The McMissle thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cheetatron, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

2. BigPrime3000

BigPrime3000 Well-Known Member

I love how the guy who got hit with the cup is being all high and mighty when it sounds a lot like he was being one of those jackasses that swerves in and out of stand-still traffic because they think they have a right to move faster than all of the other people that are stuck in the exact same situation.

3. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Dang...I'll be if she knew she was going to be charged under the 'missle' law, she would've found something heavier to chuck at the idjit.

4. Jux

Jux Please, call me Steve. Veteran

She broke the law.

The law doesn't say "you can throw objects at other cars, as long as they're just cups of coffee." It says you can't throw anything.

5. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Dumb shits throw cup at dumb shits and ends up in jail thanks to dumb shit enforcement of laws. How interesting.

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    stupid news abt stupid ppl.

7. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Well, this is America. There's scant important news about intelligent people about, and who wants to read that anyway? :/

8. MikeTSI

MikeTSI The Reclaimer TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Yeah, she was wrong. She admits that. But 2 years in jail is ridiculous. I've known people who threw bricks through a car windshield off an overpass and got less than 2 years.

9. Jux

Unfortunately for her, she broke a state law that has a required 2 year minimum sentence.

So how has justice not been served? I thought that's how it worked - you break law, you face consequences.

10. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Justice is a tricky word to use. Yeah, she broke the law according to a very literal definition. But laws aren't always just.

The law even acknowledges that fact by giving the judge the opportunity to reduce the sentence.

11. Mr. Wholesome

Mr. Wholesome WWOD What Would Ops Do?

Ebay:

Exactly. As soon as you start treating cases like this differently, others will start getting off of even more serious criminal acts.

It would be like arguing about shooting someone. "Yeah I shot him judge, but it was only with a .22." You still shot the guy though, just like she still threw the cup of ice.

12. Jux

Then that's the judge's discretion. But the jury sentenced the minimum, which means justice hath been served. Until the judge says otherwise, the law has been upheld in the way it was meant to be upheld.

I'm tired of all these cases coming up and people getting media exposure just by whining "oh, it was just a cup of coffee!" or something. Ignorance is not an excuse.

13. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As Mr. Crusher knows all too well...
    [​IMG]

PLEASE tell me someone gets the reference.:D 

14. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    I'm not going to make any outrageous statements about how the judge or the law are in the wrong here. They're not. They served sentence based on the law.

...but, on the flip side, I see an awful lot of this type of driving on the beltway around the DC area all the time. People lose their temper. Additionally, I can sympathize with and understand why the woman felt compelled to toss the coffee, and I root for her because of that. Assholes that cut you off are just that. In this case, they got what they deserved - a hot cup of coffe all over the interior of their car.

...just turns out they're a bunch of whiners. And whining = legal ramifications = justice = obeying the rules of the American court system. So, yeah, like llamatron said, everyone involved here is an ass.

15. Jux

I get the reference, but it's from a terrible episode.

16. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I think this is one of those semantic differences.

It seems (and tell me if I'm wrong) that justice to you is a correct application of the laws created by the gov't. From that standpoint, you're absolutely correct, justice has been served.

To me, justice carries a moral context--what's 'right.' And what's right is usually what's legal, but not always. In this case, I feel like sentencing a woman to two years (which you know she won't serve all, if even most, of) for acting like an idiot isn't just. She's wrong, absolutely, and should be punished. But I'm a big believer in "no harm, no foul," as long as no harm was possible or intended.
    I don't feel that the current sentence (I'm still waiting on the judge's ruling) reflects that.

17. Jux

So what happens if the jury goes "you know what, she broke the law, but hey, it was only coffee, let's let her go with probation and a slap on a wrist" and suddenly everyone else ever convicted under this law wants to appeal because they got the minimum? Should every prior case be reviewed for reasons to go AGAINST the letter of the law?

18. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Indeed. Those early episodes haven't held up well. Hard to believe it's been 20 years.

As to the thread topic, I hate to see so severe a punishment for what on the surface seems like a pretty insignificant infraction... but it's probably a bad precedent to just let it go because it happened to be a non-lethal projectile in this particular case.

19. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

How did the ice turn into coffee in this discussion?

20. honestgabe

honestgabe I

like that children's game, telephone or whisper down the lane.