The Lonely Collector...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by clankizle, Aug 26, 2011.

1. clankizle

clankizle Well-Known Member

When I first started collecting I collected with a few friends I knew. We would trade figs and go out hunting together. It was alot of fun. After moving away I still collect and have an entire room full of expensive rare plastic. My girlfriend is pretty much the only person who ever sees my collection and she is always "Hmmm how much was that?" I still love the hobby and I guess my question is does anyone else collect alone?

2. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    I've never met a fellow collector in person.

3. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout Hammer of the Gunplas

I have a buddy who collects TF's, but we haven't hung out in a while (some stupid thing called "College" or whatnot). I still want to collect, though, since it's something I enjoyed long before I knew that guy and I still continue to enjoy it.

4. Matt_M

Matt_M Snarkabot

News Credits:
    Yeah. And I store them all in my bedroom so that company doesn't have to see them.

Eventually I'm going to get a place with a 2nd bedroom that will be a "study" and instead contain all of my secret shame- toys, video games, graphic novels/tpbs, etc. and maintain the illusion of a well balanced and responsible adult.

5. theironhulk

theironhulk Autobot Medic

News Credits:
    I collect alone and I love it. Kinda gives you two different worlds. The real world: Work, school, girlfriend, (parties ahem..) and your own personal world (Toy collecting, video games, etc). :D 

6. clankizle

I have all mine in the loft upstairs. I don't want company to come over and try and manhandle a figure not knowing what its worth or what they are going to owe me if they break it. lol

Oddly enough my girlfriend has an idea of what some of them cost so alot of the time as soon as someone comes over she gives the "don't touch a f-in thing upstairs" speech.

7. maximus_73

maximus_73 Well-Known Member

I am. In my family, I am the only collector. Does that count? :D 

8. Transbot90210

Transbot90210 Banned

News Credits:
    How can you be a lonely collector when you have TFW2005?

All jokes aside, collecting for me has always been a solitary sport. I have one buddy that use to collect so I can talk to him about stuff and he keeps an eye out for figures for me at retail (thanks for windcharger).

I share most of my passion for this hobby with the people here and that is more than enough for me.

9. Roufuss

Roufuss Shots

News Credits:
    I collect with my girlfriend -- don't really need anyone else to collect with.

There are a few people online I trade information with in terms of whats out there in our area but that's about it.

10. OldDirtyBot

OldDirtyBot ODB

Sounds like you need a trip to Botcon. That will cure your lonely collectoritis heh.

I know a few other collectors around my local area but no one real well except one guy I've known forever but we don't see each other that much so its mostly a personal collection. I'm a little to old to have my friends come over and play with my toys. :) 

11. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I haven't known an actual collector for years UNTIL I started getting invloved in the sightings board for my state. Now I see them at stores and go to meetups. I suggest you check out your areas sightings thread, and see if you can set something up.

12. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    I don't collect with anyone. Family and a few friends know about them, and they always 'WOW' when they come in. I always think to myself at that point, 'You should see some peoples' collections on TFW...'

13. AutoBobby

AutoBobby The Collector

I've met some really cool guys through TFW2005.If it wasn't for this web site,I would be a lonely collector.

14. clankizle

I'm not complaining about it I just wondered if others collected alone or not. Everything else I ever collected like cards comics and such I collected with my brother and all our friends. I know collectors just not within 1000 miles of me. I have made a few trips to Botcon and that is where I see people I started collecting with.

15. Dinobot747

Dinobot747 Chopperface

News Credits:
    This is basically my situation.

16. ElekTriC

ElekTriC Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    pretty much do everything on my own, have one detolf case in the living room and the rest i got in my bedroom ;)  got some nice pieces in the living room.

like:
    MP-04 optimus prime in vehicle mode
    Hot Toys Ironman 6 and warmachine
    MP-03 USA Starscream and skywarp
    MP-3G starscream ghost version

17. ShyGuy

ShyGuy Bye

Besides myself, no one I know collects. I do have friends who like Transformers and watch the shows and movies, but I'm the only one who actually collects the toys.

18. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Yeah, Botcon is nice for "Hey, oh, I know you from the boards!" moments. In Houston we have a quarterly get-together but I know there are some collectors out there that don't ever attend them.

19. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I collect alone. Most likely, it's going to stay that way.

20. jru42287

jru42287 With great power...

News Credits:
    I have the opposite thing going on. I had one good collecting buddy who I would exchange sightings information with, and pick up stuff for on occasion, but now I've actually started being a bad influence on a new friend of mine. haha