The Matrix is such an awesome movie...

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by McBradders, Aug 11, 2009.

1. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Seriously. One of the best realised pieces of genuine Science Fiction in years. Great casting. Great performances. Great premise. Great script. Great action. Great balls of fire.

It really could have been the Star Wars for the internet generation but the lackluster second movie and dire third seems to have killed it off for good in the minds of the public at large. With Neo's journey to becoming the One truly underway, the fate of Zion and the Matrix forever playing on our imaginations, for me, the sequels ruined everything the first movie did adding inconsistency after inconsistency, the wrong things over-explained while some of the burning questions left forever unanswered.

What could the sequels have done different to make them effective and worthwhile additions to the mythos in the first?

2. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I would like to see a prequel movie about the first Machine-Human War (no not the Animatrix).

3. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    The Matrix did nothing for me. I remember seeing the trailers for the first one thinking WOW! But then not caring much for the movie. I did like the twins in the second movie. I don't even remember the third one. The Peter Chung part of the Animatrix was cool.

4. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

I agree it was really a great movie. Though I'm not as hard on the sequels as a lot of people are. I actually spent about 6 months of my life editing them together into one single 3.5 hour movie in efforts to make it a better experience. I think in all I cut close to 45 minutes out and it did turn out better than the originals, but admittedly, some of the edits were sloppy. I think the biggest failures of the sequels were the facts that zion was completely uninteresting and the inhabitants were just even worse, that and the third movie takes way too much time away from Neo, and there was an inconsistent tone through all 3 movies.

5. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

Good question.
    I'm a major fan of the first film and was gutted by how bad the sequels were. I've got into numerous discussions both online and with friends as to how the sequels SHOULD have been done, and personally I've come to the conclusion that they should have just left it at one film.

The more I think about the first film, the more I feel that ends perfectly, at the perfect point in Neo's story. I can't see where the tale can go from there, certainly not in any way that isn't anti-climactic. I mean yeah, we could explore the world a bit more, see Zion, see lots of cool fights and so forth, but it feels like the real meat of the entire tale, Neo's ascendancy to the role of The One, has already been told.

As it is, the first movie ends with a wonderful soaring sensation that the human race is either just about to be liberated from the matrix, or just about to take control of it and ascend to virtual godhood with Neo and, for me, it's more exciting to leave the tale there than to actually watch the next chapter and see what would probably be nothing more than an extended and anti-climatic coda. The existing sequels for me pretty much prove that the Wachowski's (spelling?) had never intended to make any more Matrix movies, and were really struggling for ways to advance the world in any meaningful way.

To cut my rambling short: Given the ending of the first movie, I can't think of any ways in which a sequel could have genuinely expanded on the tale, or taken it to a "bigger high." But then I do tend to lack imagination. :lol 

6. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    A few minor character things i would have changed in the sequels:

The whole thing of Morpheous actually being "outranked" completely killed that character in the sequels. In the first he was a bad ass leader of what we thought to be the only humans out there in the "real" world when really he was just being told what to do or not to do. That annoyed me greatly.

Also Zion didn't help. First movie there is a small ship with danger all around if we knew more ships existed along with an Army why would we care about how they are doing, another ship could just save the day.

I would have made Zion smaller and more desperate feeling, like those people are always hiding & on the run. And everyone who is free to be behind Morpheous instead of opposing him so much.

Totally agree. It felt they suddenly realised there was more money to be made so the sequels were made to get it.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  7. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I think what would have saved the entire franchise is that when Neo dies at the end of the third film, for him to wake in this Utopian paradise. The other humans would walk up to him, and explain that the Matrix and the "real world" were all a simulation. That only the best, honest, and noblest of people that were deemed worthy through the trials that both simulation offered could live in paradise. Trinity would be waiting for him and they'd walkout together to live their lives.

8. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Not existed at all IMO. Not just because the ones we got were a bunch of pretentious pseudo-religious arse, but because the original was so much a product of its time and the Wachowskis cribbing off other peoples work that any sequel was bound to have some degree of horse beating and creative bankruptcy.

9. McBradders

Yeah, Morpheus was kinda relegated to "that crazy guy we keep around cuz he's good at something or other" rather than a real figurehead.

Damn, I hadn't even thought about that. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu-.

Also, why the shitty clothes when they can make hundreds of fucking robots? What? :lol 

Very much this. Still, there was more that could have been explored meaningfully instead of flying off at the most ludicrous of tangents imaginable.

10. 1govnor1

1govnor1 Giggidy

The first Matrix movie was epic. The next two had their moments of brillance. I actually liked the Twins in the second movie. Zion was disappointing, the entire group dance/orgy/wet t-shirt contest sequence was a waste of time.

11. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    I don't know, I always thought it was a dumbed down and gunned-up version of the vastly superior Dark City.

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Honestly, I loved all the Matrix movies. I didn't like what Zion ended up being, but it wasn't my creation to judge it either. I watched I-Robot a while back and always felt that this "could" have existed as a prequel to The Matrix.

I thought this the very evening that I watched The Matrix. Then again, Dark City is my favorite movie of all time.

13. McBradders

I-Robot is fun.

"Hell no!"

14. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Did anyone else think Trinity went from a women who could look after her self better than any man, to being a cliche female in a movie? They took all the interesting characters and made them....meh.

You win at life :) 

15. Peter Cullen91

Peter Cullen91 Well-Known Member

Zion was what ruined the matrix movies. Its government, its people, it just makes me:puke2: 

16. Coolhand

I love Dark City, but I also loved the Matrix for being a gunned up version of that story. Not sure I'd agree on "Dumbed down," but I sort of understand where you're coming from.

Yep. And her death scene was so badly written, badly acted, and SO DAMN THROWAWAY that I alternated between laughing and crying for all the wrong reasons.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Seriously, that foking movie inspired every project I did in school and even after.

Sleep...Now

18. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Gotta agree with the people saying the sequels shouldn't have been made. I was never a massive fan of the first film. My initial reaction was ""Oh, it's a fairly cool action flick," followed by "wait, this is the film people have been claiming is so clever and deep?" It was fairly good but there was never really anywhere for the story to go. It was finished. We'd seen Neo's story all the way through. The sequels barely had enough story for one film, let alone two, and it showed, not helped by the writers not being able to keep their own bullshit straight. Example: in the first film, Morpheus gets his ass kicked by Smith (effortlessly) in about ten seconds. In the second film, Morpheus holds his own against an upgraded agent for what felt like ten years.

Mind, there are examples of that even in the first film. An agent can move fast enough to dodge bullets, but can't get out of the way when Trinity has a gun at his head and says "Dodge this." The speed the agents move at means she should have got as far as "Do-" before finding herself on the floor with a Beretta forcibly inserted into her.

Plotholes aside, the big problem is Neo's story was finished at the end of the first film. If you look at the original Star Wars trilogy, it's the story of Luke's transition from farm boy to Jedi Knight. Each film shows him moving further along in that journey. The Matrix sequels can't do that, because the first film ends with Neo becoming Superman. There's nowhere else to go when your character is already effectively immortal and can bend reality to his will. Kinda makes me glad that no one pushed for an Equilibrium sequel.

19. Deceptikitty

Deceptikitty all about the hasubandos

I've only seen the first one, just because I've been told I should pretend the others don't exist. :lol 

20. Coolhand

Equilibrium 2: Prepare For More Incident.

(I agree, that's another movie that ends perfectly, and doesn't need a sequel slapped on. Although more gun-kata would be nice...)