The many creators of the Transformers

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Nevermore, May 7, 2006.

1. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Which people played a pivotal part in the creation of the Transformers as we know them today?

Let's see:

Kouzin Ohno (name sometimes misinterpreted as "Mitsuhito Oono") was by far the most prolific of the Diaclone designers, being primarily responsible for most of the original designs that became the Autobot Cars (Sunstreaker, Hound, Bluestreak, Skids, Ironhide, Jazz, Inferno, Mirage, Sideswipe, Trailbreaker), the Omnibots, the Decepticon Jets (the original Starscream/Thundercracker/Skywarp mold; the Dirge/Ramjet/Thrust redesigns were done by Takayoshi Doi), the Dinobots, the Trainbots, the Constructicons and the Decepticon Triple Changers. He also continued to design original Transformers for Hasbro and Takara such as Galvatron, Metroplex and Fortress Maximus. He's also listed in the Transformer Station section of the opening credits for Victory, so it would seem that he did designs for that series as well.
    An interview with him can be found in the the Japanese "Transformers: Generations" book.

Hideaki Yoke was a Diaclone and Microman designer (Perceptor, Gears, Swerve, Hubcap, Tailgate, Outback, Pipes, the Battlechargers) and also acted as Hasbro's Takara liaison in the first months of the Hasbro/Takara partnership.
    BotCon 2005 panel report

Other toy designers were: Hiroyuki Obara (Optimus Prime, Ultra Magnus, Wheeljack, Blaster, Tracks), Akio Kitamura (Beachcomber, Cosmos, Seaspray, Warpath), Masaki Maruyama (Powerglide), Takashi Matsuda (Megatron, Topspin, the Insecticons, all the initial Autobot and Decepticon cassettes except for the combiners), Satoshi Koizumi (Soundwave) and, for the non-Takara molds, Yukimitsu Matsushiro (Jetfire, Roadbuster).
    The patent pages, Transformers patent via the European patent office

Nobuyuki Okude (Takara's later vice president, and eventually president and CEO as of 2005) was also part of Takara's Diaclone design team and overseeing the changes done to the toys for their release on the Western market.
    Interview

Henry Orenstein convinced Hasbro to release the toys to the US market and coined the name "Transformers".
    Link 1, Link 2, BotCon 2004 panel (name misremembered as "Normanstein")
    Was this before or after Hasbro discovered the toys at Tokyo Toy Fair 1983?

Hasbro's then marketing vice president Bob Prupis assigned Marvel to come up with a backstory.
    BotCon 2004 panel

Marvel Comics' Jim Shooter came up with a rough story concept, which was then expanded by Dennis O'Neil, who also coined a few names, including "Optimus Prime". Bob Budiansky then came up with characterizations and names for the rest of the characters, including "Megatron".
    Interview 1, interview 2

Syouhei Kohara (presumably an artist at Toei) created at least some of the the animation models for the cartoon characters; Floro Dery then simplified them (such as removing Optimus Prime's wheels in robot mode, and changing Megatron's head to more closely match his toy).
    Interview 1, interview 2

Thanks to JonT for Hideaki Yoke and Kouzin Ohno, and to Buster Darkwings for the correct spelling of some Japanese names, and other additional information.

Who else am I missing?

2. Cyclone_X

Cyclone_X Cybertronian Warlord

you might want to look up the other designers for the non-Takara molds from G1

3. Dio

Dio Scrapper

"And Fans like you."

:lol 

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Yeah, but I think that part of the input for the various Transformers series became more integral with the release of Beast Wars, RID and onwards. The biggest thing that I can think of where Fans changed something in G1 was the outpouring of negativity about Optimus Prime dying, resulting in him being brought back in the third season. Twice.

Other than that, I think fan support wasn't paid attention to as much as it was simply acknowledged as a cash base during the original series.

5. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Denny O'Neil had a role in creating the Transformers mythos? :eek: 

Wow, I never knew that. Yet another reason to like the guy. :thumb 

6. Sonscreen

Sonscreen Casual TF collector<br><b><font color=#FF0000>aksm TFW2005 Supporter

The same Denny O'Neil that used to be editor of the Batman books???

7. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    And the same Denny O'Neil who wrote the landmark Green Lantern and Green Arrow series with Neal Adams.

8. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I always thought John Romita, Sr. had something to do with adapting the characters from the toy models to the more humanoid character designs we all know, but Floro Dery takes all the credit. I don't know what to believe.

9. Weirdwolf

Weirdwolf TFYLP Podcast Founder TFW2005 Supporter

It's sad, really, that Bob Budiansky seemed to get the cold shoulder at OTFCC 2004 simply because of the Carwash of Doom. Now I'm really glad I went up and shook his hand. :) 

10. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Updated with more names and details added, as well as credits for those who contributed. :) 

11. Ktulu

News Credits:
    What the crap did John Romita, Sr. do then? Whatever I read about him helping with cartoon or comic models must've been false I guess.

12. Nevermore

News Credits:
    Well, everyone used to believe that Romita was responsible for the character designs until Dery popped up and took all the credit for himself. So unless Romita himself confirms or denies his involvement with Transformers, we can't say for sure.

Speaking of, someone might actually try to ask him. :) 

13. Ktulu

News Credits:
    I don't doubt Dery's skills, but I'm cautious to believe he's really responsible for EVERYTHING like he claims. It could just be an unfortunate case of distorted memory on his part for all we know. You're right though, until someone else steps up and says otherwise, we can't know for sure.

14. Voiceroy

Voiceroy Trans-fo-mahs!

News Credits:
    Around 1985-86, I remember seeing a short segment on Saturday morning network TV featuring a young boy (maybe between 12-14) who had created a transforming robot toy and became a millionaire.

During this segment, they showed video footage of toys from both Hasbro's "Transformers" and Tonka's "Go-Bots". It was seriously misleading -- like this kid had created both toy lines. I'm sure it was an attempt on the part of the network as a human interest piece to show that kids can achieve great things.

But for years, it made me think that this kid was responsible for creating "Transformers." I have never been able to find any info about this boy, and whatever toy it was that he allegedly created. I don't even remember what the actual transforming toy he had in his hands looked like that some toy company picked up for production. They even showed the kid in a board meeting with the toy company, for crying out.

But reading a thread like this leads me to believe that the whole story was fabricated.

Anyone else remember seeing this?

15. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

This thread is too awesome. Loving those interview links.

Wonder if Mr Latta should be in there since he created a certain sound for the rest to follow.