The Macross Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by pinoy78, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    American or Japanese? For American there's the Toynami 1/100, your local comic store might have some. MSRP for an unarmored one is $39.99.

If you're looking for a Japanese one, HI-METAL R(MSRP equivalent for $60-70 unarmored, about $80-90 armored)is one option and an even cheaper one is the transforming Revoltech(about $40) VF-1S Focker Special or VF-1A Hikaru Custom.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Scowly Prowl

Scowly Prowl Still calculating variables...

Are you looking for perfect transformation (i.e. it transforms without having to swap parts out)? I ask this, because, as this is a TF site, and most modern TF transformation sequences don't involve a lot of part swapping, that might be an important consideration for you.

3. The Smirker

The Smirker I Hate Sam Darnold

I would have to say the hi metal valkyries would be best.

4. MinerEdgar

MinerEdgar Well-Known Member

Thanks! I looked those up and they seem to be what I'm looking for, probably the Toynami being the best bet. The revoltech looks good, but the ball shaped joints everywhere stand out just a bit too much.
    Preferably Perfect transformation, but if is leads to better poseablity (as i know the waist and hips are tricky spot for valkyries) then parts swap is fine.
    Ill see if can find any for good price.

Thanks Guys!

5. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    You're welcome. Both the Toynami 1/100 and HI METAL R are close in scale and utilize parts swapping however it's not much. The canopy can be swapped for the heat shield going to battroid mode. The landing gear are swappable instead of retractable(gear down and closed doors).

You *can* transform either without swapping any parts technically. For example I have both. For the Toynami 1/100 I always left the hands on. For the HI METAL R I always leave big hands on and the gun trigger hand(one of the bigger hands has the trigger/gun handle molded with it) on. I don't both with the open intakes, I leave the closed ones on. I don't swap out the wings either(clean, hardpoint or anime style small wings molded together and much smaller). You don't have to necessarily swap the canopy for heat shield going to battroid but the chest plate tabs into the heat shield whereas it doesn't on the canopy. However there's enough friction to leave the chest in place.

I think your money would be best spent on the HI METAL R. Both of my Toynami 1/100's developed cracked polycaps over time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Scowly Prowl

I concur - HMR is probably what you're looking for. Plenty of poseability, and not a lot of parts swapping.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MinerEdgar

Oh jees. While they look really nice, is around $90 'accessible' when compared to the other Macross releases? Or am I not looking in the right places.

8. Happynick

Happynick Well-Known Member

If you want a good price on an Macross item you will need to preorder them , after that the price normally goes up.
    Compare to other 1/60 (~$200-$400) or Dx chogokin (~$200) macross items, YES around $90 is consider accessible . :confused: ,

you can get this VF-1s to see if you like the hi-metal R like. 5740 yen
    HI-METAL R VF-1S Valkyrie (Macross 35th Anniversary Messer Color Ver.)

or preorder this VF-1a with super parts 8050 yen (release in April )
    HI-METAL R VF-1A Super Valkyrie (Hikaru Ichijyou Custom)

or even this Robotech VF-1S Roy Fokker 1/72 Scale Figure $99 (release in April)
    Robotech VF-1S Roy Fokker 1/72 Scale Figure

here's a link with pics and review along with videos for the hi-metal R line
    Scorched Earth Toys » Bandai Hi-Metal R VF-1 Toys

I do not recommend getting the Toynami 1/100, they are build very poorly . I bought them years ago when they were cheap and even at $20 it wasn't worth it. Fell out of the display stand that it came with on the first week due to their polycap cracking.

• Like Like x 2
  9. MinerEdgar

Oh man. I do like the look of the VF-1A. I think ill go with that one. Thanks dude!

10. NeoMatter

NeoMatter Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's a little cheaper to PO directly from Kitz Concept. $90 USD including shipping. Scale fits other Macross model kits.

Just be careful jumping down the rabbit hole. You might not end up with one but multiple! And your poor wallet be be kicking and screaming too. :p 

• Like Like x 1
  11. UltraMagnanimus

UltraMagnanimus Fully Articulated. NOW WITH LIGHTS AND SOUNDS!

Man that Kitzconcept one is tempting, but I dont like ordering without any reviews.
    I wish Macross toys had the same advance test shot review community as TF toys do.

12. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Actually I say $55-60. That's about how much a HI METAL R VF-1 sans armor goes for at preorder from Japan etailers(like HLJ/Amiami) before shipping. Look at it this way, a Toynami Robotech 1/100 VF-1 sans armor is already at $35-40 yet of substantially less quality. Mineswell ponyup a bit more for a much better built HI METAL R VF-1.

