The lying professor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Streck, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Streck

Streck <B><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">QED</B></FONT> Veteran

Now there's a teaching technique for you:

http://www.overcomingbias.com/2008/02/my-favorite-lia.html

2. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

I'm confused just reading that...but if it got people to double check facts and study the notes, it's all good to me.

3. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He kept saying, "At the end of the term, you all get cake!"

4. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    that's awesome...

5. ranoobu

ranoobu I like fried chicken

News Credits:
    I think it's not the technique.. but the delivery.

If you're a boring ass teacher.. I could card less trying to find the "falsehood"

if you show enthusiasm and not a "ben stein" style of teaching.. You've got my attention.

/opinion

Thanks for the read

6. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

The sign of a great teacher is that they try their best to make students want to learn on their own and this guy found a unique way to do it. Awesome story, more teachers should be as ingenious as he was.

7. Gnaw

Gnaw Banned

THE CAKE IS A LIE! THE CAKE IS A LIE! THE CAKE IS A LIE!

8. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    That's a great idea. I'd love to take a class with a professor with a sense of wry humor like that.

9. MaikeruSan

MaikeruSan KnightStalker

News Credits:
    No one is going to catch it. A few people who actually listen might catch it. As for me I sleep and still get VERY good grades. I could teach better than most teacher's in my highschool. There all IDIOTS. One algebra teacher even shows hunting videos. Then gives us Worksheets. The Soc.St teach has no due date, you can turn in when ever you want. Science teacher dosent come half the time, so we watch movies. When se dose come she projects notes on the board, then lets us copy them. Dont get me started on the english teacher. If you do your work you fail if you dont you pass. I wish I actually had good teachers. Every teacher should have to take a test on there subject. If they cant pass fire them.

10. Blaster_Prime

Blaster_Prime drank the last beer

Great to hear that professors are trying to push past the "regurgitation-style" of teaching the american education system has fallen into :) 

11. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I love that!

I had a few professors/teachers over my years that had a sick sense of humour.

First was a math teacher in high school who HATED calculators and called us all calculator-cripples (and rightfully so). This was back in the days of solar powered calculators. He gives us our test, tells us we are free to use our crutches, then proceeds to close the blinds and turn off the lights.

Second was a professor who was big on reading all of the instructions on an exam before beginning. Gave us an exam, which (if you actually read through all of the instructions like you were supposed to) told you to answer only the last question.

My personal fav was the guy who set up his multiple choice exam answers to all be C. Let me tell you that you will definitely question your choices when you see that all along your answer sheet.

12. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    That is a great idea, but may only work once...

My dad was telling me a story about a professor (It had to be philosophy) that asked one question on the final. It was:

WHY?

Apparently students took this opportunity to write long winded explanations that no doubt got good grades for them. The one student that received the highest mark thought for a moment and answered:

WHY NOT?

13. Streck

That reminds me of another teacher, who taught history in reverse until his superiors put a stop to it:

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2007_05/011294.php

My stomach always squirms when I hear about cool, enthusiastic, and innovative teachers who get shot down by those in charge. There's entirely too little passion in today's education, and it pisses me off to no end. The funny thing is that many of them aren't really that unorthodox - they're just making use of existing knowledge about how people learn. Our institutions aren't really set up to encourage this sort of thing, though, and the ossification seems to worsen at lower grade levels.

14. MaikeruSan

MaikeruSan KnightStalker

News Credits:
    I wish I grew up having awsome teachers. I had to teach my self, just about. School is alomost over for me, till college. But teacher's are seamingly geting worse and worse.

15. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    ...and it shows, too.:eek: 

Just pulling your leg, btw. Seriously, though - the failure/success of teachers at the high school level is...really kinda frightening. There are some out there that really put their all into being educators (in fact, if I remember correctly, we have some HS teachers here on the boards.)

Others...yeah. Show hunting videos. I remember being placed in the "remedial driver's education" class (i.e., the one for the kids that had failed driver's ed) when I moved to virginia from NC because I already had a driver's license in Carolina...but had to have a learner's permit in Virginia due to age differences.

The driver's ed teacher showed us car chase movies.:lol 

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  16. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I'm guessing your English teacher is the worst of the lot. These days it seems to be a frequent and widespread problem. Reading statement forms from my students is a strange and frightful literary excursion.

One of my history professors, who was chair of the department at the time, had been teaching the same courses for thirty years. He had every single lecture memorized, and would occasionally and purposely wander off topic with such subtlety that 45 minutes into the lecture on Romanov family history, you'd realize that you just took two pages of notes on "Phoenician Blinds: the ancient art of Mediterranean window dressing." By doing this, he got us to listen to what he was saying, and not just scribble down everything we heard.

For students arriving late to class, he'd announce "... and that's what you need to know for Thursday's exam. Moving on ..." That solved the tardiness problem rather quickly, as sometimes he really would tell those that showed up to class early what was going to be on the next exam, and refuse to repeat it once he said it.

17. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    What a shame.

As for the original story, very cool. Teachers should be encouraged to find new and interesting ways to get the lesson across. Good for him.

18. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Learning history backwards sounds awesome.

19. Streck

It seems like a great way to establish a meaningful connection to age-old events, and to emphasize the process-oriented nature of history - as opposed to abruptly transplanting someone and commanding "Okay, care about this."

20. Omegatron

Omegatron Mandatory Fun. Buy it now TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    When I was a fifth grade teacher, I thought of taking the backwards approach to history. For one thing, it shows why history is important. For another, most (American) kids have a general idea of history (Indians, pilgrims, revolution, civil war, WWI, Great Depression WW2, Civil Rights, Vietnam, now). Learning how it's all connected, and why it shapes our lives is the interesting part, which one can start doing once the basics are down.

I would have paid a lot of attention in the lying professor's class. I'm just the sort who likes to play games like that- though in the back of my head, there would always be the suspicion that one day there wouldn't be a lie.

My favorite college prof was an engineering prof who would only give grades of A+, A, A-, B+, B, and F. You got multiple chances to retake exams and master the knowledge, though. His rather logical reasoning for this is that you wouldn't want to drive over a bridge if you knew it had been designed by an engineer who got a C- on his structures final.