The MMA discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tech Spec, Mar 4, 2008.

1. ian5555

ian5555 Well-Known Member

You mean like going up to fight in the Heavyweight division when the Light-Heavyweight was too difficult? He's a smart fighter and not saying he is ducking anyone really (bad choice of words twice) but you go were you think you can win and deep down I KNOW he does not want to fight Fedor. Who would? I can guarentee you Nog and the rest of the Heavy weight division is breathing a sigh of relief that he is not there. Keeping up the legal battle though is stupid, might as well fight and make some $$ so I can't blame him for that + it's gets him away from Fedor so win win.

Just saying there is no credibility to the UFC heavy weight division when the best fighter in the world hell ever is not in it. It really doesn't matter what they do or who is the champion imo. That isn't too say these are good matchups with Nog/Mir taking on the winner of Couture/Lesnar but me personally it's all smoke and mirrors and Dana trying to justify the division. He's doing his job though making the best of it. The sad truth is he doesn't want to pay his fighters and he wouldn't agree to let Fedor compete in Sambo tournies and fights in Russia. That is why they didn't get him.

Funny story though:

Some of my friends were in Vegas for UFC fights and did a BJJ session with Robert Drysdale who trains with Couture. Anyway, they leave Xtreme Couture training facilty but are having trouble finding a cab and Randy's wife Kim walks out and says "You guys still here?" and give them a ride to their hotel in Randy's hummer. Pretty cool.

2. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    100K for the money they dumped in is nothing to brag about. They lost money hand over fist with that PPV. They had to buy a good chunk the the seats to fill the arena. They need to get their name out, but they will fold if the same thing happens 3 to 4 times. It has happend to IFL, WFA, Bodog

To put it in perspective, GSP vs Serra did 525,000 PPV buys.

The low tier guys will still make squat, which is what the real issue is here.
    Randy went back to get paid, plain and simple. To say that the HW division means nothing without Fedor discredits accomplished fighters like Nog, Werdum, and new comers like Velasquez.

Dana is a turd when it comes to negociating with Fedor's people, but I don't blame him for the exclusivity contract.

3. ian5555

Ohh really? You mean like going up to fight in the Heavyweight division when the Light-Heavyweight was too difficult? He's a smart fighter and not saying he is ducking anyone really (bad choice of words twice) but you go were you think you can win and deep down I KNOW he does not want to fight Fedor. Who would? I can guarentee you Nog and the rest of the Heavy weight division is breathing a sigh of relief that he is not there.

Just saying there is no credibility to the UFC heavy weight division when the best fighter in the world hell ever is not in it. It really doesn't matter what they do or who is the champion imo. That isn't too say these are good matchups with Nog/Mir taking on the winner of Couture/Lesnar but me personally it's all smoke and mirrors and Dana trying to justify the division. He's doing his job though making the best of it. The sad truth is he doesn't want to pay his fighters and he wouldn't agree to let Fedor compete in Sambo tournies and fights in Russia. That is why they didn't get him.

4. funkatron101

Ebay:
    Did you just repost your previous post, add "Ohh really?" for your reply to my post? That made no sense.

5. The_Bardock

The_Bardock ****** of the Minicons

Well I don't think they've actually said how many PPV buys they had, so we really don't know how much they made/lost on that event.

6. funkatron101

Ebay:
    We can only guesstimate.

Affliction PPV Numbers Between 50,000 And 85,000 - FightLine.com

I can guarantee that Fedor made more than $300k. Which bumps that $3.3 million payout.
    Affliction: Banned payout | Fight Ticker

Here is a story on the pay cut.
    Affliction has asked fighters to take a pay cut, just not Barnett - MMA Exp... - Mixed Martial Arts - Yahoo! Sports

When you factor in all of the costs of running a show, the marketing, the venue, the PPV company's cut, buying back the tickets, the undisclosed pay, and the fact that they are cutting the fighter pay for the next event...