HI METAL R VF-1 looks great, I just wish it was perfect transformation(it mostly *can be* aside the landing gear). It's a retooled VF HI METAL VF-1 mold from 2010(some had reported breakages at the spring pin joint beneath the intakes). For the HI METAL R VF-1 jenius had a diecast shoulder joint break. Not common .....yet. The TV pilots are way out of scale, they look like kids. The movie pilots look much more correctly sized. Sculpt is good overall, great in battroid mode, a little fat towards the engines in Fighter mode from the top. It's the only VF-1 toy that can transform with the head completely flush to fuselage to the point where the visor is completely hidden in Fighter mode.

The Toynami 1/100 leaves a lot to be desired. I didn't like how the polycaps for the bicep swivels on mine cracked on their own in addition to the stand. In addition, the leg swing bars didn't lock into place and some joints felt rickety. The sculpt it not as refined, even back in 2006 it reminded me of a late 90's anime toy you might find as an airport souvenir. Long term durability and sturdiness didn't seem like a requirement for its design nor taken into account. For me, the novelty of that toy wore off quick after a few years. At best, it's pricepoint from 2006-2009($20 for the figure with stand, $10 for armor) was reasonable. MSRP for it now is RIDICULOUS.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Good choice! Like others have said, be careful you might end up with more...or even the entire collection, lol. :p 

I actually recommend you spend a bit more and get an Arcadia 1/60. If you have the self control and want to save money in the long run, one definitive Valk in 1/60 scale will satisfy for a lifetime.

That being said, the HMR is a fun little set that is very impressive in itself. Much better than the Toynami or any other non Arcadia/Yamato option.

I don't remember if anyone mentioned but it also wouldn't be a bad idea to look into the old 1/55 that started it all. The Bandai reissues can be had for decent prices.

Anyways, have fun and welcome to the Macross craze!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Scowly Prowl

I agree that the 1/60 Arcadia VF-1s are very, very fine. It's probably the definitive version, and will have the potential to come out with some great variants in the future... if the minds are Arcadia deem it to be time.

That said, and I can speak from personal experience, if the cost and crazy amount of choice are driving you mad at 1/60, a well-kept and selected 1/48 valk, if you're just getting one, may be all you need. The proportions are off slightly in the unarmoured version, but stick the Super/Strike parts on a VF-1 and the size is just breathtaking. It's a bit wobbly compared to the 1/60, but the presence is very, very nice.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    We have to keep in mind, @MinerEdgar did ask for the lowest cost/easiest to find. 1/60-1/48 is going to be $150-200+ at this point on the aftermarket. Even Bandai 1/55 reissues sans armor are going for $100+. Long gone are the days where someone could get the 2003 1/55 brown VF-1A reissue for $30 before shipping. I got mine for $75 or so 5 years ago. 1/48 armor by itself is usually $100+ in the aftermarket with a VF-1 being substantially more. The days of seeing an Angel Birds 1/48 gathering dust MISB for $75 and 1/48 Max/Milia Super Valkyries for $99 MISB are long gone.

With HI METAL R the line is more recent and the prices won't fluctuate as much since the line is still in production. It's not like Yamato where prices shot up dramatically after they went out of business, nor Arcadia where secondary market prices go up since they aren't very frequent with releases, be it new or re-release. Even Arcadia's armorless VF-1's were bundled with some stand or some sort and the MSRP was over $100.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Happynick

Happynick Well-Known Member

For the Kitzconcept , You will have time to see the reviews before making the decision to buy it. Unlike Bandai macross stuff, these will be at store with availability for longer

The thing with macross toys is getting it on the proorder that's months ahead of release to get the discount.

• Like Like x 1
  17. NeoMatter

NeoMatter Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Makes me wish I jumped down the rabbit hole a lot earlier. :p  LOL

18. AliasAngelAlias

AliasAngelAlias Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  19. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    The HMR valk is nice, but it is small. I knew it was, but still I was surprised at how little it is. To me it's a bit too small to comfortably handle and transform. Especially getting the arms in place without them popping off. It tabs together very well in Fighter mode, and is great for Swooshing. I think I'm just going to leave it like that for now.

20. UltraMagnanimus

UltraMagnanimus Fully Articulated. NOW WITH LIGHTS AND SOUNDS!

Man I cant believe how expensive AmiAmi's shipping is. I went for the Arcadia max with damaged box and the 3850JPY SAL shipping basically erases the discount I got for messed up box!
    The Milia I got from NY was only 2740 and that wasnt even the cheapest option.
    Rats.