The Meaning of the Word, "Cadet"

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by psj333, Sep 10, 2009.

1. psj333

psj333 Banned

In Transformers: Animated Episode #25: Autoboot Camp, it has been revealed that Bumblebee, Bulkhead, Waspinator, Ironhide, and Longarm are all cadets. You know, I did a search on the word, cadet in one of the online dictionaries available, and this is what I find:

ca·det [ kə dét ] (plural ca·dets)

noun
    Definition:

1. military trainee: a young man or woman who is training to become a full member of the armed forces or the police force, especially a student at a military or naval academy

2. young person in uniformed organization: somebody of school age who attends a military school or is a member of a uniformed organization with a military theme

3. younger son: a younger son or brother ( dated )

4. ( slang )
    Same as pimp

[Early 17th century. < French, originally Gascon dialect capdet "younger son" (because noble Gascon families traditionally sent younger sons into the army) < Latin caput "head"]

ca·det·ship noun

Based on the information given above, does that mean that Bumblebee, Bulkhead, Ironhide, Waspinator, and Longarm were all in their mid-teens way up to their twenties? Since Bumblebee is the youngest member, who do you think is the oldest?

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Seeing as they don't age the way humans do, and that cadet would be an assigned rank regardless of age, I don't think the one proves the other.

After all, the Autobot cadets are not younger "sons" (that we know of), nor are they in a Napoleonic French military.

Its merely a case of the word have roots in situations that are no longer true. A cadet in a youth corps (Air Cadets, Sea Cadets, etc.) would not be the same as a cadet in military college, right?

3. psj333

psj333 Banned

Here, Aernaroth. I'll give you another clue. In Generation One, Ironhide was old. In Robot in Disguise, his age was unknown, but quite possibly middle-aged. In Energon, he was young. In The Movie, he was old again. And in Animated, he is finally young again, although he still retained his G1 appearance but only orange instead of red, and much more bigger, taller, and muscular than the original. Perhaps, this information will give you a better clue of exactly what I'm talking about.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Bee's probably the youngest, with Wasp, Bulkhead and Ironhide all older than him but not by much. I'd say Longarm's the oldest.

5. Sharktibolt

Sharktibolt Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Except most of the shows aren't connected to each other. The Ironhides in G1, Energon, and Animated are NOT the same robot. They just share the name.

Cadet may refer to someone young for humans, but for Transformers it could have a whole different meaning. It could mean something like 'someone who is in the beginning of military training'.

And let's not also forget that Longarm is Shockwave in disguise. He's undoubtedly much older than any of them, by a long shot.

6. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
  7. psj333

psj333 Banned

Wheeljack Prime, I'm not talking about the Transformers' ages. I just want to know more about the word "cadet" means. That's all.

8. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure I know exactly what you're talking about. That all the Autobots in boot camp are kids. Like you've said before.

However, the proof you've given is coincidental, and shows if anything, that his age is inconsistent or unknown from continuity to continuity. Nor does this pattern allow the same conclusion to be applied to the other cadets.

Are they young, compared to the rest of the cast? Sure, they're played as "young", inexperienced characters, though their ages in relation to eachother is unknown (Ironhide looks a lot older than other cadets, frankly). But that doesn't mean they're children or adolescents, and even if they were, what is considered young and adolescent in cybertronian society may be vastly different.

Why are you so hell-bent on having the cadets be 16? All cadet means, in this context, is the rank of someone in military training. They could have used "Trainee" or "Sub-private" or even "Mini" or "Micro", and it would have made no difference. But they went with "Cadet", a commonly used rank in military training academies, from Police to the Navy to the Air Force, as it was the Autobot Military Academy. The origins of the word likely has no bearing on the argument you're trying to make, and you're reading way too deeply into it.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    pot-ay-to pot-ah-to.

There's quite an overlap in these two topics, almost enough that differences are superficial. You didn't need to recreate this topic.

10. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    :banghead: 

And facepalm.

I don't care probaby bee since he is acting like the most immaturest, and bulkhead.

And you are really obsessed with TFA and ages of bots :crazy: 

11. shibamura_prime

shibamura_prime Jumpin' Jellyfish! Super Mod

News Credits:
    Actually, you ARE talking about their ages:

12. $shockwave$

$shockwave$ Banned

News Credits:
    The oldest Setinel Minor.

13. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Cadet = Officer-in-Training. Period.

It has nothing to do with age, just with the point they are in in their careers - namely the starting point.

--Moony

14. sto_vo_kor_2000

sto_vo_kor_2000 Banned

None of that lead anywhere.

And by the way.....Animated Ironhide was Red not Orange.

And on that..........in the context in question Cadet means officer in training.

It is true most cadets are young it is not true that a cadet must be young to be called a cadet.

15. Tacitron

Tacitron An exceptional nut sack

Ebay:
    I thought Cadet was one of the original Mousketeers?