The Mist

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Liege Prime, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    So I went to see The Mist this weekend, which is actually based on a short story by Stephen King. Anyways, I have a soft spot for cheesy horror movies, but this actually wasn't a cheesy horror movie- it actually geared itself more towards being an example of how human psyche during a fearfull situation works, since everyone trapped in the grocery store had to deal with all the rules and authority being thrown out the window with potential threat of horrific creatures outside.

Mainly, the plot is about a mist the comes over the town the day after a big electrical storm. The mist hits a grocery store while the main character is there getting some supplies, while someone runs in shouting that there is something in the mist and that people shouldn't go out there, and that's when the chaos ensues.

I really liked the way the movie never goes for cheap scares- and I mean it went for creapy factor instead of making you flinch by making a loud noise and flashing something on the screen right after everything was silent just to make your reflexes react and have you jump. I hate that and can't stand movies that overly use it. What I didn't like was the main human antagonist- a religious zealot. Besides featuring every stereotypical trait of a religious fanatic, the director allowed her way too much screen time, where she was given several monologues that went on way too long. She was like this in the book to, but the book made her look much more crazy and it just seemed different reading then watching. It did the job of making you hate her, but it got the point of hurting the entertainment of the movie itself. Also, be prepared for long time periods of nothing supernatural, since, as I said before, the movie focuses on the human psyche during a fearfull situation.

Overall score: 7/10

2. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    MIST is one of my favorite stories by Stephen King. He is a great composer of words.

3. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    I agree about him, and I loved the story as well- one of the only stories that can still sound creepy even if I am just telling someone about it. The movie took some liberties, but not nearly as much as others and I think it did an overall great job.

4. viper2391

viper2391 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Any spoilers? Was it worth it?

5. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Well, I don't want to ruin anything, but there is some large differences in regards to the ending, which I liked, from the book. But I think for those who liked the story that they would like the movie and should see it. Those who are looking for a fast paced, jump out of your seat horror movie, it wouldn't be worth it. The 7/10 I gave it may seem low, but while I enjoyed it, it was by no means up there with one of my favorites of all time. In general, if you are going to see it for it's story and character interaction, and if it is worth the $10 to go see it, I would have to say yes, since I don't regret one bit spending the money.

EDIT: I would also like to quickly add that the Mist isn't just some poisonous form of "evil" or anything like that. There are creatures in said mist and you do get to see a fair number of them.

6. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    Does it explain the mist in the movie?

7. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Yes, vaguely, kinda like the book.

*Spoiler*
    The military was apparently experimenting with opening portals to other dimensions. But it doesn't clearly explain if the release of the mist was a biproduct of the electric storm, or the electric storm was a biproduct of actually opening a portal.

8. jnmx2000

jnmx2000 classics

i saw this today, it was great, except for that ending, killed me, would have been better if they would have left it open with them trying to find their own way to survive in the mist, or just something different, doesn't have to be happy but man. otherwise a great movie.

9. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    Without saying much of a spoiler, I am glad the ending had finallity to it. It isn't meant to be a series- there is no sequel coming or anything, so the fact that it had something definite happening at the end rather then the books open endedness, was fine by me. For a stand alone theatrical release, it just made sense. Now, I would'nt have been upset if it was different- heck, I liked "The Thing"'s ending, but I still like the ending they went with. Maybe the DVD release will have some alternate endings. It wouldn't be too hard for them to have shot the books ending, where they just hear a radio message from Portland and decide to go there. It ends like that, so you don't know what becomes of them for sure.

10. Misatokitty

Misatokitty The Major

It's Hollywood, or will be for the eventual direct-to-DVD sequel (Sometimes They Come Back Again, anyone? Pet Sematery 2? Lawnmower Man 2? Carrie 2? etc...) so regardless of how final the ending might be, it'll be retconned or otherwise explained off.

11. aussiehippy

aussiehippy Au contraire, Blackadder.

Ebay:
    I like this story and am looking forward to seeing the film now, hope it's as good as it sounds it should be.

12. Liege Prime

News Credits:
    That may be, but generally I don't take sequels too seriously unless the writer really steps in to write it. So, yeah, I agree with you, no matter how they ended this one, I am sure if it makes enough money they will shoot for quick sequel to make a buck.

13. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    Saw The Mist on Thanksgiving.

Loved it, even though it ends differently from the novella. Then again, King gave his approval for the change so it's all good.

Darabont really knows how to handle King's works.

14. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I saw it this weekend, and I loved it. Now, if we can get a Half-Life movie thats just as good, I can die happy.

15. honestgabe

honestgabe I

Saw it on Friday with the girlfriend. Absolutely loved it.

16. Zzeezz

Zzeezz Ambassador of Music TFW2005 Supporter

Thanks for the opinions. King is one of my favorite authors, and I can't stand the way Hollywood normally treats his stories. I was interested in seeing this movie, but I'll definitely have to check it out now.

17. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

It was a damn fine adaptation of the novel. The ending bummed me out though (not in a bad way).

18. GuppyMN

GuppyMN Evil little fish

Sounds like a great movie. I'll wait until it out on DVD.

19. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

I'm getting tired of people comparing this film to The Fog (not here). It's starting to piss me off. I mean at least read the damn book before you go comparing it to The Fog.

20. n_tel_ekt

n_tel_ekt Wreaker

Havent seen but have read TOO many King stories... Not excited to see another Omni-present yet unseeable evil with no explainations. Dont get me wrong, King is good at it but Ive been fooled too many times (Still bitter over Dark Tower... Though I must say, I did kinda like 1408.... but still... an omni-present unseeable evil with no explaination!)