The Marketing for War for Cybertron...

Discussion in 'Transformers Video Game Discussion' started by Cryptwire, May 31, 2010.

1. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I realize there have been the teaser trailers a few months ago, and the various multiplayer trailers, not to mention the trailers/interviews with Matt Tieger and the High Moon team and Hasbro people. and more recently, the Shockwave-Megatron-Shockwave trailer. all of which by the way, are through Youtube/internet video clips.

recently there are promotional try-outs of the game at various Toys R Us stores.

I also have read on here that some video game stores are already setting up huge posters of "War for Cybertron" in their stores. but, in the Gamestop stores i went to (New York and New Jersey), unless I would scroll for new videogame releases on the touch screen LCD TV, people won't even realize that this game exists. and in New Jersey at the mall we usually frequent to, there had been a marketing for the game.... a really small poster at the side of the store.... Lol. like, that is really going to bring it to the attention of average people. are there even going to be TV spots or something of that nature? correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't see any aggressive marketing for this game thus far and it is understandable because i realize it is a new upcoming game and probably Activision don't have the budget for marketing as big movie studios have before they release their movies.

but i did see a big poster at the side of a New York City bus for "Deadman Redemption" though. i wonder if the good folks at High Moon would consider that strategy (placing huge posters at the side of buses). i wonder if the marketing for "War for Cybertron" would be even more aggressive as we near June 22.

man these big-license games should start to be treated like actual live-action movies lol.

2. BeastWars 4ever

BeastWars 4ever Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I think they should definitely launch an aggressive marketing campaign. I want sales and a sequel!

3. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    The marketing campaign, or what I've seen from it, is bigger and better than what most games get. It doesn't get the triple A marketing campaigns of a Halo or GTA, because it isn't a triple A title. Or at least, not one that will be seen up to par with previously mentioned games. Mind you, that doesn't mean it will not be a quality / kick-ass game, I'm greatly looking forward to WfC.

Also, it's unfair to compare the marketing of WfC to that of Red Dead Redemption, one of the biggest anticipated games by one of the most popular companies, whose reach goes far beyond what WfC will ever achieve.

I'm sorry, it's the truth.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  4. Cryptwire

Cryptwire Cybertronian Engineer/Sniper TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    @BeastWars4Ever: me too!

@Digilaut: hmm... i wouldn't have known that. as i mentioned, i had been to a mall in Jersey and at various Gamestops in New York... the one in Jersey, as mentioned, did some advert for WFC... that small poster by the side of their store which they have now taken down and when i went inside that Gamestop, there's virtually no advertising whatsoever for WFC aside from some customer there who i overheard say "Transformers" :lol  and in New York, as mentioned, unless you are a die-hard fan and know that this game is set for release this month, you will have to scroll through their touch-screen plasma TVs until you get to WFC and watch the trailers already set up. but, yeah, well we did get the new Shockwave trailer from Gamestop which is good. but i'm still really not sure if there is even a decent amount of marketing going on with this game or Activision has really put an effort into putting the game out into public awareness. as i mentioned, if they didn't, i would understand because video games are probably a different creature than big-budget live-action movies or the music industry even (although imho, that should start to change lol).

as for Red Dead Redemption, hmm, just researched it now and the developers are Rockstar San Diego.... i don't know how big of a company they are... as i mentioned, i've been pretty much out of the loop as far as games are concerned for a long, long time and have never played anything outside of strategy/empire-building games like Civilization. WFC though has sparked a new interest in me with the video game industry and that's why i wouldn't know anything about the mechanisms of how various developers market their product or do they just solely rely on viral marketing and name-brand. all i know about video game companies is from what little history i've seen, such as Infinity Ward and Treyarch.... other than that, my knowledge of the goings-on in the video game industry is as good as anyone else.

but i'll take your word for it :D  and yes, i did see some big Red Dead Redemption at the sides of buses in New York so the developers marketing strategy for this game must be pretty aggressive.

5. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I really, REALLY doubt there will be an actual sequel game as this game was stated by Hasbro to be the kickoff to their new continuity. (and thus a Prequel to Transformers: Prime)

6. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Oh, marketing strategy for Red Dead Redemption is definitely agressive. It's also the most expensive game ever made up till now. And trust me, the game is beautiful and so extremely good..it's on a whole 'nother level.

