The Lost Light panel in TFNation

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lucas35, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

I vaguely recall reading that Mindwipe, Soundwave and Dreadwing were also considered to join the crew, but he had to change it after RiD claimed them.

2. Zylly103

Zylly103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Sounds like there was a lot of redirection at different times. And while I admit I was extremely invested in Megatron's redemption arc, I'll bow to the consensus that he was vastly dominating the story.

I'd also forgotten how many people hated "Swearth." Especially since it was my favorite issue of Season 2.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Nathanoraptor

Nathanoraptor Active Member

At the panel, he didn't mention those; he just said that Ravage would have taken Cyclonus' role in a very preliminary outline for the series (he also said that this would not imply a Ravage/Tailgate ship; sadly, that has encouraged me to imagine such a thing). When I asked him about an integrated crew, he said that he'd wanted a few Decepticons on the crew; he namedropped Blitzwing, but he didn't say any others. I suggested replacing Swerve with Swindle and he seemed to like the idea.

He also liked the idea of Chromedome's stag do; Whirl, Ravage and Cyclonus looking around for Chromedome, whom they have misplaced, in a Hangover-esque misadventure.

4. Sockie

Sockie Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Dreadwind, not Dreadwing, and he never appeared in RiD; he was killed off during the Costa ongoing.

5. raindance773

raindance773 Well-Known Member

The problem is these are all Roberts' headcanon because he never SHOWED us any of these on screen. It's great that he has all these ideas, but they are absolutely pointless if he doesn't SHOW any of it on screen.

You have an awesome character. Great. You had all these awesome notes. Greater. SHOWING that awesome character on panel. BEST.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Danny-Boy

Danny-Boy Centurion

News Credits:
    Well, its less headcanon and more Word of God/authorial intent, which is still the kind of thing that can only at best be considered apocrypha.

7. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

I have the same feelings on it. It doesn't fucking matter if you came up with this amazing backstory or personality details if they are never on the page. It's headcanon, or what Danny-Boy said: apocrypha. It's so frustrating because the DJD story ended up amounting to fuck all. The fan who is only reading the books, not even the wiki, much less some recap of a con panel, they won't get ANY of that. It's asking far, far too much of the reader without giving them even close to the information they need to be considered playing "fair."

It's interesting to see how fucked his plans got because of IDW editorial and the toy crossovers, though.

Anode is still an atrocious character, though, whatever his excuses for her.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dramatic Spoon

Dramatic Spoon Well-Known Member

I vaguely recall something mentioning that he would have liked to use Dreadwing, if he hadn't been killed off.
    I think it was on TVtropes or something.

9. lordcryotek

lordcryotek Well-Known Member

I just want to know why the fuck Milne isn't on the series anymore. If it's Roberts' problem, which it's kinda sounding like it is, he needs to grow the fuck up and recognize that he's an amateur working with actual artists and be grateful he was ever allowed to have anything published.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Sockie

News Credits:
    Dreadwing was never killed off, though (without immediately regenerating). You're still thinking of Dreadwind.

11. RNSrobot

RNSrobot Keeper of the Waspinator Swarm. Blam.

I mean, I'm with you, but how is it kind of sounding like James'problem?

• Like Like x 1
  12. lordcryotek

Well, when MTMTE first came out, it was going to be drawn by Roche, but he stepped down very quickly because Roberts was so particular about how his script was drawn and Milne has mentioned in the past that he's had difficulties with his specificity and I've read that he's not interested in working on it again if Roberts is still the writer and its been mentioned that the two had argued about some stuff. I could be wrong here, I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt, but the more I read about the situation, the more its looking like Roberts fancies himself a bit of a diva. I dunno, the very fact that he has barely said a word about the matter aside from being happy about the new artist adds more fuel to the fire. The silence is kind of damning. That said, if someone knows that it wasn't his choice or if he quietly fought very hard for his artist, let us know.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Cevel

Cevel Well-Known Member

Source on that bolded part?

14. lordcryotek

It was a from a facebook group thing, that thread had a bit more info, but he came onto the forums and mentioned briefly that the two had "argued about doors", whatever that means. Clarity would be nice from all parties, I want to be able to enjoy the comic again.

15. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

I took the "argued about doors" line as a joke - I think it's come up before that they've had back-and-forths about how doors should work, or something like that.

The longer we go without a proper account of what's happened with Milne, Roberts and Lost Light, the more likely it is that some kind of relationship turned sour, but that parties on all sides are too professional to air the dirty laundry. If not Roberts and Milne, then Milne and someone at IDW.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Sockie

News Credits:
    He's still doing interiors on Rom vs. Transformers, plus covers on LL, so I highly doubt anything really turned that sour between him and anyone at editorial, if that's what you're implying--he'd still be working with the same editors.

• Like Like x 1
  17. lordcryotek

Yeah, to be clear, I don't want that to be the situation, Milne and Roberts were a great duo who helped me get back into the franchise. It's just sounding more like Roberts thinks he's Alan Moore or something with his scripts.

• Like Like x 1
  18. dj_convoy II

dj_convoy II Remix!

News Credits:
    Alan Moore doesn't treat his scripts as sacrosanct, so your allusion falls down a little bit, there.

• Like Like x 1
  19. WilyMech

WilyMech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    About Roberts and Milne not working together is it our business to know what the reason is. My answer is it is not mine business the personal between artist and writer. I am glad that Milne has Rom vs. Transformers and Lost Light is still ongoing.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Focksbot

Focksbot Skeleton Detective

Seems pretty unfair - if you were writing a comic and you had a lot of complicated stuff going on in your script, you'd want to make sure the artist was getting everything exactly right. You've got gaffs in MTMTE like Rung having a wheel despite Roberts intending for him to transform into a weird key, and this having to be papered over with a line about his 'trolley'. No one's fault per se, but exactly what happens when the writer doesn't explain everything he can, because the artist is otherwise going to fill in the gaps. I can well see Milne and Roberts falling out somewhat not because either of them is being unreasonable, but because the number of back-and-forths over minor details just wears them both down.

• Like Like x 1