The man with the hat is back in theaters!!!!

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Jetfireinthesky, May 21, 2008.

1. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

I really liked it. The monkey scene was a little, WTF, but otherwise I thought it was cool. I didn't mind the sci-fi stuff. Made sense for the time period the movie was set it.

Also, count me in with wanting to know more about what Indy did during the 40's.

2. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm so confused about how I feel regarding this movie. I think there was a little too much "The Mummy", "ET", and "Tarzan" mixed in but I think I enjoyed the movie overall.

The last scene was really brilliant. The look on Ford's face when he snatched the hat back was really well done.

I agree with a previous poster that said they were more concerned with what Indy was doing with the CIA or whatever over the past 15 years. Hopefully they at least expand on this with books.

I am a bit concerned with Shia taking over the mantle as well. Actually, I should say I'm concerned with Mutt taking over the mantle. I have no doubt Shia will do as well as possible. But with Mutt being uneducated I'm afraid that the next movie will be even more preposterous then this past one. I guess only time will tell.

3. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Saw it today and enjoyed it. The alien/sci-fi angle didn't bother me at all. The nuke scene was a little much, but forgivable. I mean, it's the 1950s. You've already got the requisite Commies and aliens...gotta throw a nuke in there, right? Ditto for the HS kids with their dang hot-roddin' and no good rock'n'roll.

Like many, the only thing I would change/delete would be the Tarzan/monkey scene. One monkey and one swing maybe, but as it was, blegh.

I dunno about you crazy kids that were too young...or uh, not born yet..in 1981, not having RotLA as the best, but that is scientific fact. The rest are up for debate. For me, 1>3>4>2. Raiders way, way out in front. Crusade and Skull are pretty close together. Never much cared for Doom.

Edit: Kinda surprised nobody's mentioned the "I've got a bad feeling about this" line. Too forced? I kinda got a chuckle out of it. :confused2 

Last edited: May 24, 2008
  4. Smokescreen

Smokescreen The Ultimate Gambler

News Credits:
    Just got back from seeing Indy 4. I loved it. It's right on par with 3 in my book. I really liked the nod to Raiders near the beginning. Nice touch. Shia did a great job in his role and it was wonderful seeing Marion back. The banter between her and Indy was priceless. Overall, a great moviegoing experience.

And here's how I rank the films from best to worst: Raiders, Last Crusade & Crystal Skull (tie), and Temple of Doom.

5. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Omnibus I loved the 'bad feeling' line, wonderful nerd nod right there

6. Ravenxl7

Ravenxl7 W.A.F.F.L.E.O.

News Credits:
    Saw it last night, and it was really good. The sci-fi was a little odd at first, but it definetly worked well for the movie. Even after all this time, it still fits in with the first three, imo. Shia was a bit surprising. He did a lot better of a jot than I was expecting. Can't wait to get all four movies on DVD (you just know they're going to do it).

7. Razerwire

Razerwire 99 Problems... Veteran

News Credits:
    You make Shorty cry!

8. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

Utter balls. MOTHERFUCKING SPOILERS:
    Ok, I know the previous three Indy films always had their stupid elements but they where stupid but almost believable. This time around they just rip the arse right out of it.
    Indy walks away from a nuclear explosion thanks to fridge. Bullshit.
    Mutt, a motorcycle riding city kid that was bricking it earlier on is suddenly Tarzan after watching some monkeys. Bullshit.
    Mutt fencing with mad Russian bitch on the jeeps. Bullshit and too much CGI ruins it.
    Aliens. Fucking bullshit. The previous three movies where all about supernatural items. We had the Ark for God's sake. Now it's fucking aliens. It's too much of a departure.

Bah.

9. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Once again, the previous 3 fit into the timeframe's they took place in. By 1957 we were in the "atomic age", this film was an Indy adventure in that age, it fit perfectly for "when" it took place. It was SUPPOSED to be different than the one's taking place in the 30's (Did Temple take place in the 20's?).

I forgot to mention I love the Scrubs Janitor's scene!

