The Lost World (1912 Novel) made into a movie?

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Tyrannosaur, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur 100% Sarcastic Saurian

I love the book and read it atleast 5 times. Just fyi this isn't the sequel to Jurassic Park this is the original story written by Sir Authur Conan Doyle back in 1912, it was later made into a movie in 1928 I think, a few years before King Kong came out.

There have been a few remakes. One was the idiotic 1960's version and instead of stop motion they used lizards with fake horns and frills attached to them. There was a TV series which was really good but it doesn't air anymore, and BBC finally made an tv adaptation that was true and faithful to the original book.

I always hope one day someone will make a big budget motion picture. I was thinking either Peter Jackson (King Kong, best remake of all time) or James Cameron to direct/produce it.

2. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

IMDB is your friend. But most versions of that awesome classic are really bad.

3. Tyrannosaur

I remember the Aslyum made a version just to cash in on King Kong. I fucking hate those idiots. I know it sounds wierd, but actually I think Tim Burton would make a great remake of this.

4. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    here is a list of all of the version made based on that book The Lost World, a 1925 film adaptation of the Doyle novel
    The Lost World (1960 film), a 1960 film adaptation of the Doyle novel
    The Lost World (1992 film), a 1992 film adaptation of the Doyle novel, with the action transposed to Africa
    The Lost World (1998 film), a 1998 film adaptation of the Doyle novel, with the action transposed to Mongolia
    The Lost World (2001 film), a 2001 BBC adaptation of the Doyle novel
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World, a 1999-2002 television series based on the Doyle novel
    Return to the Lost World, a 1992 film adaptation of the Doyle novel, that follows the 1992 film The Lost World
    "The Lost World", a 2000 adaptation of the Doyle novel in the Radio Tales series on National Public Radio
    King of the Lost World, a 2005 film adaptation of the Doyle novel, with the action transposed to South America

the Jurrasic park sequel is based on a book by Micheal Crichton and has absolutely nothing to do with the orginal book other than the name and the fact they both have dinosaurs

5. Tyrannosaur

Actually, Jurassic Park The Lost World (The movie) has alot more in common with The Lost World (1928 film) than the book does. To point out a few similarities:

1. Both had a dinosaur let loose and rampaging in a city.
    2. Both had a large carnivorous dinosaur (Allosaurus and T.Rex) raid in the campsite.

Those are the only ones I can think of so far, I can't remember much about the 1925 film I saw it a few years ago.

6. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    very true but they have separate source material which is what im getting at, the stories could not be more different

7. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    But the Allosaur didn't chase Japanese business men....

8. soundwave86

soundwave86 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Agreed.

I loved the lost world book. But i would hardly call King Kong the best remake ever. More like the longest fucking movie ever made. It was good still but too f-ing long.

As for a movie. I'm iffy on it. Just thinking of it reminds me of the amusement park "movie" called Journey to the center of the earth. Huge disappointment for a story that had potential too.

9. Tyrannosaur

Hopefully they'll take it seriously. Remember Land of the Lost? I like Will Ferrel but, meh.

10. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

I don't think we'll ever see an actual theater-released film. There has been so many versions to varying degrees of success, that the idea is just stale. Let it die it's well deserved death.