I think it is safe to say they lost money.

7. ian5555

My point is that at even a 50% paycut it's still alot better then what the UFC pays even to the bottom tier guys who basically have to get sub of the night or KO of the night to make over the 5-10k range. The fact is guys like Matt Lindland well a respected fighter are making more then an Anderson Silva or Chuck Liddell. It's laughable. The card that Affliction on dominated any UFC card in a long time as does Affliction 2. UFC is putting maybe 2 known good fighters on a card these days. Look at the Bisbing v. Leben fight, is that a joke??

Now I am not sure how much if any Affliction made as they haven't released concrete numbers but it was over 100k in PPV numbers for sure so that is what 3 million there and then 2 MIllion from gate sales. Supposedly Fedor got somewhere around 1.3-2 Million (not exactly sure) as alot was signing bonus and gate percentages. They gave away alot of tickets to high class rollers and friends and family of fighters so that ate some profit.

They are still racking iin the $$ for t-shirts. I see Affliction stuff EVERYWHERE now at 40-60 a pop and people are buying them left and right.

Comparing the last two venues isn't even close and Affliction put on a great show although I could have dome w/o Megadeath and I really like the octagon better it was a solid show. If they can keep it going and chip away at UFC they'll steal alot of their talent eventually. They have the name recognition and the financial backing to do it. They just don't have TUF and Spike which helps the UFC alot. The UFC PPV numbers have been on a steady decline since 2006 this is why Dana has to try to put together matches that bring in numbers not who is ready to fight for a title.

It doesn't discount the other fighters and there accomplishments but facts are facts, Fedor is the man and has dominated the heavyweight division and all comers since what 2002? The man is undefeated (although he has a TKO due to ref stoppage which if it wasn't tournie style would not have been a loss) and yes to me and alot of people the UFC HW title really means nothing to me if you haven't beat the last emperor.

Who made the most? UFC: Silva vs. Irvin payouts
    Anderson Silva: $200,000 (no win bonus issued)
    James Irvin: $20,000

Brandon Vera: $200,000 (includes $100,000 win bonus)
    Reese Andy $15,000

Frankie Edgar: $51,000 ($13,000 win bonus, $25,000 fight of the night bonus)
    Hermes Franca : $42,000 ($25,000 fight of the night bonus)

Cain Velasquez: $14,000 ($7,000 win bonus)
    Jake O'Brien: $11,000

Kevin Burns: $10,000 ($5,000 win bonus)
    Anthony Johnson: $9,000

CB Dollaway: $45,000 ($10,000 win bonus, $25,000 Sub of the night bonus)
    Jesse Taylor: $8,000

Tim Credeur: $16,000 ($8,000 win bonus)
    Cale Yarbrough: $8,000

Rory Markham: $37,000 ($6,000 win bonus, $25,000 KO of the night bonus)
    Brodie Farber: $3,00O

Nate Loughran: $8,000 ($4,000 win bonus)
    Johnny Rees: $4,000

Brad Blackburn: $10,000 ($5000 win bonus)
    James Gaboo: $3,000

Shannon Gugerty: $6,000 ($3,000 win bonus)
    Dale Hartt: $3,000

Affliction Fighter Salaries:

Fedor Emelianenko: $300,000 (no win bonus)
    def. Tim Sylvia: $800,000

Andrei Arlovski: $750,000 (includes $250,000 win bonus)
    def. Ben Rothell: $250,000

Josh Barnett: $300,000 (no win bonus)
    def. Pedro Rizzo: $70,000

Mark Hominick: $10,000 (includes $5,000 win bonus)
    def. Savant Young: $7,000

Renato "Babalu" Sobral: $90,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus)
    def: Mike Whitehead: $50,000

Matt Lindland: $300,000 (includes $75,000 win bonus)
    def. Fabio Nascimento: $20,00O

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira: $50,000 (no win bonus)
    def. Edwin Dewees: $15,000

Mike Pyle: $20,000 (includes $5,000 win bonus)
    JJ Ambrose: $5,000

Ray Lizama: $3,000
    vs. Justin Levens: $6000*

Vitor Belfort: $140,000 (includes $70,000 win bonus)
    Terry Martin: $30,000

Paul Buentello: $80,000 (includes $20,000 win bonus)
    vs. Gary Goodridge: $25,000

Those numbers for UFC are pitiful and what is sad is they ARE making tons of $$ and still nto paying their fighters high and low tier.