If you look at WfC marketing, this is what I know:
    -There have been many trailers already in a decent amount of time, starting with the teaser, then came full cgi trailer, first gameplay trailer, multiplayer trailer..etc.
    -There have been systematic reveals about characters, gameplay, etc.
    -Many gaming websites have reported on WfC. So far, most comments are positive. Also, trailers have been watched alot and have been given high grades from visitors.
    -I've seen national (Dutch) newspapers and magazines discuss/preview the game..magazines that mostly have no interest in games other than the biggest ones. I'd say that's pretty cool (plus all were positive)
    -There have been exclusive interviews with websites and tv shows bij High Moon Studios.
    -There will be a chance to play a demo of the game at Toys R Us soon in the US (and I think there will also be/has been a play event in London, UK).

I think we're all used to the marketing campaigns from games like Halo, Call of Duty lately - but we have to understand that these are the biggest, most expensive campaigns and should not be held as the standard. :)  Alot of good games that get released nowadays get far less coverage than I've seen for WfC.

We DO have to keep in mind that, as much as we'd all like this to be the next super-selling hit..it probably will not be. As much as they're trying to build an awesome game to play first, Transformers second (to guarantee it's not just a slap-on name for a shit product)..I really don't think the general interest would get bigger if there would be a bigger marketing campaign.
    It's highly anticipated among fans..and it did 'reach out' to get some coverage for 'the masses' and maybe even find some people that liked the old cartoons, that will notice it and might buy it. It might also be riding a bit on the Bayformers train for some recognition, but only slightly - since it's been over a year that movie has been released.

People that never had an interest in Transformers will see it and say 'Oh, it's Transformers', and walk on. I think all the other people that are considered part of 'the masses' that can be influenced (the ones that do not follow all the hype) will probably be a bit caught off guard once the game is in stores and they see it running on screens - OR notice the cover of the game. Yes, it's a basic cover..but it's also mainly white, which will catch slightly more attention in a sea of games. Insane as this may sound, this works.

This game is not going to revolutionize Transformers or bring in tons of new TF fans into the series, as I've seen somebody claim a while ago. I do think and HOPE that it will be good and sells well. But I think the marketing campaign is doing pretty much what is probably calculated by them monkeys in suits: create a lot of hype among TF fans + gaming communities, then rely on impulse buy from 'the masses' by wowing them at release, while TF fans and gamers are spreading 'word of mouth'. In the end it should do decently, and if it does turn out to be a super-game, it might even do better. :) 

Whoops..there I go again, talking and talking and talking..:) 
    TLDR: I think marketing campaign is doing exactly what fits this game.

7. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    This game is getting excellent marketing, for its budget. Pretty much every gaming site has interviews and favorable previews.

Toss in some advertisements on Cartoon Network and another kids' channels and you're all set.

Really though making the WfC toys is an excellent tie-in, would expect several thousand games to be sold based on the toys alone.

8. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    In my area, every Hollywood video and attached Gamecrazy has closed.

This can't possibly help

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I think the marketing has been pretty good. Internet and magazine-wise, anyway.

10. Brakescream

Brakescream F&@king Twist Ties!

News Credits:
    Maybe the marketing in the US is decent, but here in the UK, if it werent for the fact that I'm a Transformers fan that plays Xbox, I'd have no idea this game existed.

As someone mentioned above, bus ads seem to be so underutilised. They're cheaper than TV and radio ads, and the coverage they get is underrated.

11. HIM666fan

HIM666fan DINOBOT

News Credits:
    WFC has hasbro to back them for marketing...ive seen one poster at a local gamestop in our larger mall

i honestly say this game is gonna be more word of mouth then anything and honestly that is way way better! thats how Red Dead Redemption got so bid there viral campaigns with word of mouth helped bump it to what it is now also the fact its prob one of the most unique games out there now.

I trust hasbro will start pushing this hard this month...

this game will end up getting huge if the word of mouth spreads this summer, the mutliplayer is awsome and the sp satisfies!!

this could end up being a multiplayer pick up game for most people exp allot of gamers i know...

12. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    High Moon Studios hasn't shown all there cards just yet. E3 is 12 days a way and Botcon is what? Two weeks away? We're going to see more and more marketing for this game.

Expect to see the same talking points and videos, with perhaps a new shot here and there. Oh, pre-orders still need to be issued for a few stores too.

13. MenasorMaster

MenasorMaster Stunticon Warrior

They should announce the remaining pre order characters soon ...

14. Transformed

Transformed 神戸 Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    One must wonder if Sears/Kmart are getting something different, something that actually meets the description on the pre-order page or the same one that's been recently removed, the exclusive comic book:confused: 

15. Dirge121

Dirge121 Eat the chikums

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube:
    Tumblr:
    None of my local stores even have a poster or pre-order case on display.
    Only mention of it is the book to flip through and it lists the date as TBC.