The MLB 2011 Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Razerwire, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Super Mod

News Credits:
  2. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    When does the TFW2005 league start?

It's also a happy day that Pettitte is officially retired and the Yankees are going to be battling the Orioles to see who has the worst starting rotation in the East.

3. Razerwire

News Credits:
    The Yahoo! registration for baseball isn't up yet.

As for the O's, I was a little surprised at them picking up Duchscherer and Vlad.

4. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Aside from seeing Phillies' starting rotation go from great to unbelievable, and the constant Wilpons-Madoff scandals dominating the headlines, this offseason has been swell for Mets fans. Now I go to bed every night praying that the lawsuits will force those cursed Wilpons to sell majority stakes in the team soon. Let's see those billionaires feeling broke for the first time in their lives.

5. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

There's light at the end of the tunnel for the Mets. $41M is coming off the books in K-Rod, Beltran, and Reyes after 2011.

I think the A's will take the AL West this season. Texas basically flipped Vlad for Beltre, who I don't think will reproduce his numbers in Boston, and will likely trade Michael Young away to unload his contract. Lee is gone also. I think Texas is still decent, but flawed. The Angels have a way overpaid OF and made a stupid move in getting Wells. The Mariners still won't hit.

I really believe Atlanta will hang in there with Philly this season. Florida and Milwaukee will be interesting. Mike Stanton is the real deal. SF and Colorado will be very good.

The Yankees are aging and their rotation is mediocre. They have a "decent" starting three, but no depth. Freddie Garcia? Toronto has a really good farm system and they're on the rise. Boston will win the division, maybe by double-digit games.

The AL Central will be a dog fight between three teams.

Most improved: Milwaukee
    Biggest drop-off: SD
    Surprise team: Cleveland. I'm not saying they'll contend, just that they'll be much, much better.
    Bad team that will make the greatest leap in the next three years: KC. Their farm system is incredible right now.

6. Razerwire

News Credits:
    With the AL West it's going to be about who can win with the least amount of runs. :lol 

While the A's pitching is rock solid with extra to spare this year, the hitting is again questionable.

I might order MLB Extra Innings this year. I miss Fosse and Kuiper's voices too much. :D 

Oh and hurray to another year of A's commercials!

Here's last year's for anyone who's interested: 2010 Commercials | oaklandathletics.com: Multimedia

7. mineraljane

News Credits:
    Do you have a PS3? If you do, go for the MLB.tv service instead of Extra Innings. I believe it may be cheaper, plus you can watch games online or on your phone if you're not at home. (You can also unofficially share the service with other people. I have the past 7 years without issue.)

8. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Interesting. Do I just go through the Playstation Store to buy the service?

9. mineraljane

News Credits:
    You order the service directly from MLB.com, though it doesn't appear that they have the 2011 season up yet. I think it's $120 for the season, but they typically have a special at $100 when they initially offer it for sale.

For the PS3, there is a free download in the PS3 online store that you use to access your account once it is purchased.

Last season was the first for PS3 support and it was nearly perfect. Home and away feeds for every game (except those nationally televised or restricted by local blackouts) in near-HD quality with archives for the entire season. (If you leave a game then return later, it even picks up where you left off.) It's the best set-up for any of the major professional sports.

For the blackout situation, you'd be fine watching the A's from Virginia unless they're playing a local team, like the Orioles.

10. Razerwire

News Credits:
    Is there a lag regardless of the speed of internet you're using? I'm on FiOS which should be fine but if there's one thing I can't stand is lag/buffering.

11. mineraljane

News Credits:
    Last season, it was basically indistinguishable from Netflix streaming. I don't recall any issues with lag or buffering and I watched a ton of games on the PS3 using Comcast for internet. (I don't have any experience with their mobile application, though I have used watched games on my laptop at airports, et cetera.)

In contrast, I've had the Directv NFL online package the past two seasons and it has been dreadful.

12. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    I'm happy to see Jim Edmonds back with the Cards organization. The guy should have never have left.

13. mineraljane

News Credits:
    Well, this could be very good news for you and other fans of the Mets. (At least in the long term.)

As the article suggests, the $1 billion amount is laughable, but even a fraction of that amount could compel the Wilpons to sell the team.

14. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Let's hope so. IMO Wilpon family is the worst thing to ever happen to this franchise. They were able to make millions by investing the deferred salaries of their players in the Madoff investment and that was just pure greed. To me Wilpons never once cared about the success of the club, only how much profits they can make from the fans and the network. You can see how they signed just enough players each year to get fans excited in the upcoming season, but never address the shortcomings of the team and make the necessary changes. I hope that someone like Mark Cuban can buy the majority shares someday and set the club on the right path to success. I am not a fan of Cuban because of his affliation with Mavs, but if he became the owner of Mets I'd love him lots.

15. Razerwire

News Credits:
    So according to many baseball writer's opinions, the A's should be able to win the AL West.

I'm trying to buy into it.

Really.

I am.

But part of me just can't believe that the A's offense is going to generate a damned thing just like the past years.

Sure they have one helluva pitching staff with pitchers to spare if they need to trade for a bat but the bottom line is, no offensive player will ever want to play in the Coliseum. It's stat suicide if they do.

Even if the A's make it to the playoffs, which undoubtedly would be nice, I just don't see them getting past the first round.

16. Tenebrouser

They won 81 games with the lousy offense last season. DeJesus, Willingham, and Matsui are clear upgrades. Kouz performed under his normal numbers and should be better for 2011. Barton is ascending, and Crisp hopefully can play a whole year healthy. Same with Suzuki. They don't have to compete with Boston or the teams in the AL Central. I think they're better all around than Texas or Anaheim. They have plenty of trade chips at the deadline that should allow them to pick up a mid-season rental bat.

17. Tenebrouser

Anybody catch Brian Wilson on the George Lopez show recently or in the latest MLB2011 game commercial?

He's pretty funny, and it appears baseball now has its version of Chad Ochocinco, which the sport sorely needs. More personalities, please!

18. Optimus Vader

Optimus Vader Banned

Yeah, I like Wilson.. he's dominant on the mound and kind of nuts. My kind of closer. His story about how he decided to become a closer is pretty funny when he tells it.

This season can't start soon enough.

19. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I think there's a good chance that my White Sox may win the AL central. We brought back AJ and Konerko and we FINALLY picked up that big lefthanded DH in Adam Dunn.

Our rotation will be 6 deep when Peavy returns and we upgraded our bullpen as well.

It should be interesting for us to say the least.

20. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    Until they prove otherwise the Rangers are the team to beat in the west. The Webb and Beltre acquistions may payoff and if not, the new ownership has VERY deep pockets to go and acquire some pieces.