8. funkatron101

Ebay:
    and you complete missed my point. I already addressed yours, and first you just repeated a post that had nothing to do with it, and second you just closed your ears, went "lalala" and posted more that did not address the issue.

If Affliction continues to pay at this scale, without pulling huge PPV numbers, they will fail just like the IFL, WFA, Bodog, etc. Bottom line. If you cut their payroll in half, like they are suggesting, the top tier guys may make more, but the lower guys do not. Clearly it is an indication that they realized that they can't keep shelling out this kind of money to their fighters.

You say the UFC numbers are pitiful, but do you actually know their annual gross, net, or profit? Do you know how much they have to pay the PPV companies? Their marketing and advertising departments, camera men, web masters, etc..etc. Do you know which fighters get PPV percentage bonuses? We have no clue with their overhead is.

UFC is doing something right, they are successful while all of these other organizations are folding within 2 years.

I would gladly make what many of these guys make in a year. Anything above 20k a fight and that is damn good pay, then throw in endorsements and you've got a nice annual income doing something you love.

9. The_Bardock

We could just say the same about Affliction. All we can do is wait and see.

10. ian5555

No, I just think your point is wrong (except of course if they do not sell PPV they will not be successful that's a no brainer) that they made no $$ and the i don't use my ears to read anyway I'm not getting that. Do you read out loud to do that? The repeated post was a double post when I tried to edit, I figured that would be obvious but I guess not.

It doesn't matter if the UFC is successful my point is they as a business have been on a steady decline since 2006 when PPV were near a million for the Liddell/Couture fights and other great venues. Now 500k PPV is nothing to laugh at BUT as a business you want a million like you had years ago. if your profit is down 50% from last year even though you made a profit, that's bad from a business perspective.

You are solely looking at the bottom tier fighters not many of them even make over 10k AND they get to fight maybe twice a year? They also do not bring in the $$$, period although it sucks they don't get much but I think of it as like triple A in baseball. Do good and you get bank. Nobody cares that Joe Smo out of Idaho is fighting they care that Chuck Liddell will be fighting. Also if I'm Chuck Liddell and I can command big numbers for PPV and know I only have a few years left to fight prolly I'm thinking wait a minute I made $150k last fight and Matt Lindland made $300k?? What is wrong with that picture?

Say Tim Sylvia got 1/2 of what he made at Affliction that is still $400k over 4times what he was making in any UFC fight. That is a slap in the face to any UFC champion and they will want to leave UFC for sure if they get that chance and Affliction is successful.

UFC pretty much has a monopoly on the MMA world so I want Affliction to give them a run for their $$ but it also sucks because you don't get some matchups you want to see. They (UFC) buy up any of their competition and keep the good talent and dump the rest like they did with Pride but Affliction might force them to really start paying their fighters. Will Affliction be successful? Only time will tell but I think they can eat away at UFC given time. MMA is getting bigger and bigger and eventually the talent gets paid. Look at boxers in the 60's compared to boxers in the 90's and on. They are getting bank hell ALL atheletes these days are MMA will get it's turn hopefully but the top guys always make the most.

You keep saying all this overhead and blah blah blah but the fact is no one really knows I just see 2 million in tickets sale and 500k * 44.95 or $22 Million so roughly $24 Million on one PPV and their payouts is not even 300k total most of the time 500k if it's a great card. That is just sad.

