The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Season 2

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by mx-01 archon, Jul 6, 2007.

1. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Announcement pending July 7th!

I can't wait for this, if only to see how they can possibly top the infectious first season. I'm not waiting for a batch torrent for this, I'll be drooling for more week after week as it gets subbed.

2. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

I'm hoping for an adaptation of the Disappearance story arc, it makes the most sense considering it's the longest story arc after the Melancholy. Of course there should be a few short stories interspersed in between as well like the first season.

3. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

There's how many novels for them to adapt? 7 or so? :)  I think they've only gone through 1 of them with a bit from the others. I cant wait for more Haruhi and, of course, Mikuru molesting.

Time to bring out the Haruhi-ism .sig soon :) 

4. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member

Twitter:
    YouTube:
    w00000000000000t!

5. The621

The621 Fuck you, that's why!

News Credits:
    :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol  :lol 

6. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    It's July 7th, any news?

While we're on the subject, would someone care to break it down to me on why The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi is such a huge phenomenon?

I've watched the first season (well half of it), and I could not tolerate Haruhi as character, so I kinda dropped it.

So I'd like to hear from a fan, what is it that you see in the characters and/or show that is so appealing?

And just in case my post comes off as a bit condescending, that is not my intent, I'm really just curious. :) 

7. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    It's very much a love it or hate it series, and really does depend on whether you like Haruhi as a character or not (although give her a chance, as you've missed most of her character development). It's also pretty reliant on whether you find Kyon's particular brand of dry wit funny or not.

Really, though, at the halfway point, you haven't seen any of the show-stopping episodes. There's some flat-out amazing sequences in the last half.

I think there's lots of reasons why its become a phenomenon in and of itself. First off, it's fresh. There hadn't been a series before that's done things quite like Haruhi. Sure, there've been parody animes before. And there's been plenty of slice-of-life school comedies as well. But there hadn't been any blending the two genres in such a seemless way, and one as able to reach in so many different directions as Haruhi. This is topped by production values not commonly seen in anime like this. The animation is at all times fluid and lively, and with an unmatched attention to detail. Then there's the way the pacing likes to keep you on your toes, suddenly bowling you over with crazy action sequences or other similarly amazing events which by all rights, shouldn't normally even be there. And then there's also the oddball pacing, what with the show being broadcast "out of order", which plays to the audience's intelligence, rather than letting the show become slapsticky and just plain silly like most parody shows.

And of course, you can't forget the end credits, which are just so goddamned addicting to watch.

8. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Thanks for the well thought out explanation, archon.

Yeah, I really can't stand Haruhi as a character (no offense to anyone else), but my first impressions of her from earlier episodes are still deeply cemented in my cranium. So much so that there's not much motivation for me to keep watching. The rest of the characters I don't mind (Kyon I quite like for that matter), but not enough to really get me back to watching it.

And yeah, dance openings and credits have become a trademark for KyoAni studio. As far as Haruhi's art and animation goes, I cannot think of much others that can top or match it. (Well besides other KyoAni anime titles :D )

9. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    I've never heard of this before. It sounds like it may be good - also sounds like something I might hate.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  10. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Give it a shot at least. It's a very intelligent comedy series, and either you'll laugh 'till your sides hurt, or it won't speak to you, in which case you can move on with your life like nothing happened *shrug*. At only 14 episodes, it's not a major time sink.

And it's a very re-watchable show. There's something about its writing style that instantly makes scenes hilarious, and yet somehow not entirely "memorable". So you'll finish watching the series, and leave it alone for awhile, and then rewatch an episode or two, and it'll still feel somewhat fresh to you. At least, that's how I feel. I've watched some episode 3, 4, maybe 5 times over, with significant cooldown time inbetween, and I'm amazed at how many of the jokes or scenes I'd forgotten, and they make me laugh just as hard as before.

But really, you've got to see episode 12 to really appreciate Haruhi's character growth. It's a really cute episode, and really gives you a sense that there is in fact hope for this bossy, selfish, and totally insane girl. Not to mention that it revolves around a major scene that kicks serious ass, one that you'll want to watch over and over and over again.

11. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

Where is a good place to watch it (1st season)?

12. MegaMoonMan

MegaMoonMan www.megamoonman.com TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    So is it dark and violent, or is it more along the lines of something stupid like Sailor Moon?

I won't waste my time on a Sailor Moon clone, no thanks. Nothing girly and cute.

13. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Where is a good place? Not sure what you mean exactly, but one should be able to acquire the DVD box set for the first season from any anime shop.

It's not dark and violent, though it's definitely no Sailormoon. All I know is that the intended audience are adults, and the genres include comedy, science fiction, and maybe some harem.

This is one anime that I really have trouble equating it with any other. It's that unique.

Beware the eccentric, bossy, imposing, and self-centered main girl however. That was what turned me off.

14. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Ah not quite. Don't forget, people here in South East Asia have easy access to the Taiwan or HK Region 3 releases (among other questionable releases) . But as you can see, Master Megatron lives in the US, where such Region 3 releases are not as readily availible.

As of now, only the first volume of Region 1 Haruhi DVDs has been released in the US which contains only the first 4 episodes (in chronological order rather than the TV broadcast order) so the series has yet to be released as a single boxset for the US. Each of the current individual volumes have 2 versions, a special and regular edition. Since you are a casual anime fan trying to get into the series, I'd reccomend just going for the regular edition since all the extras won't exactly appeal to you straight away. (I got the special edition of the first volume myself)

Well, I'm suprised nobody mentioned the video put out by Kyoani on the 7/7/07. In typical Kyoani fashion, it was just a mysterious live-action video of some security cameras at a school which manage capture some interesting going-ons at the school one particular night on Tanabata (A Japanese festival with chinese origins that unsuprisingly falls on 7/7/7 as well) This definitely confirms my suspicion that the main storyline for the next season, will most likely be the "Disappearance" story arc from the novels.

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    harem is a genre?! o_O 

16. DilaZirK

DilaZirK Is bullheaded.

News Credits:
    Oh yar, you're right. Silly me.

Yep. Well, as far as the realm of anime goes at least.

17. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    Pretty much, since there're so many animes that follow that formula. Easier than saying "romance where the guy can't decide who he likes best out of a whole gaggle of girls who are inexplicably fawning over him up until the last episode, while all sorts of 'ecchi' situations happen in the meantime".

If you watch it, I highly recommend you do it in broadcast order first. Which means that if you're buying the North American releases, don't watch them straight through. The broadcast order has a much better sense of pacing, spreading the major dramatic plot thread across the entire series, and bringing a better sense of mystery and excitement with it. The chronological DVD order instead peaks dramatically at episode 7, then becomes a series of random and largely unrelated adventures, and ends on a slow, character-building episode.

If you're downloading the series, or if you buy a bootleg DVD set, the episodes would likely be in broadcast order.

For your reference, if you decide to watch it from the officially released DVDs, broadcast order goes as such (with reference to which disk they're on, and which episode they are on said disk):

1) Episode 00: The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina (vol.1, 1st episode)
    2) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya I (vol.1, 2nd episode)
    3) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya II (vol.1, 3rd episode)
    4) The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya (vol. 2, 4th episode)
    5) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya III (vol.1, 4th episode)
    6) Remote Island Syndrome part 1 (vol.3, 2nd episode)
    7) Mysterique Sign (vol.3, 1st episode)
    8) Remote Island Syndrome part 2 (vol.3, 3rd episode)
    9) Someday in the Rain (vol.4, 3rd episode)
    10) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya IV (vol.2, 1st episode)
    11) The Day of Sagittarius (vol.4, 2nd episode)
    12) Live-a-Live (vol.4, 1st episode)
    13) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya V (vol.2, 2nd episode)
    14) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya VI (vol.2, 3rd episode)

Only the first two disks have been released thus far.

Similarly, if you download the series or whatever and wish to view it in DVD order, using the above numbered listing, the order goes as such: 1, 2, 3, 5, 10, 13, 14, 4, 7, 6, 8, 12, 11, 9.

If you want to watch it in true chronological order, instead watch episode 1 (Episode 00: The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina) after episode 8 (Remote Island Syndrome Part 2), but before episode 12 (Live-a-Live). That's mostly just an aside though. Not watching it as the first episode really spoils the fun of it.

The whole thing in this regard is needlessly complicated. I really want to know what Kadokawa Pictures got up their butt to force chronological order on the fans of the series. Half the fun of the series is its offbeat sense of pacing and drama, and they just dumbed it down by removing all of it. Once I finish buying the DVDs, I'm ripping all the files and rebuilding myself a set in the proper order.

18. Master Megatron

Master Megatron Action Bastard

^ Ok, the broadcast order screwed me up. Thanx. :) 

19. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

If you do start off watching ep 00, keep in mind that this is NOT indicative of the show as a whole. While funny as hell, it's more of a combo tribute to bad student films, while giving teasers for some of the strangeness that comes up later. it also spoils a lot of the upcoming surprises, although you wouldnt really guess it from watching.

If you dont mind the added expense, the deluxe editions of the us release (starting with volume 2) have an extra CD that shows the series in broadcast order as opposed to chronological order.

As a note, 'Days of Sagitarius' is probably my favorite episode of the bunch, mostly because of all the sci fi 'space battle' anime parodies involved.

20. mx-01 archon

News Credits:
    "Launch the Gun***!"
    *fullscreen mosaic censoring of Gundam launch sequence*

:D 

And Haruhi's flying dropkick is glorious. I wonder what kind of running start she needed for that?