The Lost Light panel in TFNation

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lucas35, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

I don't see any solid evidence of a rift betwixt James and Alex. Rather, I think the new artist was typical new-editor-shakeup-&-relaunch malarkey. IDW brought on a bunch of new editors, who took a look at Alex's working schedule and decided "let's give LL a new artist & use Alex on some other big Revolution-related thing."

• Like Like x 5
  2. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

Yeah, Milne was only told that he wasn't going to be working on the The Lost Light at last year's SDCC. He found out when we did. Now that seems pretty fucking unfair.

• Like Like x 2
  3. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Which completely sucks and I don't think anyone would deny. You seem to be pushing the idea that it's James' fault, which we have no evidence of.

• Like Like x 4
  4. lordcryotek

I'm "pushing the idea" that I want an answer and the lack of any real statement from Roberts isn't making him look good, but it doesn't mean he's guilty, which I made very clear. Even if he had nothing to do with the situation, Roberts not standing up for the artist that arguably made the series as good as it is doesn't exactly make me like him, especially with how poor the art and writing have become on The Lost Light. All it would take to clear the air is for IDW to say why they made the sudden decision, and I hope someone who attends TFNation will ask why that happened.

5. Bumblemus Prime

Well, to be fair, this is one of the major complaints against the comics industry. At-will work that can be terminated for griping, or exclusive contracts that forbid revealing too much on social media.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Napalm

Napalm Sins Of The Manfish TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    While a little interaction with the fandom can be a good thing for writers/artists, making yourself available for all on social media can be a double edged sword when certain quarters think they have a right to know about decision making that doesn't concern them.

What happens behind the scenes at IDW is the business of IDW. You don't like it, vote with your wallet.

• Like Like x 2
  7. SparkPlug24

SparkPlug24 Named after the Mini-con, not the Witwicky.

Call me Red Alert, but I've got a little theory and I've been waiting for an appropriate thread to post it in. One could infer from his tweets that Milne suffered some sort of hand injury in early 2016. Now, it's not unheard for a graphic artist to over exert themselves when drawing, either with tablet or pencil so maybe he was putting a lot of work into the 40s of MTMTE, hence the fill-in artists at certain issues. I think that IDW noticed this, and not wanting Milne to develop maybe a permanent infirmity that would affect his career, took him off the book after its branding, but for whatever reason saw it fit not to inform him of such a decision. Clearly there's holes in this theory, with proof like his knockout work on Lost Light covers and the character design and interiors for ROM v. Transformers, but I like to think of it that way rather than a falling out between creators.

8. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

There will be contractual reasons why Roberts can't tell you what's transpired between him, Milne and the editors. The timing of the announcement may have been badly handled, but behind that there may also be reasons for the change that Milne himself was on board with. It might be, for instance, that he requested alternating arcs or a switch-up for health reasons, and they bungled the business of getting back to him with their decision before the news went public. It can be frustrating not to know these things when you feel personal loyalty to the creators, but they're probably in a position where airing the dirty laundry would do more damage to everyone concerned, going forward, than putting it behind them.

• Like Like x 2
  9. markerguru

markerguru tech master TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    No, I never had any injury to my drawing hand. If I complained about any pain in my hand it's from possibly just trying push to get multiple pages done in a single day which can put strain on any artists hand.

I wouldn't ask for such a thing because I'm greedy and would want to work on everything if I could :p 

• Like Like x 6
  10. Bumblemus Prime

I'm here for that, dude.

• Like Like x 2
  11. NanakoPreame

NanakoPreame Certified Mama Luigi

At this point it feels like Cryotek was more hurt by the change then Milne was.

• Like Like x 3
  12. lordcryotek

Yeah, I'm passionate about wanting something I once liked to be good again, how dare I show emotion on the internet! Milne's art in MTMTE brought me back into collecting, without him The Lost Light just isn't good at all and it pisses me off to see it go downhill so fast. I'm loving ROM though, so I guess it really shows where the talent was with the series.

• Like Like x 1