I guess my point it that if Affliction can pay better and stay around for a while they will start to steal some of the UFC's talent OR they will make the UFC start paying better so that is good for the world of MMA.

My other point is the UFC Heavyweight division is shit w/o Fedor in it imo.

11. The_Bardock

Man Chuck got knocked out BAD!

12. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I didn't see that coming. Chuck's lost 3 of his last 4 now. Not good. I wonder if he moves up to heavyweight now.

13. ian5555

Dana has got to be pissed with Chuck's performance as of late as he is the main $$ maker for light heavyweights. Age has caught up with both him and Matt Hughes it seems. Guess Chuck's party style has finally caught up with him the last year or so.

14. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

i was shocked too when he got knocked out...there are talks about him thinking about retirement now.

In other news, good to see Hendo finally win one.

15. funkatron101

Ebay:
    I am excited at this shakeup in the LHW division.

Forrest vs Rashad works perfectly. There are a lot of interesting matchups that can happen.

Then we can have
    Machida vs T. Silva for #1 (still waiting for confirmation on his injury)
    W. Silva vs Rampage
    Chuck vs Shogun
    Jardine vs Franklin
    Vera vs Soko

If T. Silva is indeed out, then we can have:
    Machida vs Rampage
    W. Silva vs Vera
    Chuck vs Shogun
    Jardine vs Soko
    Franklin vs Irvin

16. ian5555

Shogun was supposed to fight Rampage in December (don't see it happening now). I'm glad Vera and Franklin are in this divsion now makes it alot more interesting to watch. Nobody is really dominating and everyone is beating and losing to each other except Rashad (originally it was supposed to be Shogun instead of Rashad fighting Chuck but he re-injurred his ACL). This and the heavyweight division are really up for grabs and Dana just puts fights together that make him $$.

Machido is boring, I absolutely HATE his style of fighting. He ran from Tito their whole fight. Jardine will get dominated by Vera most likely at UFC 89 and I can't stand him anyway. We won't see Rampage for a while which really sucks. I really liked him. He might be going to jail and be in a big lawsuit because of the accident he was in caused a lady to miscarry. I like Franklin in that division though but I think it is that one divsion where everyone wins and loses alot to each other. They might beat one guy but lose to the guy who lost to the guy who that person beat like Jardine with Silva and Chuck. It's going to be messy.

17. funkatron101

Ebay:
    I'm not a huge fan or Machida's "point" style either, but he is winning, and you can't keep denying him a shot.

Jardine and Vera is a toss up for me, Vera has underwhelmed me lately, and Jardine, when he isn't stupid and keeping his chin out, can give anyone trouble. He beat Chuck and Forrest, but lost to W. Silva and Alexander. He's all over the map and a perfect example why MMA Math does not work.

Rampage may not serve jail time, although honestly I hope he does. He's using the "twinkie defense" with the whole lack of sleep, energy drinks thing. Regardless, it seems like Dana is on his side and the plan is still to have him fight relatively soon. UFC 91 I thought I read.

18. ian5555

Yeah, you know Dana doesn't want to give Machido a shot because he just isn't very exciting. I guess it is Forrest and Rashad which cost the UFC millions (a Liddell/Forrest fight would have been HUGE PPV buys) but the spin of the first time 2 winners of TUF compete for a title is pretty cool.

My wife loves Rampage and so do I but he can't be acting like that. He's pretty colorful for sure but damn get these fighters under control. The whole Jesse Taylor thing was a nightmare too. What an idiot. Kinda glad CB stomped him.

Payout sure went up for UFC 88 for the top tier guys, the bottom guys still get screwed though. Gotta work your way up to the big payday I guess. Chuck got 500k!!! Might have got a Million if he had won as they usually double the salary for winners. Hendo made 250k so looks liek Affliction is having some effect on salaries. I wonder what the Couture/Lesnar fight will be. Bet it is pretty big.

19. funkatron101

Ebay:
  20. Tech Spec

Tech Spec Breeze Loo

News Credits: