The Many Deaths of Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Fairlady_Z, Aug 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Near as I can figure Op has died more than any other cartoon/comic character. He could give Jean Grey lesson in coming back and is like the cat who came back the very next day, since I count at least nine deaths for Op, I might be missing one or two though from the Japanese shows, so which one was Op's most heroic death, best comeback, and worst death?

G1 Movie - Op vs. Megs to the death, the one that started it all

Headmasters - Op joins with Vector Sigma to restore the balance to Cybertron

Beast Wars - Op sacrifices himself, with a little tampering from Megs, to save Earth from the Vok's moon cannon

Beast Machines - Op joins with the Oracle to resore the balance to Cybertron

Armada - Op sacrifices himself to save Earth from the Hydra Cannon

Energon - killed while battling Unicron

Marvel Comics #24 - Op dies because he cheats in a video game to defeat Megatron and wants to uphold his noble principles even at the cost of death

Marvel #75 - killed while battling Unicron

Marvel G2 #11 - killed by the Swarm while protecting Cybertron

2. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Beast Wars and Beast Machines didnt have "Optimus Primes".

3. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

Didn't LioConvoy die? Does that count?

4. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I think thats its special circumstances given the nature of Prime's character. He has so many versions of himself yet he's essentially always the same character. You can consider the cartoon/comic the same character yet they aren't, but characters like Jean Grey are always themselves when resurrected...of course her first death was a clone created by the Pheonix Force.

5. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    Optimus Primal and Bw Megatron are completely different characters from the G1 versions.

6. Alienbot

Alienbot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    In Dreamwave Optimus was missing in The Dark Ages, and wounded for the ongoing G1 title. In IDW Escalation #5-6 he is kind of dead. Plus in the Movie he was intending on sacrificing himself.

Of course, that's why we all love Prime: his selfless heroism.

7. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    man, prime sure likes to die a lot. hes like son gokou.

8. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    "You Primes certainly have a penchant for self-sacrifice, yeeessss"

Megatron said it best, though I am probably misquoting the exact line. Other Voices Part 2, when Primal is flying up to the Vok Weapon.

My personal favourites are the original Movie, where Prime goes like a hero, and Armada, where Prime takes the bullet meant for the whole planet. That's true heroism.

9. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Optimus didn't die in Armada. He is shown floating in space and thinking to himself at the end.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Before that. Megs killed him with a giant cannon and he turned grey and disintegrated (it was before they all became powerlinx). Spatkplug was found floating around in space hugging the matrix. (That nearly made me cry) That's when Hotshot took over.

He came back before the end of the series.

11. Gears

Gears buh-buh-body ya Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oops.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    it was awesome. he's completely white, the kids yell out "he's okay!", and then part of his face cracks. then he completely shatters.

13. TILALLR1

TILALLR1 'Til All Are One

In Season 3 episode "Dark Awakening" he sacrifices himself and he bascially dies again. Only to be saved and restored later in "The Return of Optimus Prime" at the end of Season 3.

14. KING KONVOY

KING KONVOY Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Did Primal actually die in BW?

Why do people keep making these types of arguments when there are different continuities? We know Optimus Primal is technically different from Optimus Prime but we also know that he is the "Prime" of that series. It’s clear, it’s simple! The other characters called Optimus Prime are not G1 Optimus Prime. Even though people call AEC the Unicron trilogy, they are technically different Primes. RID is a different Prime! Why do people pick on BW so much? You try to hate on BW but it the best Tranformers show ever! We know that Lio Convoy & Big Convoy are different than Beast Convoy but they are generally included in our prime/primal/convoy collections. We can see the face mold, we know who the character is suppose to generally represent.

15. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Settle down! What makes you think they hate BW? It's obviously the best series ever. (we got a squirrel transformer, 'nuff said) The thing is, Primal doesn't count, because HE IS NOT OPTIMUS PRIME. That's like saying Metal Hawk or Star Saber is Optimus Prime. Just because he's the good guy leader does not make him Optimus Prime, especialy since BW did have Optimus Prime in it. AEC are all considered to be the same Prime/Convoy. (tin Hasbro's eyes atleast)

Regardless, Primal did die, he joined the matrix before Rhinox brought him back.

16. smkspy

Primal was a Matrix bearer (even if for a short time though it did bond with his spark) so technically he is a Prime, but his 'death' in BW was pre-Prime status.

Edit: This is assuming you believe that the Matrix/Prime's spark are bonded together.

17. ViperDragon

ViperDragon Well-Known Member

Actually in BW, Optimus Prime does sort-of die when Megs blasts the Matrix with his cannon and caused the Time Storm. Rhinox had to repair him while Optimal Optimus carried Prime's spark/Matrix. So in a sense Prime's body was "dead".

18. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    beast wars is my favorite show, and second favorite toyline.

but that doesnt make Primal a Prime. he is not a matrix-bearer. he's a captain of an exploration ship and just happened to become the greatest hero cybertron has ever seen. but still, not a prime.

Optimus Prime's head is not the matrix. also, prime did not die. he was fading, but they put him on life-support, which saved him. and primal carried his spark, not the matrix. it was clarified almost a decade ago that mainframe just misunderstood what the matrix was, and thought it was prime's spark casing.

But we know it's not. Optimus Prime has functioned without the matrix. you can't function without a spark. there's a link, but they aren't physically bonded. Primal carrying prime's spark is not the same as him carrying the matrix.

19. smkspy

Ah, see you learn something new everyday...did not know that Mainframe misunderstood Prime's spark for the Matrix. I therefore retrack my previous statement, but given the show without any outside knowledge it does appear Primal is given Prime status by Matrix. Didn't Japan Beast Wars give Primal a matrix of his own though?

I find it assuming that we rely on BW for a lot of our Transformers Mythos, but the creators themselves didn't even really understand the background material of what they were creating.

20. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I know they are not all the same character. But what's your favorite death for ANY character called Optimus or Convoy or whatever? Maybe I should have made that clearer. And I forgot about Dark Awakening, thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.