The Magic of Toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Alucard77, Feb 13, 2011.

1. Alucard77

Alucard77 Kaon Gladiator Champion

News Credits:
    I know we all think of Toys as something to display, but we don't really open them to play with them any more. So I just wanted to share a little story with you guys, which may bring back memories from when you were kids.

My son is almost 2 and has been obsessed with Barney for the last 3 months or so. So, I needed to find something to take his mind off of asking about Barney all the time. I always wanted him to watch toy story. So I tried for a good month, and finally one day, he sat through the whole thing. Over the last month, I pretty much watched Toy Story 1, 2 and 3 a total of 100 times, which is much better then watching Barney 100 times. Now to the point.

I was in Toys R Us and saw the cartoon accurate Woody and Buzz toys and picked up two sets (1 for him and one for me). I was going to wait till his b-day to give it to him, but I couldn't wait. So me and the wife agreed to give him just the Woody toy and not the Buzz toy yet.

So as Toy Story finished. I told him that there was some one up stairs that wanted to say hi. My son thought it was his grandma or something. When I came downstairs with Woody, he stared at it in amazement for a good 5 minutes. He kept saying "Woody?", then pointing at the TV. He thought Woody had come to live with him. That night he wanted to bring Woody to bed with him, and now he carries him around pretty much everywhere.

So when you open your TFs, just keep in mind the first time your parents got it for you and how it was so unbelievable. The funny thing is, now that I am 33, that are not many things in life that are as magical as getting the Woody doll. Ah, to be a kid again.

2. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    :thumb 

3. AutoCon2076

AutoCon2076 Brightest can in toolshed

Awesome story. Sounds like you've got a pretty healthy relationship with your son. Good stuff.

~Z

4. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

My little sister watches my Beast Wars DVDs all the time. She was excited as hell when the Transmetal Cheetor I ordered for her arrived in the mail.

I wish I could still get that excited :( 

5. Noeldj

Noeldj DEVZ

SWEET story Brother, GOTs a 3 yr and new 6 mnth amazin stuff....

6. ComicGuy89

ComicGuy89 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    A very touching story, Alucard77. It is true that as adults we might no longer have the fun of viewing a toy as a kid again. Bless those children. :thumb 

7. Inikalord

Inikalord Legal Binding Contracts

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That is so cute :) 

8. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well, I have to say I had a lot of joy watching Toy Story with him and also seeing his reaction to the toy. That's the magical thing about Adulthood I guess. It's seeing your kids experience things.

9. Bulkhead

Bulkhead Autobot General Counsel Veteran

News Credits:
    Great story. I'm about the same age and I still get a little giddy every time I open a new toy. It's not the same as when I was younger, but it's the same type of magic. For me, the key is to open the toys and play with them. It's like riding a bike, the magic just kinda flows back.

10. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well, I don't think all the magic is gone, or I wouldn't be collecting now. Spent a couple of hours yesterday getting some shelves posed up. But it's not the same like I believe Woody is hanging with me.

BTW, off topic, but the Jazz Alternators Figure has the worst QC I have ever seen. My son would not say that part about a toy at least.

11. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Great story. :) 

12. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    Ah, the magic of 'as seen on TV' product placement. I remember a similar experience getting a Bosco puppet as a child.

13. Superquad7

Superquad7 OCP Police Crime Prevention Unit 001 Super Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Great story, man! I hope you have more of them :) 

I'd like to say that I'm EXTREMELY thankful that I've been blessed so much by my parents. I am adopted and often think about what my life could have been like otherwise. There are several memories I cherish like the one you've told. I still remember rather vividly when I got my very first TF, Thundercracker, way back in 1984. Several TFs (and other things) hold that same sort of sentimentality, and I'll be eternally grateful.

I often think of those things with my current collection as well as some times when I make my own purchases today :) 

14. Alucard77

News Credits:
    Well the thing that got my collection jump started was MP Grimlock. I still remember him from when I was a child.

15. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

Yeah, you parents have your magical moments with children, while we teenagers are just kind of angst nuts. I honestly wish I could feel all giddy and rainbow-like, but that's not happening any time soon.

16. Alucard77

News Credits:
    I think that is called Heroine. Us adults with Kids don't do that stuff though.

17. Kaymac

Kaymac I'M REALLY FEELIN' IT!

I'm just a teenager, but sometimes my cousin brings her daughter over (she's four), and we play with Transformers. I also showed her all my Thomas trains from way back when I was her age and she was enthralled with them. Toys are awesome!

18. Tigertrack

Tigertrack Back In The Game!

I still remember the joy of finding G1 Smokescreen at our local Toys R Us store in Reno back in the 80's.
    Dad took me shopping there once and I made a bee-line for the TF section. Just as soon as I asked Dad to help me look for Smokescreen, I instantly found him myself and I was so happy as he was my favorite character back then.
    Now, I just get excited whenever I get a package in the mail, open it up, and more TF's! :) 

19. FatalT 71

FatalT 71 Mr. JazzHunter

News Credits:
    The first "awesome" toys I remember were Kenner Darth Vader and Obi Wan Kenobi back in 1977. I think I was too excited to open them the first night and slept with them still on the card. I remember that once I got them open it was the beginning of endless lightsaber duels and the start of an obsession that would last years.

I still feel the excitement somewhat when I open a new toy (like that United Voyager Megatron - wooooo!), but really it's more fun to go hunting with my daughter and to see her get excited when we find something, or when she insists I open the packages that come in NOW so she can check for new TFs (she about died when she pulled a Classics Jetfire out the other day!).

Toys are great - and they're much better when you can share them with the kids

20. xanthax

xanthax choppaface

News Credits:
    Excellent story!