The Mainly Anti Mainstream Music Thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MegatronSupporter, May 17, 2010.

1. MegatronSupporter

MegatronSupporter Well-Known Member

Yeah,people like that exist,so if you lean like that with Music then post in this thread and if a certain music genre doesn't have it's own thread. I really love stuff like Darkwave,Industrial,and EBM,Synth Rock,and Dark Electronica. Sometimes I wonder how much longer this type of music will be around for due to the following they have,I support this stuff,but I just can't bring myself to buy cd's with that kind of music in it because of prices and how it's so easy to obtain that kind of music thanks to the internet.

2. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    I'm a huge fan of post-rock, skramz (for lack of a better term), and other D.I.Y. type music. I am very anti music industry at heart but I will listen to anything good. I buy directly from the bands if at all possible, most are self released or are on very small independent labels.

Favorite bands include but are not limited to: Godspeed You! Black Emperor, A Silver Mt. Zion, The Appleseed Cast, Circle Takes The Square, Funeral Diner, Cap'n Jazz, Joan of Arc, Owls, Make Believe

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  3. MegatronSupporter

I haven't heard of Skramz before. Finding good mainstream music these days is harder than ever. A side from hearing tunes from a resurrected band that was dead and old bands that weren't ever disbanded. Music on television to me seems on par with radio,coming across lots of crap,I haven't done either lately and don't need to look into them to find out.

4. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

*shakes head... walks away*

5. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    Skramz is a controversial term. Nerdy response:

It refers to first wave "screamo" bands (another controversial term as the title has been mislabeled extensively recently). Basically punk bands that play music extremely fast with chaotic structure and often screamed vocals. It stemmed off of hardcore punk but has a different sound and less political lyrics. the "screamo" wikipedia is fairly accurate.

The first wave is sometimes referred to as "skramz" while the second wave is why the term was created as a way from differentiating the two.

An example of a skramz band is Ampere. Their songs average 40 seconds long but skramz songs obviously have no time limit.

Both terms are ridiculous but punk is way too broad of a genre

6. MegatronSupporter

So what's wrong with this thread CdnShockwave? Do we all have to be a bunch of yes men and yes women with all the stuff that comes on television and the radio every day for around 300+ days a year? The head shaking certainly sounds like that to me.

7. MegatronSupporter

Ah,at first,I was thinking it was a new kind of music. Thanks for enlightening me.

8. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    Yeah, it's older (90's) and more active in Europe now adays

9. MegatronSupporter

I've never liked Screamo to begin with,but one band I like is The Dreaming,and mainly because the leader of the band use to be in Stabbing Westward. That The Dreaming Band fit's into that category.

10. CdnShockwave

CdnShockwave The Prince of Poses TFW2005 Supporter

I tend to shake my head when people say they like something and want to support it but don't actually buy the music. If you want to support something such as music then you generally buy it. By downloading it you're not paying the band for the work they do (ie, playing music you enjoy). People deserve to be paid for the work they do. If something you download for free disappears then you're part of the problem because you haven't actually done anything substantially supportive. (By "you" I'm referring to the generic "you", not you specifically). Even if you love the band, they aren't receiving any tangible support from you.

As far as this "anti-mainstream" and "counter culture" thing is concerned, I see it as a load of overly pretentious crap. Counter culture is marketed in such a way that it essentially constitutes mainstream. Essentially, anti-mainstream = mainstream and I think a good number of people are living under a dilusion with very few people being legitimately anti-mainstream.

I also question the idea of rebelling for the sake of rebelling. If you're going to rebel, have a cause. But if you're rebelling because you don't like your parents or your daddy never loved you then you're wasting your time and this site's bandwidth.

Anti-mainstream is merely another cookiecutter sub-culture that constitutes the mainstream. People feel the need to be a part of something I'll accept that there is a legitimate anti-mainstream/counter culture in existence but the vast majority of people claiming to be a part of it are actually suffering from a serious case of delusional hypocritical hubris.

Here's a thought, define yourself. Don't let the music you listen to, the clothes you wear, the books you read (sadly, this practice seems to be going extinct), the movies you watch, or anything else external to yourself define you. By letting someone else's music define who you are you are no better than that which you seek to rebel against. How about dress the way you want to, rather than the way your sub-culture has predetermined how you should look. Listen to music you like rather than the music of the crowd you want to fit in with. Try doing things because you actually enjoy them and not as a desperate ploy to fit in with the group of people you want to fit in. Be yourself and let you define yourself. Sadly, so many people "be themselves" by simply slotting themselves into a preconceived image.

