The Macross Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by pinoy78, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Mark

Mark Just here for the toys

Ebay:
    Flickr:
    I don't know that I'd put too much stock into the pictures - Purple is a tricky color to photograph - many digital cameras don't capture it properly. Check out all the blue decepticons in youtube toy reviews. Emgo's Generations Blitzwing review is a great example.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OCProwl

OCProwl Autobot Dad

News Credits:
    Yeah I am hoping that is the case!

Does anyone know when preorders go up? Thanks! EDIT: Found the answer on MW, it's April 3. So I think that means Sunday night (Apr 2->3) at Midnight PST / 3am EST, since we're on DST now.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  3. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

I feel like this is a very very very stupid question. (Deep inhale)

After maybe more than a decade being disinterested in Macross (Macross Zero and Macross 7 really turned me off), I bought some of the toys for Macross Frontier and Macross Delta. I don't know anything about these series, I don't know these characters' names, all I know is the toys are awesome. Call me officially curious.

How do I watch Macross Frontier and Macross Delta? I searched on Amazon, and they don't seem to be out on DVD.

4. Shin Densetsu

Shin Densetsu I WILL DESTROY YOU Content Contributor Veteran

News Credits:
    Blu Rays off AmiAmi/cd japan

5. anubis20

anubis20 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    • Like Like x 1
  6. kazukun

kazukun HAACHAMACHAMA~

Took some pics from Anime Japan today from the Satelight booth

IMG_2863.JPG

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. David Hingtgen

David Hingtgen Chromaticon

News Credits:
    So if you saw it in person---does Mirage's -31 look anything at all like the color it actually was in the show?

8. theosteve

theosteve Well-Known Member

Well, bought OptionZero's vf-19s, and I can definitely see what you mean. It blows my vf-25 and -29 away in terms of quality of construction. It feels far more durable and "playable." It also doesn't look like it's quite the same scale. The head is so much bigger than that of the other two, and it's so much more beefy. I honestly like the -25 design better, but I wish it was built like the -19.

9. theosteve

According to Andrew at CollectionDX, it the DVD-262 is good but not great, and seems like a bit of a step down from the VF-31.

Still very tempted. So many things I like about that -262. I wish the colors of the vf-19s were those of the Daken rather than bright primary colors.

10. theosteve

I
    I've been watching Delta streaming on Kissanime. I believe they have all the Macross series online.

11. Sup3hobo

Sup3hobo Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You could also watch the blu-ray rips that have cleaned up footage and official english subs. And if you like the series enough you can buy them too. :) 

12. kazukun

kazukun HAACHAMACHAMA~

Definitely more pink than I remember, but then again it is under a spot light, not natural light

13. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

HMR finally gets its own well deserved shelf..top shelf!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    I saw the review. I am glad I cancelled my order. After seeing my Renewal 25's crack at the hip hinges without handling them much and how impressed I was by the 31, the 262 would've probably left me regretful. The money I could've used on that could go towards Messer.

I am not sure when Bandai stopped labeling scales or if they did, but the Frontier/Delta DX toys are roughly 1/60 scale. As far as the 19 being bigger than the F/Delta valks, it's supposed to be. Kawamori meant for the 19 to look superheroic compared to the VF-11 and VF-17 in Macross 7. Powerplants in the 25/27/29/31 are supposed to be more powerful than the VF-19 but easier on the pilot due to EX-Gear and other systems. As for why Kawamori has gone for a more insectoid/aneroxoid look post-Zero, it's anyone's guess. Frontier designs took a while to grow on me while the 31's silhouette in fighter is what initially grabbed me.

15. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    Step down? No way! Yes, there are a few parts that need a little learning curve to transform, but I've now got it down, after a handful of times, and can run through the modes as quick as the 31. And that's more a fault of the actual design I think. Build quality, solidness, paint apps, etc are all, easily, on par with the 31. All three modes are super solid, locks and clips in all the right places. Battroid is nicely articulated. Now, if you just don't like the look of the 262, that's understandable, but I've found nothing about it that doesn't feel as good as the 31.

Honestly, I must say, of the handful of video reviews I've watched, all but Wotafa's make the transformation look more cumbersome and troublesome that it feels in hand

Hope you don't regret, I think you're missing out. Then again, I'm a big fan of badcube type transformations, so... The 262 is just so unique and a fresh take on a VF, that it's hard for me to NOT like it. So maybe I'm a little biased, forgiving the transformation some because I like either end result so much.

I know what you mean about the 25s hips, had serious cracking in multiples of mine, which was definitely a downer. But I'm not sure how that would bring you down on the 262? Especially since you say you were so impressed with the 31. If anything, I'd think the opposite, since you were so impressed with the 31, Bandai's other most recent VF, that would make you more confident in the 262? (Regardless, I'm now keeping an eye on ANY Bandai figures that use those spring bar pins in plastic joints....which pretty much means any VF or SOC....)

16. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    Well after seeing 2-3 video reviews, the stuff those guys ran into were things that I definitely had concerns about and I knew I could put those funds towards things I would enjoy more. Big issue I had was the gun grip using the articulated hands. Another thing was how fiddly the toy seemed when going to gerwalk, especially the wings. Plus I had grilled Razerwire about his once he got it in. It's something I may pick up later on but it didn't seem like it would surpass the 31 in my eyes. Seeing the transformation on video left me thinking "I would not enjoy that". I am also hesitant to swap hands on bigger figures, the fact that the gun grip was finnicky on videos was a big turn off for me. Especially since there didn't seem to be clearance for the bigger fixed-pose hands to stay on during transformation.

The broken hinges on my Renewals made me very suspicious about any Bandai DX valk going forward. I just find it hard to see why, after the 31, they decided less ratchets were better for the 262.

Not even sure why Bandai used spring bar pins on the Frontier valks on high-stress areas. Hell I'm beginning to think that the 262 isn't by the 31 designer, but by the 171 designer.

17. theosteve

Yeah, I get that the -19 is supposed to look more heroic. The head sized difference is probably what really makes them look out-of-scale.

One thing I definitely like better aesthetically about the -19 over the -25 is the rifle/gunpod. I'm not a fan of those rifles you separate to make some weird looking gun with fragile parts. I prefer the more traditionally looking rifle of the -19, and that the Delta battroids avoid the Frontier guns look.

I'm with you on the 262's look and the fact that they changed up the transformation a bit. I really like the intakes forming the chest, the arms both forming from the spine of the fighter, and even the nose one head is intriguing. I'm only reporting that the video suggested it was a step down.

I'm really torn on this. I don't know that I can afford it right now, but I'm afraid the price will only go up if I wait. And unlike the the -29, where I wasn't wedded to any particular model and could wait for later release that wasn't as popular, I *really* like the navy and gold scheme and design on this particular model.

18. Happynick

Happynick Well-Known Member

If you like the look and is afraid the price will go up then you should probably get it now.
    assuming you wait and the price goes up, by the vf-31J trend it'll stayed around the 25000 to 28000 yen after release (2 month or so)

but if you are ok with the 25000 price then no worries.

19. Shin Densetsu

News Credits:
    A number of people including myself cancelled their preorders last week. I don't think it'll be as hard to come by as the 31, since the 31 is Hayate's bird and as a toy, raised the bar for Bandai's DX's.

Similar situation with Brera's Renewal 27, initially it was hard to score a preorder but it got rereleased and stuck around available for months after.

In your situation, I would only go for it if I knew for sure I could afford it. Better safe than sorry. Also, to date, even the 31 doesn't match the Yamato Macross 7 VF-19 toys so for me, while I do still what the 262, I'll be alright without it for now. Plus it's Keith's so it'll probably rereleased eventually.

20. Jarrod

Jarrod Semi-retired Builder

News Credits:
    Fair enough, if there's enough that you can tell you don't/won't like, then that's really the only opinion that matters. And it's a pricey piece to buy just in hopes you might warm up to it. I do agree that the 31 is more "fun" ...but I think I like the 262 better overall. The poor gun grip is indeed annoying, but at least the hands look decent, without swapping....really not a fan of the 31 straight fingered transformation hands. As far as I'm concerned Bandai's 0-2 on transformable hands on Delta Valks. I also refuse to swap hands on these for transformation...dunno why, so I just deal with the poor grip.

As for ratchets, I really don't think the hips are gonna be a problem on the 262, and it could be the way the hips work, ratchets were just not feasible. I mean, as long as Bandai stays away from the style of ball joints used on the 25/27/29 hips and shoulders I think we'll be good. I think the problem was those ball joints were all single diecast ball, in simple two piece sockets. Yamato/Arcardia would put the ball joint in a socket "block" which would then slide into part. I haven't had, nor heard any issues with the 30 and 19A hips, which followed a similar construction style to Yamato, with a "block" surrounding the ball joint, which then slides into the leg. Likewise, the 262 uses some very stiff universal swivels which, so far, are much more sturdy than my 31 ever was...in fact, I think they are the tightest of any Valk I own. Time will tell how they hold up, however.

Hmm...could be, however most of the Bandai DX Valks more or less feel the same to me...but they could just be because they all share a fairly common aesthetic. That said the 262 "feels" very much like the 31 and 19A to me, their more recent stuff. The 171 still frustrates me, and I don't get that frustration at all from the 262. It's like the 171 is an XTB product: over complicated with things getting in the way of each other, and you swear this part will not move that way, or it's somehow supposed to be in the same space as that part overthere. While the 262 is Badcube: lots of moving parts that have to be done in a certain order, but still have a clear direction of where they need to go.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 1