The Lonely Collector...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by clankizle, Aug 26, 2011.

1. tehKOREANdude

tehKOREANdude Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    sup dude? xD

2. thelittleprince

thelittleprince Member

Count me as one, too, but I actually prefer it as it is a personal hobby (I collect other stuff, too) and I don't like others messing with my stuff. :) 

3. B'Bantor

B'Bantor Extra like OMG

As I'm reading through the posts here I'm realizing I'm very lucky as three of my oldest and dearest friends collect toys. I know lots of folk who have some toys and like toys but I wouldn't consider them serious collectors. Those of you who hide your collections out of shame- I've been in peoples homes who left their smut and worse lying around. I understand the stigma of being socially recognized as a "geek" or what have you and why some of you who are still of the school age would want to avoid such a hornet's nest, but really toy collectors who are over the age 14 catch a bad rap for the most part because they're not arrogant d*baggy jerks.

4. clankizle

clankizle Well-Known Member

The only time I "hide" my collection is so idiots don't break my stuff. I don't feel like my hobby is a shame, I love it. I think hobbies like smoking crack might wanna be hidden. But toy collecting? If you are ashamed of collecting? Then there is something not right with you.

5. Sportimus

Sportimus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Being an old-fart 30-something, I am definitely a lonely collector. I know people who have hobbies and for me, TF's isn't my only hobby either. But it is the one I never mention openly to others in real life. My family has always been extremely judgemental, so I guess that has had an affect on me over time.

It seems that people who collect Hot Wheels and Star Wars get less criticism?

6. Raiju

Raiju Navel Shocker Veteran

News Credits:
    Flickr:
    To be honest I'm a bit of a closet collector.

The only other person to really share my passion in person at the moment is my fiancee (soon-wife), god bless her heart. Being active duty military too I think there's this perception of us having to be macho and tough and all that, and not collect kids' toys but meh, only person I'm out to impress anymore is said fiancee/wife (I must be doing something right if she agreed to marry me XD).

Haven't really met any other fellow collectors in person but then I'm set to move again pretty soon so who knows, my luck could change there.

7. Billzilla

Billzilla Skepticon

News Credits:
    I don't know any other collectors. Most of my friends are aware that I do it. One or two are actually pretty interested in it and are willing to help me out by checking stores and what have you, but none collect themselves. My girlfriend is surprisingly tolerant and even helps me out with customs (she's a better painter than I). My parents have no clue. I'm not sure how to explain to them that their 31 year old son woke up a few months ago and decided that the thing he wanted most in this world was a fuckload of transformers. It hasn't really come up, they don't live close.

It doesn't help that NYC generally sucks for collecting. Retail figures are generally a little more expensive here than elsewhere in the US and the sightings board, while sometimes useful and always well-meaning, is not usually a great resource. There also appears to be a lot of scalping here. I get most of my figures on the internet. So not a lot of community that I'm aware of in my area.

I do most of my hobbies alone. Not by choice, I just don't know anyone who's particularly into the stuff I am. Don't hang out with anyone who watches wrestling, didn't know anyone who played pokemon (and stopped trying when I realized it would take someone years to get good enough to be interesting for me to play), played a few MMOs I couldn't hook anyone on. I assume the problem is me, but that doesn't stop me from behaving as though the problem is everyone else.

8. SpectorDave

SpectorDave Wrecker

I dont know a collector in person!