The Military Thread!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by VIZGIX, Aug 30, 2007.

1. VIZGIX

VIZGIX Smug Bastard TFW2005 Supporter

"God...Please bless our troops so that they might KICK ASS!"

This thread is dedicated to all in or with family members in the military, especially those currently deployed.

My dad is curently in Iraq right now stationed at Camp Victory. He is a Colonel in the Marines (reservist) and this is his 2nd tour. He is actually currently working as a Historian for the Marine Corps Museum.

Feel free to post with your comments, stories, experiences, etc.

I like sories :D 

I will be adding stuff too when I feel like it.

(admin lmk if there are any problems)

2. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

[​IMG]

3. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I used to get creeped out when the chaplains would pray to God for stuff like "our aim be true" and "that his hand would strike our enemies down."

And I just got Jux's joke. Lolzors.

4. DeathStorm

DeathStorm Snoochie Boochies

News Credits:
    Leaving Kuwait in two days...FINALLY!

This is my second tour here and between those and stateside deployments I've been gone almost five years in a row. I'm done after this, no more volunteering! I have four years and nine months until retirement and, God willing, that will be spent one weekend a month and 15 days in the Summer.

My thoughts and prayers are still with those who will continue to serve here, especially my best friend's wife who just got here two days ago. She'll be heading to Camp Victory for a year.

5. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    May all military people be recognized for their heroism, courage and commitment. I pray they all come back soon so they can enjoy that which they fight for

6. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

7. Dark Ramjet

Dark Ramjet Waiting patiently

News Credits:
  8. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    I'm a vet. Persian Gulf War Era. Never went overseas, 'cause once an Air Force personnelist gets assigned to the Pentagon the sentance is 6-7. ;)  The rest of it was in the ANG.

--Moony

9. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

My great great great (maybe another great, I dunno) grandfather won the Congressional Medal of Honor.

I'm required to say that every time I'm discussing the military.

10. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
  11. Talathia

Talathia TFW's Cool Little Heathen

My Grandfather was in WWII in the Navy. My Grandmom often talks about how hard it was for her.. not knowing if he was alive or dead.. just it's really amazing. They got married right before he was shipped out, and she was only 16. Just hearing her stories really makes my heart go out to those now fighting else where in the world.. may the powers above us be with you, your families and friends..

12. My03Tundra

My03Tundra LOVES TO EDIT POSTS!!

Ebay:
  13. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    I have the greatest respect for the military. They are some great and brave people.

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    A friend of mine's son was deployed to Afganistan. There were three people in the lead vehicle in an armoured convoy. They went over a mine, the driver and my friends son were injured but not killed, the interior passenger was killed, a piece of shrapnel lodged itself in his head.

My friends son blames himself for not being able to save his friend, as he recovers back here in the UK.

I also have a WW2 veteran old family friend. He used to be a bomb defuser. They would take sandbags, put them around the bomb and pretty much attempt to defuse the bomb with a fishing pole. We were at the Imperial War museum one day and he stopped at the WW2 bomb defusal exhibit, paused for a while and then told me all about his role in the war.

Scary stuff.

15. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

Both of my nephews are Marines and they leave for overseas shortly. God bless them!

16. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I love that people make videos like this, but can't be troubled to, y'know, sign up to serve in the wars they support or even provide any kind of actual, real support to soldiers. Seriously. Trite videos like that are definitely what make service worthwhile.
    I don't understand this. How does giving money to a private corporation for a license plate that 99.9% of veterans will never see translate to showing your support? And what support is it showing? Just a sort of generalized, "Hey, I support the troops!" kinda thing, or is there any kind of actual, real support that the plate indicates?

At least it's just a plate and not 8 different versions of those ribbon magnets. I hate those.

If someone wants to support the troops, the best way to do it is enlist for a few years. Failing that, I think donating to AER (or one of the other service's equivalent organizations) is an excellent alternative. Not as quite as public as video links or license plates, but either one would make an actual difference.

17. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    I tried my ass-off to enlist, and because of my health at the time they wouldn't accept me. I do sorely wish I could, too. So, if you want to go spouting your damn mouth again, be my guest.

Have you talked to a veteran or have been around them? How do YOU show your support? Have you been by a WW2 veterans bed as he is ASKING for you to help him KILL himself? Apparently you like trying to attack others for showing their support in their own way, or doing something "different," or even saying something from their own first-hand experience. I have supported my troops as much as I can (donations, sending cards, talking to veterans) so if you're going to talk-the-talk, walk-the-walk. Do us all a favor and go enlist. I'm sure they'd put you as a MIA - Medic's Incompetent Assistant.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  18. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have two tours behind me. Afghanistan, '03, with a Forward Surgical Team. Iraq, '05 / '06, as a line medic with a mech infantry unit. That's how I show my support. And I'm headed back the minute I graduate.

Health problems keep you from serving, that's fine. There's no shame in that. Then donate. Or if you can't afford that, volunteer for a service-related organization like you've apparently done. Hospital work is excellent. Alternatively, if there's an airport hub near you, the VFW probably needs volunteers to help soldiers coming home on leave, especially around Christmas for Basic Training Exodus. Don't have time for that, there are other ways that cost less and take very little time, but posting them would violate Rule #4.

The bottom line is that a license plate by itself isn't support. It's just a way for a clever entrepreneur to put a little cash in his pocket and for the buyer to be able to say, "Look, I support the troops. I've got a license plate / ribbon magnet / etc." There are better ways to support troops with the money that was spent on it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  19. My03Tundra

Ebay:
    You were a medic? Ah, shit son, I can't snap at you anymore. You have walked the walk. Sorry for sounding mad. Still a bit steamed over exchanges in the past.

Anyhow, had I gotten in I would've wanted to be a medic. Now, after all I've been through, I'm kinda put off by medicine yet I enjoy helping others.

20. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Fair enough. And I was wrong about you actually volunteering, which is something +99% who "support the troops" don't do.

If I sound crabby, it's just I'm just that I'm a little jaded over the general public's behavior the last few years.