10. Spartan-117

Spartan-117 Well-Known Member

There's making it fit and then there's making it ******ed.
    Spoilers in grey again:
    Indy hiding out in a fridge to escape a nuke blast is ******ed. Especially when said fridge was hurled for who knows what kind of distance. Lead lining can protect from radiation but I refuse to believe the implication that a fucking fridge can withstand the power of nuclear explosion better than a house. If he hid in a basement or something that was a bit more believable then, yeah, cool. As it is, it's just dumb.

11. Brandon

Brandon This is important work.

Nah, Temple took place in 35, a year before Raiders.

And yes, I lol'd when I saw the Janitor as the FBI guy.

12. Harbinger

Harbinger ecnayonnA

well i enjoyed it very much and well worth the money. i will get all 4 when they come out.

spartan-117. if you can handle face melting Arks and 500 year old Crusaders you can handle aliens. they can still be classified as supernatural too.

yes the monkeys where not so grand but i consider it more of a heritage from dad and getting the idea off them more then learning it straight as a monkey see monkey do sorta thing.

13. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Saw it tonight. Thought it was pretty decent. Monkey scene, yeah a bit much. Not a real big fan of the alien connection, but I'm okay with it. And I KNEW that when they went into that warehouse in the beginning that there'd be an Ark cameo. Although I was kinda hoping that Indy would actually see it and say something like, "Hunh, always wondered where that went..". Ah well, at least we finally find out what/where that warehouse is from the end of Raiders.

BTW, when Mutt first appeared, did anybody else think he came straight out a Village People video or something? lol.

14. GW_Freak

GW_Freak Banned

Actually I thought Mutt looked just like an old photo of Brando....

15. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

Yup. They were clearly trying to invoke Brando from The Wild One. Dude looked like he was riding in off the set of a remake.

[​IMG]

16. Shaba

Shaba Decepticon femme TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I went and saw this movie today and I LOVED it, especially the nods to previous IJ movies...

The best: Indy finally marries Marion...I actually cried just a bit

17. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Does anyone think that the holly water that Indy drank from the holly grail may have something to do with surviving the nuke. Sure it is one of those making excuses bits, but hey I need something...

18. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Saw it again today and it was better the second time around! The Tarzan scene was still a little too over the top for my taste though. I loved the shot of Indy watching the mushroom cloud. Very powerful scene.

It's funny, Indy's such a big ladies' man in the other movies, yet in this one, when he and Marion get married, he kissed her like he'd never kissed a woman before. That struck me as a bit odd.

19. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

Nope, the effects of the grail would not work past the "seal" That was the cost for immortality, as the knight said.

20. Thundercloud

Thundercloud Lone wolf

Watched the movie yesterday.

I had huge espectations towards this film, I've been waiting for it for 4 years, so my opinion might be a bit biased.

I loved the first half of the film, it was everything that I wanted it to be, but then it just felt out of place.
    After some consideration, what felt wrong to me wasn't the refrigerator, the monkeys or the CGI, but that alien stuff was just handled the wrong way. I was fine with it until the showed the freaking alien and the spaceship.

You shouldn't have showned the alien Steven :p 

In the other movies you never got to see the sources of the mistery or entities Indy was searching for, you didn't see God, Jesus or the Hindu god in the other films, you felt their presence, you had a mistical artifact with misterious powers and NO real explanation to it.
    The alien plot would had been fine if they at least they kept it under the dark. Although the shot with Indy looking at the saucer looked awesome it felt out of place regarding the other movies. I understand the whole "after the grail what could top that? I know, aliens", but it should have been kept mysterious. At least that's my opinion.

And if they make another one, I really, really hope Lucas doesn't decide to replace Indiana for Mutt because that would really kill it for me. There's only one Indiana Jones and I hope that's what the whole "The hat is mine" thing at the end meant.

Not a dissapointment, but it should had been better.

P.S. Only one thing left me confused, where the hell did all those Mayan warriors and grave dwellers came from? There was no justification to their existence. Were they just a "screen filler" or did I miss something?