2D Artwork: The Matrix Saga

Discussion in 'Transformers Fan Art' started by Bumblebee765, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alright, back after I saw Revenge of The Fallen, but before Dark of the Moon (late 2009) I had this idea for a comic I would illustrate of what happened between those films. It was mostly about the Autobots and Decepticons going after the Matrix, since it's fate wasn't really known at the end of RoTF. Then the project got put on hold, and eventually I saw DotM, and Optimus had the Matrix. Then I learned that apparently he went back to get it from the Solar Harvester, so since my comic couldn't fit in continuity I abandoned it. Her's the artwork I had for it before it was abandoned:
    Issue One Cover:
    The cover of "Issue One" featured the Autobot insignia with Blurr's alternate mode and head in front of it:
    [​IMG]
    (Blurr turned into a Ferrari, by the way :wink: )
    I had a scene where Optimus Prime narrated the time between RoTf and Issue One:
    [​IMG]
    While Optimus was narrating the scenes changed, one of those scenes was Autobot Protoforms coming to Earth:
    [​IMG]
    After Prime's narration there was a scene of Blurr and Downshift (yellow Jaguar) fighting. I also have another image of them fighting in a different panel, but I haven't scanned it yet since I never finished it. I'll get it up soon.
    [​IMG]
    Here's the next panel, and also the last one I did. Downshift has just shot Blurr.
    [​IMG]
    I also have some character art for this comic in a notebook, but the book is in a box in the storage unit since I'm moving soon, but when I get it unpacked I'll post them right away! :D 

Attached Files:

2. BLOODRAGED189

BLOODRAGED189 In it for the engineering

News Credits:
    Cool! Downshift's a bit lanky though, and it kind of looks like him and Blurr are cat fighting.

3. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks! Yeah, Blurr's holding Downshift's fists in his hands. The next panel is a lot more interesting:
    [​IMG]
    Sadly this image was never finished, as you can probably tell. I had finished the line art, but I had only just started to color it when I abandoned the project. :(  This is also the last piece of artwork I have for this. :wink: 

Attached Files:

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    I really like this a lot.

I think you should keep pushing your illustration skills. Also, if you're going to continue using crayon or colored pencils as your medium, I highly suggest researching some coloring techniques with them. Some AMAZING work has been done with each of those mediums.

Also, think of figure dynamics. The panel of the fight could really be pushed with simply different dynamics. Along with this, also consider your point of view or "camera angle". Is a side shot the best view for a fight? Could the scuffle look more dynamic with a different angle? (that one is rhetorical, as the answer is "yes" :) ). Think if simply the pov angle was changed where we are very close up on this fight looking up.

Looking at the Prime, consider the figure's proportions. I think you have a good attention to detail (as noted in Blurr and Downshift). Sometimes, when we are drawing details, we can't see the forest for the trees. Prime's head, for example, is way too large, even though you did very well to capture key details, as I think you did a good job streamlining the character design just a bit :) 

I hope my comments here have helped some and that you continue your drawing! Thanks for sharing! :thumb 

5. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Thanks! :)  I'll have to research some colored pencil techniques (I never use crayon, I just don't like the way they color :wink: ), thanks for the tip!

I usually don't illustrate fight scenes, but now that you mention it the fight scene would have looked much better looking over Blurr's shoulder with a slight "camera" tilt. My proportions have gotten much better since this, but I do still tend to make heads a bit too big. :eek:  Thankfully I do usually look closer at the heads due to that.

Thanks for your comments! :)  Keep a lookout for some of my other work! :wink: 

6. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    If you can mind the crudeness of my sketch, this is what I was talking about:

[​IMG]

That's the fighting scene, just at a different angle. This choice puts me closer to the action. It's dynamic (can could even be pushed further), and the struggle can be felt.

[​IMG]

This is the death scene. The dead body is closer to me, allowing me to feel the impact much closer. Also, the killer is more ominous, standing over the corpse defiantly. Also, I used the perspective of the background buildings to point to the killer, further emphasizing the drama.

These would be the kinds of suggestions I'd make here. I hope it's of some help :) 

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012
  7. Bumblebee765

Bumblebee765 Wrecker

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, those are amazing! You're right, the different perspective, especially of the first one, make the scenes much better and more dynamic! I also really like your take on the second one too, those angles just work so much better! I'll have to remember this next time I draw fight scenes. Thanks, it's been more than just some help! :wink: 

8. Superquad7

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Glad I could help :)