would change are my city bots into citys, i dont have the space for city modes

17. siccoyote

siccoyote Worst side of the fandom

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would rather DIE!

You HEAR THAT, DIE!

People who don't transform transformers, you guys are crazy.

People who collect Transformers sealed in the boxes, you guys are also crazy, maybe more.

If a Transformer isn't able to be transformed, what is the point.

Edit: But then I do have:
    [​IMG]

&

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  18. smf2045

smf2045 Aficionado of Combiners

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    If I couldn't transform them, I wouldn't have them. Simple as that.

I display them in robot mode pretty much universally, but the option of converting them has to be there or I lose interest.

19. TigerBlade

TigerBlade Prepare for extermination

News Credits:
    It doesn't interest me one bit. I'd rather play on the ps4 or watch tv then bore myself transforming stuff but then they aren't toys to me, they're display pieces.

20. SaberPrime

They're display pieces to me too. I don't considering transforming them as "playing" but rather just rearranging my displays. To me playing involves actually sitting down making them fight each other or rolling them across the floor in vehicle mode. I haven't actually done that since Armada... which is admittedly still pretty old for doing that sort of stuff considering I was in high school at that time.

I couldn't even really play with my Transformers even if I wanted to anymore. For one I don't have that kind of free time anymore. For another I have really bad circulation and sitting on the floor like I use to playing with toys for long periods of time just isn't physically possible anymore. I use to be able to sit like that for hours now just a few minutes and both legs start going numb. I need to be able to move otherwise I'm not entirely sure if I can ever stand back up.

I also don't really like TV as much as I use to either. Most of the stuff that's on TV these days doesn't interest me and since I have a DVR the few shows I do watch I can catch up on any time I want. I don't even feel the need to watch shows the moment they air anymore since they're automatically set to record. Some times I transform figures while watching TV because I get bored just sitting there staring at a screen. Oddly wasn't that figity as a kid but now it's like I always have to be doing something with my hands or I just feel stiff and kinda anxius like I should be doing something more productive. And as long as it's not a painfully difficult transformation it won't even distract from the show I'm watching as I can transform most figures without even really looking at them. It's just something to do other than sit there motionless staring at a screen.