The Lorax (2012) - The first trailer appears

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by uruseiranma, Oct 27, 2011.

1. uruseiranma

uruseiranma Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dr. Seuss' The Lorax Trailer 2012 Zac Efron - YouTube

One thing that Hollywood just can't seem to get right most of the time, are Dr Seuss adaptations when it comes to film versions.

Ron Howard's 'The Grinch' was passable entertainment, as was Blue Sky Studios' 'Horton Hears a Who,' which to me, rendered Who-ville in brilliant detail.

However, there's always those little bits here and there that make us wince...like 'The Cat in the Hat.' It now appears that Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment (aka the animation guys behind 'Despicable Me'), are off to exploit 'The Lorax.'

I'd been hearing about this for some time, and the trailer just rubs me the wrong way. The use of Polyphonic Spree's 'Light and Day' feels like their attempts to dull the senses before the mallet knocks you out.

It appears that this time, there is no curious little boy wandering down 'The Street of the Lifted Lorax.' Instead, we have a boy in some artificially-made town who through his 'hormonal urges,' wants to get good with the local redhead by giving her a tree. And so, begins his journey which eventually leads to The Once-ler, and the story of The Lorax.

Probably not since Rupert Everett took on the now-seen role of Dr Clas has something made me feel this tinge of anger. Apparently, the fillmmakers felt that we wouldn't understand The Once-Ler if he/it was just a couple yellow eyes and long green gloved arms/hands...so they made him a human character, as can be seen in the trailer.

Also, I don't quite know how to feel about Danny DeVito's voice coming from The Lorax.

2. Orion_Prime48

Orion_Prime48 Super Sentai Purist

News Credits:
    that song suuuuuucks, but the movie looks good atleast

3. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    I like DeVito, but no. I don't want to hear his voice coming out of the Lorax.

Actually I don't really want anything to do with this movie. I'll stick with the book & original cartoon.

4. Noideaforaname

Noideaforaname Pico, let's go up to Zuma

News Credits:
    I don't think full-length feature films done in CGI/Live action can ever come close to adequately adapting Dr Seuss, much less when they rely on celebrity voice actors. A lot of Seuss's charm is that he packs in a wonderful story you could read within 5-10 minutes, and of course his distinctive, if rather rough, art style. The old animated specials kept it short and sweet along with actually looking like Seuss drew it.

Something that bugs me with these recent adaptations is the eyes. Dr Seuss did little 'u's for the pupils, but for some inexplicable reason the new adaptations give them realistic pupils, which just look awful.
    [​IMG]

For some strange reason, CG Lorax reminds me of Garfield.

5. Optimus_Prowl

Optimus_Prowl I'm the Goddamed Two-Face

News Credits:
    Eh I'll give it a shot. The only Re-suess movie I havent liked so far was cat in the hat so this is interesting at least. And it doesnt look terrible. The premise is actually kind of neat and if they do it right could still hit home in a big way for the environment. Do I expect it to? Nope but I could be wrong.

6. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Im not able to watch videos thanks to the hospital internet server policy (yes i ammstill in the hospital) when does this movie come out?

7. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    March 2nd.

8. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    i like it!

9. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I dunno, if the Despicable Me people are behind this, I'll be willing to give it a shot.

10. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Looks Disney-ish

11. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    This is just wrong.

12. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'm no Seuss fan but my wife is and she hated the trailer. Apparently it just feels wrong.

13. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    I dunno, Polyphonic Spree were pretty cool and unique and special ... at least five years ago. By now it's getting tired, overplayed.

I don't know what to make of this trailer. It might be one of those animated features that, in spite of all the attempts to appear playful and inspiring, is actually the product of a joyless machine manned by jaded adults trying to fake it for a living. That's the vibe I get. It seems to ooze insincerity.

14. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Anyone looking forward to this movie next week?

I know for one thing, after I see this movie it makes me wanna plant a tree in my yard.

15. Rewind

Rewind Space Hipster

News Credits:
    Still avoiding this thing like the plague. Oh hey, The Lorax is going to be selling SUVs now. That makes sense. :|

16. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    :banghead:  *Insert rant about how Hollywood's been a bunch of complete douchebags for the past decade here*

17. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It feels wrong because the Lorax was all about the environment and this has NOTHING to do with the environment (according to the reviewers I've read) so what is the story about then?

18. jala12

jala12 Fiery Adventurer

This is a horrible attempt to remake and modernize a classic childhood story.

19. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits: