Fan Art: The Mighty Ford KA as an ALTERNATOR

Discussion in 'Requests' started by mdenson, Feb 7, 2008.

1. mdenson

mdenson Member

Are there any british members who would have the first idea where to start/be able to build me a Ford KA Cliffjumper?

The reason I'm asking is that my girlfriend just bought a KA in "Deep Rosso Red" and has called it Cliffjumper (she was going to call it Bumblebee but the KA's not yellow!).

2. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

Find a Ford KA model in 1:24 scale (or thereabouts) and then look for Lobo's instructions (on these very boards) on how to re-shell an Alternator.

3. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Re-shelling an existing Alt is one way, but it's not the only one, and not always the best.

But definitely, the most important thing you're gonna need to get hold of is a 1:24 KA model, preferably in plastic (as it'll be easier to cut than die-cast, and work out lighter too). Check around e-Bay, and have a gander at your local model shops - ask at the counter if they haven't got anything, the guys who work there usually really know their stuff, and they may well be able to order stuff in specially for you if necessary.

As I said, re-shelling an Alt is one way you can do it (as Spekkio said, Lobo's tutorial is an excellent guide), but naturally cars at the same scale will still vary in size, so you may have to work out what Alts would be closest in size to the KA.

Another thing to look at is scratchbuilding. Obviously it's a fair bit more involved, but as long as you plan it out well, you should be fine. The key things I'd recommend to get started on such a project would be styrene sheet and tube (sheets would need to be of varying thicknesses, the thicker stuff will be important for the structural work), and ready-made joints are always handy. I don't know if you've kitbashed before, but if you don't have spare TFs you can use for parts, then Lego Bionicles are a great source of ball joints, and Knights Kingdom (and to a lesser extent, Exoforce) have very handy ready-made ratchet joints (great for load-bearing joints like hips and knees, as ball-and-socket jobbies can get loose quickly if they have to carry too much weight).

4. mdenson

mdenson Member

I have never done kit-bashing before, but if I can get the parts and find the time to do it, I'd love to have a go. The closest I've been is customizing Citadel Minatures for my cousin.

Thanks for the great advice though guys, as I'm new here, I haven't got a clue where to find Lobo's tutorial. Any chance of a link?

If all goes to plan, I may try a Mk 1 Audi TT for my mate too!

5. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

The re-shelling tutorial's here. There's quite a lot of other handy articles in the 'Tutorials and How-Tos' section (you'll be able to go to it directly from that tutorial, just click the link in the 'breadcrumbs'); it's worth having a scan through to see what you can pick up.

The Citadel customising will definitely stand you in good stead. A lot of the skills I use now were ones that I originally learned converting GW stuff, and I know plenty of other people came through the same way. But of course, you'll also pick up a lot of new tricks as well. ;) 

6. mdenson

mdenson Member

It may be more difficult than I first thought, can't find any Ka models in the right scale, however, I don't have a good feeling about a decent Audi R8 body swap on the RX-8 alternator frame!

I suppose I might try a small scale 'generic' custom for the Ka.

7. Ramrider

Ramrider TF Art Lad

Well, you could always practice your skills on a cheaper fig. Maybe you could get hold of a small cheap plastic car (KA or otherwise), some styrene and such, and see if you can turn it into a robot...