the magnificence in idw

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by gregles, Aug 21, 2011.

1. gregles

gregles quintesson

I was looking through my old idw comics the other day and noticed this object which has since dissapeared from the idw universe. I Know the real reason it dissapeared isnt mysteries and has more to do with multiple different writers either forgeting about it or unable or uninspired to think of storylines for it to influence. The Autobots having an object like this in there possesion which has all knowledge known and unknown creates loads and loads of plot holes as that all hail megatron betrayal could be avoided etc. picking apart all these plot wholes here seems unfair and cruel and we probably all spend too much time doing that with the original cartoon so what I want to discuss here is how it could or should be wrote back in.

here is my take. I always saw the magnificence as a kinda knowledge genie granting the person in its possesion knowledge wishes. genies in storys are often used in moralistic storys where the person and viewer are warned about the dangers of getting exactly what they want. i think it would be odd that a creation that sophisticated would not be sentient and have its own agenda. maybe the race that built it added some kind of failsafe were if it fell into aliens hands it would find ways to ditch them. it could give the owner answers to the questions it asks but leave out vital information or missinterpreted the question pushing them into traps using the mixing truth with there lies method of treachary. maybe the race that created those golems to protect it had done so not to stop it falling into dangerous hands but to protect the galaxy from the magnificence itself. last time I checked it was in the possesion of ultra magnus and I think this would be fascinating as the last lines of his spotlight were questioning just how far he would go to get the job done and this story change could really push him on that self question. theres an ancient evil on the way in the idw universe so I think now would be a cool time to re-introduce it. it could also pop up in any future continuatys

I would love to hear your take on how they could reintroduce the magnificence. I would also love to know if you think they should leave it forgoten by the writers as you think the magnifence wasnt a good idea at all.
    I would love to hear your opinions either way

2. Hellscream85

Hellscream85 Well-Known Member

The Magnificence to me was a sort of analogue in the IDW-verse for Vector-Sigma/The Oracle from the original series and Beast Machines, as such I always felt it had much more power than initially revealed, but I don't think it can be easily re-introduced into continuity, at least not in the main title. I think a mini-series that brings in a couple of more obscure characters stumbling upon it then facing the possibility of virtual godhood from possessing it, I for one would like to see Star Sabre and Deathsaurus introduced into IDW continuity through a storyline like this

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I think I would like it featured just to tie up that loose end. Have it being discovered it actually contains a small fragment of the Matrix and it being reincorporated back into it then unlocks some kind of secret.
    Since Hot Rod had possession of the Magnificence at one point it could tie into his recent reveal of seeming affinity for the Matrix.

But kept as a Magic Eight Ball type thing I think it would be cheesy and people would be wondering why the Autobots don't just ask it for answers whenever they need to. Like what it D-Void and how do you defeat it? What is Megatron's real agenda? Who exactly died in the 1986 TF movie? :p 

4. Quixote_Prime

Quixote_Prime is missed.

News Credits:
    It's kind of like the Orb in Venture Bros.

5. gregles

gregles quintesson

I understand why it would fit in neatly with the oracle/Vector-Sigma/creation matrix/allspark type thing as it seems like it would have some divine primus creation but personaly I think it would be better to keep its origin seperate from the transformers alltogether as it seems sometimes like nearly everything in the transformer universe ties back to at least one of the 4 things I just mentioned. I think it would be cool to keep it seperate to add something extra to the universe like when the writers of beast wars desided to introduce something seperate and new to there universe with the vok

6. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

It's been kept to those four/five different origins because then it's actually easier to keep track of things. It's easier to use a pre-created object of interest that "Created" the Transformers, such as Primus or Vector Sigma, because everybody knows that's what they can do. Adding something new that is seperate from pre-established creation theories requires a whole ton of backstory to link it up to the main plot, and that usually involves a ton of things that make things more confusing than simpler more often than not.