The Masterpiece Appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Superquad7, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Lonewolf

Lonewolf Well-Known Member

Yup, it's a whopper alright! :p 

Prowl's one of my favorite autobot MP to date, but I think the one I have the most fun playing with is still MP Bumblebee with a nice and intuitive tranformation and a very good representation of the bot mode with an actual VW Type 1 alt mode.

• Like Like x 6
  2. tomagnus

tomagnus question the answers

IMG_6270.JPG IMG_6271.JPG IMG_6272.JPG Been having a lot of fun with these two since I got Grapple.

• Like Like x 15
  3. Agent 539

Agent 539 Blackrock Gas Attendant TFW2005 Supporter

I can have Grapple come up with a walkthrough for you.

Yes sir. I really love the color scheme. The blue thighs really sell it as well. The transformation is very easy and he's a solid figure.

My goal for the diorama was not to make it super detailed but try to capture that G1 flavor with cartoon-ish paint and the river/waterfall scene. I thought about including the Ark in the mountain but that's beyond me at the moment. It was/still is a lot of fun to build but a little time consuming. Nothing hard and depending on what you want out of it, it could be done on the cheap. I also used some lightweight materials so it can easily be moved around.

It's kinda cool that we have an official link with GI Joe through Marissa. I've always liked the character, especially when she was babysitting Blurr and Wheelie.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mgtron1

mgtron1 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    As far as I can tell, it was only the trailer...I haven't transformed Optimus since I got him. Last time I checked, he seemed OK.

5. Agent 539

I discovered a split in my tailer tires as well. I'm not sure if the rubber is drying out or if it's a different rubber compound altogether from the G1 days. First thought would be yes since that ws 30 years ago. I was thinking that there might be some rubber lube or sealant that would help to protect non-cracked tires.

6. borgified

borgified Resistance is Futile!

@Agent 539 (and other members that have this problem): Charles from RPA did a PSA on this.

Note: Didn't have @Dean ML to ninja me this time. :p 

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 5
  7. Jdk504

Jdk504 RED WOLF

Is anyone else using this on other toys besides Transformers? I was thinking about applying this to my Soc Voltrons. Any thoughts? I've heard over time it will get yellow? Ive seen people reporting it on the reviews on amazon.

8. Destructimis Prime

Destructimis Prime Female G1 and Masterpiece collector

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 19
  9. mgtron1

mgtron1 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Thanks! Like I said, my older Transformers from the 80's are fine...it's the newer releases. It stinks, especially since it happened to MP 10 after having it for a year.

10. AmonDemon112

AmonDemon112 Demon General

News Credits:
    Holy f@#$ everything you said right here! and this group shot! Mp-22 is my ultimate favorite(aside from Star Saber and Artfire) and beyond pissed at myself for having to part ways with it a few months ago when I finally had the perfect copy(& price! $140 shipped from jet.com last September!) after the 4th attempt owning this figure. and it being scarce and overpriced everywhere and a reissue being too far away from me! lol
    That Ultra Magnus was THE reason why I got dedicated to Masterpiece in the first place. I've always wanted a toon accurate Ultra Magnus and felt like FOREVER until the day I got my first copy of this when it first came out. I worked towards collecting Mp's in preparation for Ultra Magnus' arrival. These 3 are such a perfect trifecta. really loving this group shot! how envious I am of all of this! :D 

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  11. Agent 539

Looks like I'll be buying some of this and Pledge.

12. Kranix_OZ

Kranix_OZ Well-Known Member

Great read! I was one of those kids who lost interest after the movie due to loss of real world alt modes and general change in aesthetics. I still had a number of movie bots (Ultra Magnus and Galvatron were favorites) but they couldn't compete in my mind with the earlier figures like Jazz, Sideswipe and the big bopper Optimus Prime. Even the mini bots didn't do it for me. I mean wheelie was no Bumblebee! Still, I love that people are getting these later figures in MP form, they look fantastic!

