The Macross Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by pinoy78, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    Yeah I read about the looseness issue. Which is why I don't really mess with them all that much :D  As a matter of fact, each 1/48 Valk has only been transformed to battroid and back to fighter once. And some of them (as you saw in my other pics earlier) have been fitted with the super/strike parts. So in some kind of way, they're still kinda minty, but no MISB minty. And what was the BP8 part? I'm having a brain fart.

As for the license, I do hope Arcadia re-releases them with improvements.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    With all this talk of licensing rights etc. I wonder if there's any hope for a SOC GX SDF-1. That would be an insta buy for me.

3. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Depending on the size, my wallet says no, but my heart says yes!

4. paramedicprime

paramedicprime Banned

finally got a vf19 advance.

5. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    It probably wouldn't be that much more than the DX Valks. Well, $300 vs $200. About the same as some of the Arcadia releases right? Hell, that one joint is asking 300 for a Legioss that almost everyone thinks is gonna suck.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  6. davidwhangchoi

davidwhangchoi Well-Known Member

i think a few people are expecting some kind of vf-1 announcement for the 35th anniversary. whether it be a new mold or more reprints. i hope we get some good news. it'll be interesting if they ever will launch a DX chogokin vf-1 EX for delta. as bandai have the licence for delta. they did the vf-19 advance that only appeared in frontier for 3 seconds, i hope bandai does something interesting with the vf-1.

7. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    How do these announcements typically go? Are there certain events they are usually made at?

8. davidwhangchoi

davidwhangchoi Well-Known Member

i think generally we find out through certain Macross fans twitter's that first break the news and then anime news network or other major news site post the news/ or vice versa. (a few of them a fluent in japanese and also reside there.)
    and then someone will post it on the threads on facebook and hopefully here.

9. Happynick

Happynick Well-Known Member

congrats, probably the one of the best all in 1 valk package Bandai has released ( yes i know, if only they include some Missiles too :( )

10. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Sometimes Tamashii will announce something on their site then link on twitter or a magazine will show off new goods.
    That too
    According to Julian Oreska the celebration will go on for 1 year starting in October. It would be great to see Arcadia and Bandai both do something new with the VF-1.

I'm pretty surprised that bandai hasn't brought back the HCM in 1/72 scale, like make an all new one. That was THEE one original Macross toy they made in the 80's, that didn't use any pre-existing Takatoku tooling. Also the only VF-1 toy that can sweep the wings back in battroid with the missles still mounted underneath.

I would LOVE a revamped 1/55 VF-1...add universal hips/thigh swivels/ankle tilts and gun mount for fighter and I'm good.
    I dunno an SDF-1 in 1/3000(at the very least) would cost quite a bit. The last time Yamato released one it was up there in price(I regret passing on the sales for it).
    BP8 is the backpack hinge, if you push it past the stopper ridge, it snaps. Thing is, the stopper feels like a detent so a lot of fans felt the natural tendency to push past it.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Now that you mention it, it did feel somewhat fragile at that point. I always thought it was one of those things that was supposed to be held in place with the tab on the legs so I never thought much to push past a certain point. I'm kinda glad I never did. Yikes. I would been pissed if I broke that part. Are there any replacement parts for that?

• Like Like x 1
  12. UltraMagnanimus

UltraMagnanimus Fully Articulated. NOW WITH LIGHTS AND SOUNDS!

Yeah its going to be a wallet killer but since they dont come along very often its an instabuy. Its been so long and impossible a dream to get the last one they made theres no way Im passing up the next one they make as long as its big enough.
    That tiny Wave SDF-1 was just frustrating.
    Since they were going to make it a parts former it wouldnt cost them much more to go ahead and at least make it bigger so theres some reason to get it!

13. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    I don't understand why it would cost any more than other SOC releases. Sure it may be a little bigger but mechanically it would be much simpler than say Voltron etc. since it's not really a combiner. And it wouldn't need the tons of accessories either.

Basically just reissue the old Takatoku mold with some slightly improved hip articulation. Nobody's expecting it to be super poseable or anything. Heck in the show it didn't even have a knee joint did it?

14. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    There may have been some on Shapeways. The breakage mainly occurs when folding it up for gerwalk/battroid. If it goes past the stopper it'll usually crack. The V2 1/60 VF-1 thankfully doesn't suffer from that.
    The last time yamato did anything close(1/2000, then 1/3000 scale), they were up there in price. @Jarrod was the SDF-1 at Tamashii Nations 1/1800 or 1/3000?

In any case I can't imagine the SDF-1 being $200. All that intricate tooling for the surface.

While guys like you and I would not mind a reissue of the Takatoku mold, I highly doubt the market would. The Yamato SDF-1's raised the bar, any new SDF-1 toy at their size or larger(especially from Bandai) is going to come with the expectation that it's better than previous versions.

15. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Well I never had the Yamato but I did have the matchbox as a kid and I remember it being fairly well detailed. It didn't look like the Yamato was super detailed based on the review I watched. The reviewer even commented on that. I'm certainly no expert on the line but I get the feeling that SOC has always been a bit more toylike than Yamato's stuff anyway.

How much has the MSRP of SOC's varied? What was the most expensive one?

I'd offer the HMR Destroid Monster as a comparison. I would think it's not too far off in size, complexity and weight to what a SOC SDF-1 would be. And the SDF would sell better I'm sure.

The licensing issues might cockblock this. Didn't SOC Voltron only get made because Bandai knew they could sell a bunch in western retail channels? They wouldn't be able to do that with the SDF due to our good friends at HG.

As an aside, has there ever been a reissue or KO of the Takatoku mold?

16. Rewind

Rewind Swoosh!

News Credits:
    I just want Bandai to make a TV SDF1 the same size as the Quarter they did. The Quarter was about 20,000 Yen, no reason a similarly sized SDF1 would have to be much more unless they tacked on a "we know you really want it" fee.

17. Dark Skull

News Credits:
    Yeah I do recall it stops you and then you more or less have to fenegle the other pinned hinge part of it (since it's like a double hinged part) to get it to go the rest of the way. The 1/60 backpack hinge moves way smoother than the 1/48s ever did.

18. treatment

treatment Well-Known Member

Well, we could all wish for lower pricing, but unless and until the japanese-fans starts complaining loudly against Bandai and Arcadia, we're all just stuck with whatever these two companies will decide how much they think their home-market (japan) is willing to pay for their macross toys...

Yup.

The KOs were called "Joons". Think they were a korean outfit.

The last official reissue was Bandai's Origin line back in '08 or thereabouts.

The last KO was from some chinese outfit and the item was actually available at walmart at some point ('06?) , albeit in a funky Messer-like coloring.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. UltraMagnanimus

UltraMagnanimus Fully Articulated. NOW WITH LIGHTS AND SOUNDS!

Ha, yeah I grabbed one of those Chinese walmart chunky monkeys on ebay for cheap last year just because of the cool paint job.
    Heres what it looks like
    DQTOYS VF-1S bootleg 1:55 VALKYRIE GS-11 unused Robotech Macross - BROKEN TAB

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  20. Mark

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    Are we talking VF-1 or SDF-1 reissues/KO's here? I know there were VF1 reissues - i have one. Haven't seen much of anything when it comes to SDF-1 reissues/KOs.