The Miseducation of Movie Jazz

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Autobot HipHop, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Autobot HipHop

Autobot HipHop Covert Operations

Ok, I was just thinking about my all time favorite Transformer Jazz and how he was represented in this movie. From start to finish did he ever do anything right?

Jazz's stats:

• Crashed into Stadium and did tons of damage
    • Broke the neon sign of a car dealership
    • Called kids bitches
    • Pulled an illegal drifting manuever on the highway
    • Sat in his alt mode and did nothing as Bumblee loss his legs
    • Jumped on top of brawl and got tossed away like a rag doll
    • Refused to "fall back" when Megatron was attacking
    • Told Prime to "Fire it up Optimus" as if he was the leader
    • Pestered Prime by continuosly asking "are we gonna sit here and let BB die?
    • Foolishly tried to take on the leader of the cons one-on-one
    • Made the line "No I want two (pieces)" infamous in Transformers lore.

I thougth he looked very cool and I dig his design but the more I watch this movie the more it's starting to sink in that Movie Jazz just blew and blew hard! It just took a Jazz fan a while to admit that :( 

EDIT: This is meant as a light hearted Friday post. I'm mostly joking here (except the part about jazz sucking, I thought they did him kinda wrong in this movie hehe) :) 

2. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Jazz was the lose cannon of the group what you expect

3. Autobot HipHop

I guess if that's what they were going for. But "loose cannon" was more like Cliff Jumper or Sunstreaker. Jazz was always a lot more "cooler" then that. I know, this is the movie and not G-1 but I didn't really agree with how the writers wrote Jazz into the script.

It just makes me laugh how this is the 2007 thugged out version of Jazz as compared to the more early 80's friendly neighborhood kinda Jazz.

4. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    * Crashed into Stadium and did tons of damage
    * Broke the neon sign of a car dealership
    * Called kids bitches

I'm gonna chalk that up to just being ignorant about Earth in general, and having more important things to worry about :p 

* Pulled an illegal drifting manuever on the highway

-Optimus, Ironhide, and Ratchet weren't exactly obeying ANY kind of traffic or property laws in the city either (plus Optimus is the first to pull a U-turn)

* Sat in his alt mode and did nothing as Bumblee loss his legs

-Yeah I hate that part too...and they Sam has to make him get out of the way

* Jumped on top of brawl and got tossed away like a rag doll

-It was either fight or stand there while Brawl kills everyone. Its not Jazz's fault that he's as big as Brawls LEG.

* Refused to "fall back" when Megatron was attacking

-Jazz was brave... but yeah, he kind of didn't know his limits lol

* Told Prime to "Fire it up Optimus" as if he was the leader

-Prime already was going to look at the glasses...saying "Please let this work." Plus Ratchet told him that his plan was suicide, and Ironhide always questioned him in the movie. Lets also not forget that Jazz is second in command, not bottom bitch.

* Pestered Prime by continuosly asking "are we gonna sit here and let BB die?

-Again, second in command, only one on the team who seemed to give a crap about Bumblebee, etc.

* Foolishly tried to take on the leader of the cons one-on-one
    * Made the line "No I want two (pieces)" infamous in Transformers lore.

-Jazz was brave... and foolish, but he wasn't the kind to just sit around and do nothing

5. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Unless bumblebee is blasted by missiles, in which case Jazz is content to just sit and stare.

6. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

they just didnt give the character enough development for us to like him he was just catch phrases or one line sentences. He was the most G1 of the entire lot and Mike Bay axed him and hard.

I make a point to say Mike Bay because if you watch the commentary on the HD-DVD or the pop up HUD stuff it never mentions Jazz being ripped in two WHILE he is being ripped in two. You just get mike bay and megan fox talking about about the pickup truck she drives backwards and it caught on fire

I think they could of saved the truck catching on fire part for maybe when she is actually driving it.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Jazz really didn't have a choice wether he wanted to fight Megs or not, after being blasted. Megs took him and pretty much ripped him apart despite Jazz's Struggling.

8. ckbuddha

ckbuddha Well-Known Member

I lol'd at that (is that mean?), but you can't refute the scene.

9. Autobot HipHop

Can't blame you for laughing heh. Everytime I see that scene I just shake my head like WTH is Jazz thinking or is he thinking at all?

10. Lazeric

Lazeric Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think Jazz and Ironhide had a little friendly competition going. I mean, travel (millions?) of lightyears across the universe and manage to bullseye a stadium? Two points!

But Ironhide wins, hitting the swimming pool... that's an amazing intergalactic hole in one right there!

- L -

11. NIDARAM12

NIDARAM12 Robot art guy

News Credits:
    I think the OP was talking about the scene in which Megs just appears from around the corner and Ratchet is like RETREAT but Jazz turns and fires on him instead of running away

12. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    this thread makes me want to watch the movie again...even though ive watched it everyday since it came out.
    anway, i dont necessarily think Jazz was a failure, it's just how he rolls.

13. Autobot HipHop

Lol, but Jazz racked up more property damage. Advantage Jazz. Ratchet looked like he did his job to increase some dude's insurance as well.

I'm surprised Jazz did the least amount of damage in Sam's backyard. That was about the only thing Jazz did well was hide from Sam's parents without knocking out power grids.

14. Jazz-Myn

Jazz-Myn Hottiebot

I personally think that Jazz didn't have to die in the first place. Why they picked him who knows. I know that some of you may not agree with me but I think they should bring him back. If not then Michael Bay better have one helluva storyline that continues without him. That's just me though :) 

15. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    That wasn't recklessness, that was cover fire.

16. Crimson87

Crimson87 Senior Member

Wasn't happy with the thug jazz appraoch. I was wanting the old smooth New-Orleans/Scatman jazz.

I don't know why but I could just see movie jazz asking if he had to much bling the whole time.

Again wasn't happy with the character. Maybe the personality will get reformatted if they bring him back.

17. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    That bugged me from the first viewing. I am sure it was due to budget, but they couldn't have just used another car?

Hopefully a bigger budget for number 2 will mean less of things like that.

Funny thread BTW.

18. ckbuddha

ckbuddha Well-Known Member

When I first saw it I thought maybe it was just a bad edit job, but when Sam asks him to move back I was, "WTF you doin Jazz, help your boy out!"

19. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Jazz sitting still in the final battle was a serious annoyance. It just screamed HEY LOOK WE'VE RUN OUT OF BUDGET! That or "we've got an awful editor."

20. Julliant

Julliant This space for rent.

Agreed.

Why Jazz in the first place? Why? Any newbie-bot would do. Bay is missing out on a lot of possible scenes without Jazz.

And for Jazz's death, he provided cover fire, and regardless he was caught in Meg's fusion canon blast, and quicking swooped up. Even then he remained defiant in the hands of one unfairly big mofo, round of an applause of Jazz really.