the "money shot"

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by frenzyrumble, Jul 6, 2009.

1. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    With a crappy sense of photography, I literally just "point and click"....

When I photo my customs, I sometimes take an upwards of 50 photos, then sort through them, deleting the majority - which could be blurry, off center, or just poor angles.

Occasionally, by strike of luck - I get what I call the "money shot" which perfectly captures the soul of the custom, a reallly cool angle, or something (see, I can't even explain what it is) When sorting and deleting photos, sometimes I come across a pic I took and wonder where that photography skill came from.

2. payton34

payton34 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's basically what a lot of professional photography is made up of, taking numerous shots and sifting through to find the best. A lot of people think that the famous photographs you've seen throughout history are made by photographers who have "the touch" (cue cheesy Stan Bush music), but they just pick them out of a bunch same as everybody else. Sure, they have a better sense of surrounding, finding which area has the best lighting, etc. But in the end, they take a crapload of shots same as everybody.

Yeah, I have the same problem. If I want a particular pose, I'll probably take upwards of 20 shots just to find the right one out of the rest.

3. deliciouspeter

deliciouspeter Back in Black TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Right there with you. I take dozens, maybe even a hundred photos to get 15 decent ones. Nice to know that you (who I consider to be an excellent photographer) face the same challenges!

4. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I mean; looking at the photos I took last night of power up prime, I was restricted to begin with because of the table and light box size (it's only a 16x16 inch tent) and I really felt like the photos came out like crap, but occassionally, I get the "perfect angle" and lighting and end up with one I really love. Here are some of my recent favorites:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. RodimusDawg

RodimusDawg Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Really? Could have fooled me. Your picture taking skills are really good honestly. I'm sure your not going for a cover of the Year edition of Time magazine.

But still none the less you do just what you set out to do. And that is capture the time,effort,blood,sweat,and tears that you put into each one of your works.

What some people would look over such as small minimal detail you make a point to capture. I swear I hardly ever see back shot that much with the exception of yours. Even I overlook that one.

Just it's a bitch to get those said photos and have them be what you feel is decent. Thus taking the one hundred shot of a angle with little changes in degrees to each one.

If one of my family members look at my camera gallery they would ask why I have 10 robot ass shots.:lol 

6. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

Being trained in camera and composition, I can tell you why some of those favorite shot of yours are good. Because they follow what's known by photographers worldwide as the 'triangle rule'. Which basically positioning an object inside your frame that can create a triangular composition.

I think I can explain this better with pictures. I hope you don't mind me using your photos, F_R :p 

[​IMG]

case #1: not exactly triangular. The object takes too much space making the overall composition feels somewhat claustrophobic.

[​IMG]

case #2: I played with the position a bit to get the point across. This is a bit better, but the figure doesn't help. Taking it from low angle could solve the problem.

[​IMG]

case #3: this is the classic use of the triangle rule. I know that red line makes it hard to see the photo clearly, but this is what makes the overall picture looks interesting. And you know straight ahead where to look and also, you have enough "white space" to make it look focused while making the composition feels breathable.

That's a tip on composition in case you didn't know or forgot. Lighting-wise, you've done great. Good luck capturing more 'money shots', F_R!

Attached Files:

7. blacklion29

blacklion29 Merlion Gestalt

Ebay:
    that's very informative yongkykun! thanks

8. Conundrum

Conundrum Dabbler of the arts

Ebay:
    If you think getting a decent shot of something sitting still is difficult and tricky, try taking photos of a moving target. Now that takes a heck of a lot of patience. I do a lot of sports photography and usually fill up an entire 8g memory card per game. Sifting through those, you'll only get a handful where everything is "perfect" i.e.: facial expressions, posture, compostion, etc, etc.

Everyone always asks me how I get such great shots and I always tell them this:
    You don't have to have a fancy camera or a degree to take good pics, you just need patience and heck of a lot of luck.

9. yongkykun

yongkykun Well-Known Member

you're welcome!

I know how that feels, Conundrum. I once tried to take photos at a racing event. Out of 120+ shots, I like only about 5 of them! But it was a great experience. I'm more into moving pictures though. But I also like to be in control of every single frame. That's why I became a 3D animator. And I'm still kicking myself over that decision :( 

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    yongkykun, if you want to write some photo tips like the ones you shared, please continue to feel free to. We'd be very blessed to host them in our "Tutorials" section. :thumb 

Personally, one of the advantages of using digital means for photography is that I'm able to shoot a set, instantaneously view the set on my PC, and reshoot if necessary (not having to reshoot is the goal though). Being able to host many galleries in the Radicons Customs Gallery, we've been able to see a very wide range of how people choose to present their work. We've often fought hard to get people to step up to really do the same level of work on their presentation as they've often done with their custom work. We have a minimum of 15 photos for a reason: show me your 3-dimensional piece via 2-dimensional means. Any custom I make (if I've truly valued the work) I want to be able to share it with others who are unable to hold the object in their hands. I've rarely seen the purpose of photographing the bottom (since I hardly alter that side of things), but I'll take the viewer 360 degrees around both modes, and then some action shots. Close-ups will be shot if I've done some kind of work that can't be detailed in other photographs.

Some of the best $20 I've spent was on a excellent tripod. When I first started making customs, I still had a 1 mp camera at the time with no upgrade in sight for a long time. The tripod alone enabled me to take fairly decent shots with an otherwise low-grade camera. We've since upgraded our photography equipment (I use the pronoun "we" because I simply love my wife's camera ^_^), but I could make by again if I had to.

While I always shoot for an action pose as a "money shot", I also enjoy the other shots that end up turning out better than I expected.

11. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Oh wow. Very informative. I also take lots of pics and sort through them and delete rest of them.

12. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    I quite simply suck at pics. Thanks for all the tips guys!