And on a closing note, I don't listen to the radio, nor do I watch television. I think 99% of everything broadcast is terrible and prefer to cherry pick whatever songs come my way that I like. I've heard the top 40 and such and think the vast majority of it is crap. If you want a perfect example of everything that's wrong with the younger generation you need only look at Tick Tock by Kesha. However, I've also heard some of the counter-culture anti-mainstream stuff and think it's terrible as well. I like what I like and take a little bit of almost everything.

11. LegoNinja

LegoNinja Well-Known Member

CdnShockwave sums up my thoughts on this quite well. I tip my hat to you.

"I support this stuff,but I just can't bring myself to buy cd's with that kind of music in it because of prices and how it's so easy to obtain that kind of music thanks to the internet."

It seems to be a very contradictory statement. You're not really supporting it by simply acquiring it (illegal?) and listening to it.
    I'm not trying to rip apart what you said, but mabye you could clarify what you meant.

12. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    If you like it, buy it. I've DL'd albums by bands to see if I like them and if I did, I went out and bought it.
    I utterly detest that so-called "song". It's pure drivel in every possible way, and every dumbass gullible teen who buys it should be given compulsory electro-shock therapy. And turds like Simon Cowell, with his smug shit-eating little grimace, make me want to vomit. That asshole has done more damage to popular music than Stock Aitken & Waterman could have ever done.

13. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

You son of a ...

I'd never heard of this person, literally. So you mention it, I have to see what you mean on Youtube.

Wow. That hurt. That said nothing, was auto-tuned to hell and back, and was "orchestrated" in what sounds like what must have been 10 minutes.

As a counter, here's a "girly song" in the same vague neighborhood that doesn't injure me to listen to it:

YouTube - Looking Glass - The Birthday Massacre

- Coeloptera

14. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I'm into Techno, Tribal Techno, Progressive Techno, Hardtechno, Brighton, Hardtekk (Stomping, wonky Techno from East Germany), Oldschool Hardcore, Newstyle Hardcore, Darkcore, Breakcore, Industrial Hardcore, Psychedelic Trance, Full On, EBM, Industrial, Rhythmic Noise, Industrial Rock, Crossover, Punk, Deutsch Punk, Drum and Bass, Drum and Noise, 80s (but not the cheesy stuff), Psychobilly, Rockabilly, Rock and Roll and Depeche Mode, Michael Jackson, Marilyn Manson, Nine Inch Nails, The Prodigy, Wumpscut, Die Ärzte, Metallica, Samsas Traum, some songs by ASP, Iron Maiden and the older songs by Linkin Park! :D 

I like many things as long as they are good and satisfy me, sometimes I even like some mainstream songs, but that is very seldom. I admit I liked Pokerface by Lady Gaga *gg*

If you don't buy the music you like, you don't support it! Most independent labels nowadays bust because of piracy. They don't have the money like major labels and more and more labels go from vinyl pressing or cd pressing to selling just lame mp3s or completely out of business... Even Neuton went out of business one of the most important distributors, if not THE distributor for electronic music and that is a bad sign...

If people stop buying the music they like, the music won't be around for long or another thing that seems to happen: The quality gets more and more down the drain, because labels try to put out more in order to get some money back (because they mostly sell their stuff for cost price and little margin, that's why you don't get rich as an artist. It's all about the music...) or they change to sell only digital files and there is a lack of quality control, because you don't have that high costs for pressing vinyls or cds and you can release more shit than before.

I mean, I don't buy everything music I have, but mostly I try to buy the real good things when possible!

The other thing is, if you buy music, the labels see what people like and what not. What is bought well, is being released more.

15. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Signed!

16. Human Beastbox

Human Beastbox The Murdinator

News Credits:
    I prefer electronic stuff like Telefon Tel Aviv, Kraftwerk and Aphex Twin--am I in?

17. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Yep! Aphex Twin rocks! How many aliases did he have? 20? 50?

18. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
  19. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Agree with you 100%, Draven. What all these young and up coming musicisns are doing is a disgrace. Kesha, Shante, Justin, Jonas, the list goes on and on.

20. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    You are not truly Anti-Mainstream until you have embraced Negativland.

...also, the rest of the anti-establishment sampling & mashup underground is pretty awesome. Check out groups like The Evolution Control Committee and Violins & Violence.

Last edited: May 17, 2010