• Like Like x 2
  13. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

Like another member mentioned, I'd love a walk through on how you built your set! And yes, I loved Marissa, too. Very progressive character for the time, really. A had a big crush on Sigourney Weaver growing up thanks to Ghostbusters and Aliens and Marissa ticked the same boxes haha.

I actually didn't know about this stuff! I gotta get some! Almost afraid to check my trailer tire's now!

Always great to see some Shockwave love! Really underappreciated figure. Especially great to see his waist, collar plate, and neck fully extended as those steps are often missed.

Thanks, AD! Yeah, I remember the excitement around Ultra Magnus' leaked BBTS announcement - I was so excited it probably gave me bonafide anxiety anticipating how the big guy would turn out! I remember wondering almost non-stop about how the hell MP-10 could look good all armored up. I just couldn't picture it, it kept looking like a mess in my mind. So glad they went with an all-in-one, though. I sure as hell hope you're able to get another copy sooner than later, brother! Sure was a thrill taking the big guy out of his box again last week - almost made me want to box up all of my MPs just so I can unbox them again!

I completely understand where you're coming from. What's funny is that I don't think I had any of the og Diaclone carbots. I think Aerialbots and Dinobots were the only pre-movie Autobots I had, iirc (lots of pre-movie Decepticons, though - I loved bad guys). I think seeing the headless van bros in the store for the first time after already being a big fan of the cartoon turned me off of the toys for much of the first year, haha.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Dean ML

Dean ML Well-Known Member

I hope forward shoulder articulation is included in as many future releases as possible. So expressive!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 22
  15. Kranix_OZ

Kranix_OZ Well-Known Member

Headless vans! LOL! I had Ironhide as a kid and did find his lack of a head odd back then. Although I actually didn't have that many S1 and S2 bots either compared to some of my mates. My first ever Transformer was Optimus Prime. He was a Birthday present and I was totally blown away by him and in reality it seems he has started a life long obsession with Transforming robots.

I then remember being taken to a major department store down here in Australia where they had a huge triangle display of nearly every S1 and S2 Transformer car and jet and I was lucky enough to be able to choose 1 Decepticon jet and 1 Autobot car to take home. Seeing all these bots I dreamt of was amazing and thus what an agonising choice that turned out to be (for me and my poor Mum!). I recall it was so hard! I was stuck between Starscream and Skywarp and Jazz and Sideswipe. I was pushed to make a decision after my Mum had to wait way longer than any parent should, lol. I chose...

Skywarp and Sideswipe.

I treasured them both and played them and Optimus into the ground! I also did end up getting Starscream for Christmas and loved it but my Mum couldn't find Jazz anywhere. I didn't end up owning him for many years, only when there was a gold box release of select G1 Transformers down here (in Europe too I believe) was I able to obtain him. I still have that Jazz and in good condition for it's age actually. He was a bit of a holy grail for me which is funny considering how close he was to coming home with me as my second ever Autobot! Ironically MP Jazz has turned into my MP Holy grail too! It would be sucky for me if we never see him made.

• Like Like x 1
  16. JediFlaherty

JediFlaherty Well-Known Member

I love all these Hot Rod shots lately! He really is pinker than he gets credit for.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Noobimus Prime

Noobimus Prime Well-Known Member

How often should this stuff be applied to rubber?

18. Lonewolf

Those are some mighty great "What am I gonna do about them?" pose.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Sam

Sam Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Wicked cool pose. Transformers that can pull off poses like this - who could've known it would be possible? I certainly didn't think so as a kid. But here we are.

I'm actually digging Hot Rod's face sculpt more and more based on photos. A lot more definition to it than I reaslied/remembered.

Especially now compared with MP-40 :thumb 

• Like Like x 3
  20. Lonewolf

Shockwave is really a fun figure to play with. I honestly think it's the 2nd MP I've played the most with up to now.

• Like Like x 6