The Martial arts thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by General Magnus, Jul 30, 2008.

1. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

So, is there any fighters or wanabee fighters amoung us?

Just curious. What kind of self-defense arts do you do, or liked to do?

I used to do judo, until a fatefull day, that I bit more that i could chew and fought a randori with a blue belt. Got my ass kicked six ways to sunday and an injury as result. Right now I´m only doing Body Combat, but I would like to try out Krav Maga or Muai Thai in the future.

The moral of this story kiddies? Don´t try to play the hero against someone who´s two belts above you.:p 

2. Darkravager

Darkravager Zombie Hunter

I have sweet bo-staff skills.

3. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Hung ga

4. General Magnus

My wiki-fu told me that it seems rather cool. Is it hard to learn?

5. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    I've crossed trained in Olympic Taekwondo, Karate, and Traditional Taekwondo. My current school is the latter, but they throw in a lot of Judo and Hapkido for self defense. I've also dabbled in weapons. Use to know how to fight with a staff and tonfas. Currently training to hopefully become a mixed fighter, but that goal seems to be just a pipe dream. :( 

6. Hotspot17

Hotspot17 Search and Rescue: Vet

News Credits:
    Yes and no. The key is to find a good teacher that fully understands the system. There's a lot of people that claim they know it but can't really demonstrate the key principals of the systems. After that, it's all sweat from there. Lots of stances training. The classic saying in our system is: If you can stand, how can you fight.

7. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Mah paw always told me that if'n you found yourself in a fistfight, you fucked up 200 meters back.

hurhurhur

8. General Magnus

Yeah, I got the same kind of reply when I asked about Krav Maga. There´s alot of people who claim to know that, but in reality they know jack and shit. It´s one of those things one has to be carefull when searching for a martial art.

At least my sensei was a credible dude. Very good teacher, and such. He was part of the referees in the Sydney Olypimcs. Class A teacher. No complains there.

9. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    General Mag : Muay Thai ? I didn't mean to underestimate you but that art is hardcore with a caps lock, to point that I joke with my friends that they kick steel for breakfast, which is not true fortunately. :D 

I did learn karate, brown 4. However I usually went up through exam on stances, only participated in spa-ring 2 times, not much of a fighter unless provoked.

10. General Magnus

I know. I´d probably end up with broken bones , broken nose, etc... Belive me, I know what that stuff is. My cousin´s bf is training with Portugal´s Muay Thai champion. He says he´s loving every second of it.

11. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    You mean you're thinking of dabbling into MMA? That would be pretty kick ass.

12. cambaprecoz

cambaprecoz Well-Known Member

I'm practicing Kick Boxing, still pretty bad but better than when I started, I knew crap.
    I'm gonna sign up to a Boxing school in winter vacation, and maybe Tae Kwon Do too, because of those badass kicks.

13. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I do Enshin Karate.

Welcome to Enshin Karate

Founded in 1988 by the 1978 ALL JAPAN Kyokushin tournament champion Joko Ninomiya.

Pretty cool stuff. Full contact knockdown that incorperates Sabaki movement(positioning for advantage) and Judo techniques.

I use to do Judo over 10 years ago and this year I started up Enshin to get back into shape. Lost about 6 inches so far on my waist. ;)  (of course I have also been eating way better and supplementing it with weight training)

:) 

14. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Peter Morton Academy of Judo Jujitsu Karate

This is me. Currently working towards the blue belt, after which comes brown.

The system is pretty simple, a mixture of Judo, Jujitsu and Karate. Later belts also incorporate Western Boxing and grappling. The instructors all know their stuff, are dedicated and good people.

15. atlianz

atlianz TFW2005 Supporter

Studied Wing Chun for about 2 years.
    Brazilian Jujitsu for a little over 1 year.
    Atlianzfoo for all my life!

16. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Waxing chumps with omoplatas!

My background is in wrestling. I wanted to join Judo a few years back as I thought it would be a good transition, but I can't due to crappy health reasons. I like practicing different holds though. I love the Anaconda choke.

17. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    I am Master Instructor in Pressure Point Control Tactics (PPCT), a Master Instructor in Street Survival Ground Tactics (SSGT), a Mechanical Advantage Control Hold (MACH) instructor, and dabble in MMA training.

18. alphie

alphie Veteran

News Credits:
    Kind of. I'm hoping to get into something like the World Combat League where it's a mix of several striking techniques. In that sport I love how woman have a chance to fight and are pretty much the stars. But it involves a lot more boxing than what I know. :( 

19. Coolhand

Coolhand Spiff's Stunt Double

If you're looking for Krav Maga, the two main teaching bodies that I know of are the IKMF (International Krav Maga Federation) and KMWW (Krav Maga World Wide). There are some political differences between the two, but they both pretty much teach the genuine Krav Maga system founded by Imi Lichtenfeld. There might well be others, but if an instructor comes from either of those organisations you should be in safe hands.

And anyone who tries to mug you will be in serious pain...

20. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

I practice the art of fah-q.