the love guru...(spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Lumpy, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    so, my wife works for a radio station here, and she was working the sneak peek tonight...and oh boy, i went along...

FUCKIN SHIT...that movie blew so bad...i was really hoping mike meyers would make a really good movie and boy did that not happen...most of the funniest parts were in the previews, which is lame...and the one thing that made me laugh the most was was a surprise cameo from Val Kilmer, as himself the movie was full of poop and penis jokes, which i just personally don't think are all that funny...and when they are funny is when they arent overused...there were 3 or 4 gags (his book titles, him spelling out words like GURU to show a different meaning, midget jokes, etc) that were sso beyond overplayed...like 5 or 6 times each...in a movie that barely filled 80 minutes...

and, i shit you not, the climax of the movie featured two elephants having sex in the middle of a hockey rink, during game 7 of the stanley cup...

justin timberlake was the only thing that made this movie semi-not-want-to-punch-myself

jessica alba seemed awful, and vern troyer is played out too...if you're a diehard meyers fan, you may wanna just netflix it...or if you're just really curious, netflix it...

i am really quite bummed...i wish tonight had been the get smart sneak instead, that looks like it might be worth something...

Steve Carrell > Mike Meyers

2. Mr.Roboto

Mr.Roboto YOU'RE A SHRUB ROCKETEER! Veteran

News Credits:
    Mike Myers hasn't been funny since Waynes World on SNL. Even then I wanted to punch him in the face.

3. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I was hoping that it may be good, but it seemed like Austin Powers 4...in a way and that could NEVER be a good thing

4. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Wow. Must be pretty bad if Justin Timberlake being in the movie is what stopped you from punching yourself.

5. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I saw a preview for this before the Incredible Hulk. It was so bad it gave me cancer.

6. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

I had wondered if it would be a rehash of his overused jokes and left overs from the AP trilogy.

Now I know.

Yeah, yeah, and knowing's half the battle. (one of you folks out there, reading this, was gonna pop up and say it. Stole your thunder. Huzzah!)

All joking aside, I'm pretty let down by Myers. Not everything he's done has been a hit out of the park, but he's been pretty consistent (until recent times) about providing quality humor and escapism. No longer, it appears.

Wayne's World was surprisingly fun and it showed.

Austin Powers was out of left field when it debuted, but won over the hearts of many, because let's face it, there's some pretty funny stuff in there.

Shrek was never my cup of tea (I watched all three of Drek, I mean Shrek...) but Myers was entertaining. Problem is, he didn't write it. Not sure if that's a good thing or not.

The Love Guru seems like it's just one long running left over from the AP trilogy that they just couldn't find room for. In fact, Myers admitted they had to cut almost three hours worth of comedic scenes and planned gags/jokes just to get it (the first film, or was it the second? One of them...) ready for theaters. Now, we know where all of it went.

It's a shame. A sad shame. He showed what a great mind he has when he was the guest on Inside The Actor's Studio, but throw a film reel in front of him and he just goes all wonky. *shrugs* I don't get it.

7. Prowl_Delta_31

Prowl_Delta_31 Eating your donuts

News Credits:
    That was in bad taste.

8. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    The Love Guru seems like another Austin Powers movie because, in a way, it sort of is.

Back in the second film when Austin lost his mojo, in his travels to find it, he was to come across the Guru Pitka, who would help him get it back. Ultimately, this was scrapped from the film, yet Meyers held onto the character and developed him over the years, and this is the result.

Personally, I'm looking forward to this movie. I think penis and poop jokes are funny. I'm not expecting Oscar-worthy material, just something to give me a few laughs one afternoon.

9. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist TFW2005 Supporter

I agree. I know going in it's not going to be a fantastic movie that I'm going to watch over and over again. I know it's going to be cheap jokes and cheap laughs. As long as it gives me some chuckles for an hour or so, then great.

10. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

Nothing could get me to see this movie.

11. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The title made me lol. Spoilers? :lolol 

No please! Don't spoil the Love Guru for me!

It's the most horrible looking piece of shit I have seen advertised on TV for a long time.

12. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    QFT

Although, Steve Carrell > almost every leading comedic actor

I actually liked the first Austin Powers Movie. the first. Then it got played out. The only good thing about the 3rd was Beyonce...

Mike Meyers only good film in the last ten years was Cat in the Hat, which was surprisingly good considering how much I disliked all other DS movies.

13. llamatron

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

ok.

14. j.a.f.o.

j.a.f.o. Just Looking, Not Buying

I've always been disappointed for Mike Meyers in that he has pigeonholed his career into playing roles that are over-the-top caricatures (Wayne Campbell, Austin Powers, Shrek, Cat in the Hat, etc.) and is unable to carry a movie behind a relatively "normal" persona (ironically, I've always liked "So I Married an Axe Murderer").

Like Robin Williams before him, Meyer's wacky schtick is already old: He'll either need to learn how to diversify (like Williams in recent years) or expect his career to be relegated to MTV movie award hosting.

But I digress, The Love Guru looked like pan-fried shiet when I first saw the preview. And Jessica Alba hammers another nail in the coffin that is her acting career.

15. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    yeah, well i know if i hadnt put it, someone would be freaking out that i ruined the surprise of the elephant sex scene....

16. Jeremy.B

Jeremy.B Formerly Leader Blackout TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    What do you mean? This is a small bump in the road to Oscar gold..."FF", "FF2", "Idle Hands", "The Eye"...shall I go on?

I kid, of course

17. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Well I can't enjoy this movie now that everyone has spoiled it for me. Thanks a lot.

Honestly, the only Mike Myers movie I enjoyed was so I married an axe murderer.

18. misterd

misterd Well-Known Member

Let's be honest - most comedians repeat themselves. There is something comforting about a familiar joke, but there has to be something new. That's why so very few can sustain long careers.

Look at Mel Brooks. After The Producers, Blazing Saddles, and Young Frankenstein, you pretty much saw all of his A material. Then it all got recycles in new settings, and to diminishing returns. If you saw Spaceballs FIRST, then it's hysterical, but if you knew Brooks' work going in, you could see the jokes coming a mile away.

Same can be said of the ZAZ movies - Airplane was great, but Airplane II? Naked Gun trilogy?

Myers really does have charisma. He needs to be willing to let himself be in a comedy with an actual story, rather than a character piece.

19. llamatron

News Credits:
    I dunno man, midgets (sorry, little people) are pretty flippin' funny.

20. Strikeback

Strikeback Drifting Away

I just KNOW I'm getting dragged to this. If I do, I am going to MST3K the living SHIT out of the movie as loud as possible.