The Lost Light panel in TFNation

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by Lucas35, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Lucas35

Lucas35 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I found on twitter from another Transformers site a summary of the panel:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 15
  2. rlmiddleton

rlmiddleton Swoopatron

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Instagram:
    Well I hope Rook gets some decent characterisation. And isn't another 2 dimensional smart arse or stuffy comedy caricature.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nathanoraptor

Nathanoraptor Active Member

The Ravage question was asked by me. I'd heard on TFWiki that one of James Roberts's early ideas for More than Meets the Eye included Ravage stowing away on the ship and was curious on what that story thread would have entailed. To elaborate, the idea was merely preliminary; Ravage was quickly claimed for Robots in Disguise. Apparently, Ravage was planned to take Cyclonus' approximate role (someone who has reformed, but is mistrusted by the crew); Roberts had been looking for a "token Decepticon" for a while (he'd considered Blitzwing for the role, amongst others), but (I'm guessing) he went with Cyclonus because it allowed him to show a perception of the Autobot-Decepticon war through the eyes of an outsider.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Bumblemus Prime

Bumblemus Prime Cracked in the head

It sounds like the book would have been a little smoother without the relaunch.

Did no one touch the issue of Alex coming back on a permanent basis? Sheesh.

I loved the new version of Star Saber. Want to see him come back! I felt like Roberts dipped into the very tip of a deep well of stories about religious fundamentalism and war among the Autobots there.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Lucas35

News Credits:
    Other questions of TFN that I found on a tumblr:

The egg came first, I got to ask James Roberts a bunch of DJD related...

6. edgs2099

edgs2099 Optimistically realistic. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I want me an eyefull of Milne as well, but wouldn't that have been like asking your friend about his ex-significant other in front of their current significant other?

7. Bumblemus Prime

Ve have vays of politely asking about a regular rotating stint vithout dissing Lawrence.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Nocturne

Nocturne Professional Ginger

News Credits:
    Not a very exciting question but I asked Roberts how much time had passed between #49 and #50. The answer was six months, and apparently poor Rung spent most of that time at the bar drinking non-alcohol drinks.

9. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    One of these days, I hope James actually tells us what the original Season 2 plan was, and doesn't just list off a bunch of things that did happen and say "Didja know this wasn't the original idea?"

• Like Like x 1
  10. Lucas35

News Credits:
    More from tumblr:

●◯☽Lunar Bones☾◯●

The egg came first, More DJD facts acquired today! I asked both...

11. Strawberrytop00

Strawberrytop00 Derpticon

"TARN IS OCD. HE PICKS AT HIS FACE, HAS THE ADDICTION TO TRANSFORMING, ETC"

The fact that Tarn is my favorite character and suffers from OCD like me put an odd smile on my face for some reason. XD

• Like Like x 3
  12. justiceg

justiceg Well-Known Member

The Megatron thing ('I had to remove him because I didn't know how to use him with what was coming up') has really re-affirmed my decision to have dropped the book, because I'm not sure what Roberts' long-term plans ever were or whether he even has them anymore. =)

The details on the DJD are nice, but given that they never showed up on the printed page and Milne isn't even a creator on the book anymore, they're basically no better than fanfic at this juncture.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    So, basically, AGAIN, the story of MTMTE got derailed by higher up decisions and probably would have been better. THANKS IDW... -.-

And: ROOK appeared in fiction?! I thought he and Alpha Bravo were only toys. I don't remember ever seeing them.
    I think... ONCE AGAIN, I would've preferred what he really intended. Same with the filler episodes he needed to write to lign up MTMTE with RID because of the crossover that time (which doesn't work out anyway, because of IDW's fucked up release schedule and you end up reading comics out of order anyway, which makes the whole story lines totally weird. Like the last time when Sentinel Prime was already defeated and then still invaded Cybertron. Or when Pyra Magna talked peacefully and then she's back at backstabbing.

I take it, Roberts isn't so flexible when it comes to story writing and sudden changes to his plans. I mean, his book was definitely the best when no one told him to do anything else than just write his story. Later it was still the most entertaining to me, but we all know he wasn't up to par anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    Somehow, I don't think Swearth and Personality Ticks were editorially-mandated

• Like Like x 1
  15. Bumblemus Prime

Yeah, at one point he teased a huge event story around issues 39-40, and as I recall, that was the start of a real low period. Theory was that Combiner Wars derailed whatever he had planned.

No, but he might have had a long list of potential filler stories to go between more intense, drawn-out arcs and had to use two in a row.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    No, they weren't. But he said that he needed to make some filler episodes to stretch out the story line to line up the books. So... he might have come up with the stories anyway, but maybe not one after the other.

Huh? Where is the rest of my text?

I actually said: I liked those stories and would have liked the personality ticks story actually to be longer and more meaningful. The first part was cool, but the second part fell short. With that ending it should have been only a one issue story.

17. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    Ah, you're right. It was Combiner Wars.

I mean... If you think about it? Usually people tell us what they wanted to originally write, if the final story was better than what we got. I conclude that probably what he intended to write was better than what we got, because it would be a little mean to tell us what we should have gotten, when we're not going to get it.

Imagine you would know what would have happened in Animated Season 4. Wouldn't that be even more torture than just knowing it was cancelled?

18. Bumblemus Prime

Do we have that on record? I am scratching my head to remember where I read about a "huge" arc mid-Season 2, & wondering if James ever confirmed that Combiner Wars changed his plans. Reading between the lines it obviously did.

I suspect that Dying of the Light was going to happen mid-Season 2, followed by the Functionist Universe to wrap up Season 2, with James not realizing the trouble he'd have with Combiner Wars and Titans Return. I suspect the Sunder story was also moved up, and Skids was not ever meant to die in DotL, but maybe First Aid was.

19. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I don't know. Everything I know I read here or on TFWiki. I don't read other sites regarding Transformers.

20. Bumblemus Prime

Well, my guess would be that James' original outline looked something like this:

Either Swearth or Personality Ticks left off in order to move the Necrobot story up to issue #40 & including the Getaway subplot in the Necrobot story

#45-50 Dying of the Light (pre-empting the Scavengers & Sunder stories for later)
    #51-56 The upcoming Mutineers story
    #57-on Possibly the Scavengers as filler (combined with some ideas that made it into TR issues?) then the Functionist U story.

• Like Like x 1