The Meaning of Bodywork

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Meta777, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

As we know, ROTF featured our old buddy Starscream, who has decided that when one is going to destroy the sun, one must do it in style! Voila, he's bearing some wicked cool Cybertronian tattoos. Pretty nice look, Screamer, I have to say.

But here's the thing; what do they mean? Why has Screamer decided to paint some fancy lines and symbols and stuff on himself?

Time to theorise!

The logical explanation is some kind of war tattoo. He's perking his bodywork to show off his power and cunning, to inspire him as he flies into battle, to strike fear into the hearts and sparks of his enemies as they recognise the dread bird of prey gunning for them, a message to the insects: "I don't need to disguise myself anymore; you are already dead by the time you get a close look!"

Alternatively, the tattoos are actually swear words! He's writing foul language over himself to horrify the Autobots!

Ratchet: "Hey, what's that on his knee..... LEAVE MY MOTHER OUT OF THIS, YOU JERK!"
    Ironhide: "There's one on his chest addressed to me........ HEY! TAKE THAT BACK, YOU SON OF A-"

Or maybe, just maybe, they don't mean anything at all. Megatron and Soundwave drew them on him while he was having a nap for sh*tz and gigglez.

(Starscream never figured out why those two started sniggering everytime he walked by)

Well, what do you guys think? What does Starscream's new paintjob mean to you?

2. roccondil5

roccondil5 sculptor

I actually think all of your theories are very good! I especially like to imagine megs and shockwave painting stuff on him! lololol
    But I think that since he doesn't need to disguise himself anymore, he just did it so ppl could see it really was him. He liked the new alt mode, but this is kind of a way to bring back his pride in being a cybertron.
    OR, that´s actually cybertronian makeup, and screamer just likes to be FABULOUS! :D 

3. Sso02V

Sso02V Injector Has a Posse

News Credits:
    Ancient Cybertronian warrior symbols. He says it himself as he carves them into his armor in Alliance #1.

4. ShOcKwAvE1213

ShOcKwAvE1213 THE DARK KNIGHT RISES

Aha this

5. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

That's pretty damn cool :D 

6. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    I'd always assumed they were basically a sign of arrogance like you were saying, and that makes the most sense within the closed narrative of the movies.

Neat to hear the "war tattoos" explanation put forth in the expanded media too, though. Definitely makes sense since they made a point of giving the line pointing them out as "alien tattoos" to Epps, himself a rather heavily-tattooed soldier. Always thought that was cool conceptual echo between the two. Makes it make more sense that HE in particular would understand what they were and take notice of them.

There's also the matter of that "Glyph of the Primes" or whatever on Optimus and Sentinel. Always made me wonder if there was a secret Cybertronian glyph code key tucked away in the production art somewhere like some other movies have done.

In The Crow: City of Angels, for instance, there's a code to the custom graffiti in the back of most scenes, and you can translate the hidden text with the production art book's code to kind of enhance the symbolism of certain scenes. It almost kind of narrates the movie in a sneaky, cryptic kinda way.

Or A Perfect Circle, the band, has a series of "runes" they created for all their artwork which is actually a coded alphabet that spells out song titles and stuff but mostly just looks cool and mysterious unless you know about it already.

Always hoped we'd get to see what was REALLY all over Starscream and the others someday!

;) 

7. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

They were war tattoos. I would have preferred it if he left them off to be honest. Or at least given the general audience a reason for them.

8. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    ^ Well, again, with the Epps connection it IS kinda there...just very, very subtle.

9. Ironhide1706

Ironhide1706 Elessar Telcontar

No general audience member will be looking for a guy covered in tattoos to say something about alien tattoos in a movie about giant robots. It's just looking to far into stuff again. But oh well. I think Screamer should have been questioned by Megatron to his new look aboard the Nemesis and then Starscream could simply say "revenge".

10. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Good point you have. When I first saw the tattoos, I thought Screamer was simply making himself look tough and confident, like a tribal warrior.

But yeah, it would be nice for someone to point out in the film why Screamer has his new look.

Megatron: "Why the tattoos?"
    Starscream: "To show my loyalty to Cybertron and my willingness to fight for the Decepticon cause!"
    Megatron: *cough*SYCOPHANT*cough*

11. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Oh, ffs.

I was a general audience member.

So was my friend who mentioned the tattoos on Epps to me on the way out of the theater, which prompted me to point out the connection in the first place.

I've also heard a bunch of people I don't even know talking about the tattoos on Epps and how cool they are. So those didn't go unnoticed, at least.

And we're talking about the only two characters out of countless others who actually have tattoos visible, and they're both soldiers, and one actually points out the tattoos on the other.

Forget the fact that the odds against this "coincidence" are practically astronomical.

Okay, sure, I'm just crazy here in even suggesting it wasn't completely accidental.

*rolls eyes*

12. FeelingLuckyPnk

FeelingLuckyPnk Decepticon Punks!

Because bitches love tattoos :) 

13. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    Did anyone know about this?

It's a tribal thing. I've seen glyphs across most of the bodies of the Transformers in these films. I always thought they were writing their own name on it or something, in case they couldn't be recognized in Earth mode (of course them knowing each other makes the whole thing redundant, but that's what I thought LOL).

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  14. roccondil5

roccondil5 sculptor

see, you have a point (again making a victim of youself, but hey, I've lost hope there^^) and I agree with you to some extent.

But while I think it´s obvious that the tatooed soldier would notice the tatoos for what they are, I think Epps did it because he's, you know, the team spoter. The laser designator type dude person. He´s used to spoting and identifying targets, and being a guy who knows tatoos would identify them as such. He doesn´t really know what they are, but to him they look like "alien tattoos". Wich is exectly what they are. No deeper meaning here, just plain logic^^

15. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Dude, you made my freaking day. Bro-fist!

16. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Glad to hear we're pretty close to being on the same page on this one!

I never suggested there was all that much of a "deeper meaning" to it, simply that the split-second takeaway from the arrangement of it all was basically, "soldiers like tattoos, even those from separate galaxies, and they recognize their own, even across species."

It's just a shorthand for getting across as quickly as possible all we really need to know about the tattoos on Starscream.

And I wasn't "making a victim of myself," you've both as much as said, "ZOMG, thurr goes crazy-Haz with his crazy nonsense again!" when it makes enough sense even YOU agree with me.

WTF.

17. roccondil5

roccondil5 sculptor

I do. You just don't need to be so defensive all the time^^
    And I agree about the soldiers wearing tatoos, but I think Epps was the one who spotted it cause he's the team spotter and having the tatoos himself just gave him a little more insight. But yes, it is a good way to subtly get the point across.
    But as I said in some other thread, I think starscream and the rest of the decepticons chose their alt modes based on their mission. They were trying to infiltrate the army. But in ROTF there is no need for that, so starscream, being vain and arrogant, chose to proudly display his cybertronian heritage by displaying his warrior marks

18. FeelingLuckyPnk

FeelingLuckyPnk Decepticon Punks!

\m/

^^internet bro-fist :) 

19. Hazekiah

Hazekiah Banned

News Credits:
    Sensible enough, I don't disagree with any of that.

Except I've been fielding attacks practically non-stop since I joined here.

My profile wall.

My PMs.

My threads.

Half my posts.

The cyberbully threads dedicated to me.

The mods and admins repeatedly intervening to tell everyone to back off.

It's just kept on rollin' for almost two months straight now, though.

I'll stop being "defensive" when I'm no longer the whipping boy of the boards, thanks.

20. BLOODRAGED189

BLOODRAGED189 Getting a job to buy TFs.

News Credits:
    I thought he earned them in cybertronian gladiatorial rings. (like the one Megatron was in(IDW))