The length of the film!

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by PrimePower04, Mar 30, 2009.

1. PrimePower04

PrimePower04 I got the touch!

For those of you who have not seen, I recently asked Mr. Orci about the length of the film and he replied and I quote "probably a tad longer".

Im excited that the film is a bit longer because I feel the bot screen time will increase significantly....especially because they dont have to introduce everything like in Tf1.

2. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

That would be cool.

3. Bottom Out

Bottom Out Well-Known Member

honestly a "Tad" better mean 45-60 mins if they want to include everything we've been hearing about and do it RIGHT. anything less and you can expect that either megatrons reanimation, devestator, soundwave, the fallen, and/or the human pretender is going to get shafted

4. PrimePower04

Very true...but you also have 2 realize there will not nearly be as much only human scenes...either military will be with ironhide & whoever or sam will be with BB... 2 and a half hours I think will be enough, but maybe they mess around and have pointless humans again...I guess we will see

5. Brutus

Brutus Autobot

...wow...

Howabout just be happy it's being made and further happy it isn't 92 minutes long.

6. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ifthe movie were that much longer, it'd be over 3 hours. One of the common complaints about the first movie was the length, and I doubt an action movie such as Transformers could carry on THAT long. The first movie was 2 Hours 15 minutes, so a tad probably meas arund 2 1/2 hours at most. Besides, even with a bigger bdget, the robots still cost tons of money to animate.

7. PrimePower04

Other than Orci not liking longer films I have never heard anyone complain about the 2 hr. and 20 min. length...I think the movie should only be 2 and a half hours but if POTC, LOTR can be 3 hours, TF definately can!

8. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

Yes... providing that there are NO pointless scenes... only scenes that carry the story from beginning to end.

9. Shadow25

Shadow25 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1) Many critics, such as Roger Ebert, felt the film was a bit too long, citing the final battle as beng overlong. Look it up on rottentomatoes.com or something.

2) Pirates of the Carribean (3, I assume you mean), was quite less than three hours, maybe about 2:45 at most. Lord of the Rings is entirely different. You have to realize that the writers must craft a story not only to service the fanbase but appeal to the general audience, and make their own plot based off established characters, themes, and plot elements. Lord of the Rings was based off a single source, 3 novels, which were each a couple of hundred pages long. It's entirely different filmmaking, not to mention genres. LOTR is more character driven and has a muchmore grand-scale, epic plot than Transformers could have. This is not to criticize TF, but just because one fiction film can encompass that length does not mean at all that one with a much different style and understanding can. 2:30 is more than enough. Too much action to fill time doesn't make the movie great, it makes it worse.

10. Optimus-wave

Optimus-wave A.K.A. Omega-Wave

QFT and to add...they didnt even have to include the fallen, nor devastator etc. so i guess we should be more appreciative than anything

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    It'll be twice the length of half the film.

All I hope for is it doesn't take an hour to get to some decent Transformers stuff while dicking about with the human storylines.

12. PrimePower04

Well In my opinion robert ebert is no expert....the last battle was awesome and Im sure 98% of the people who saw the film felt exactly the same...except for sam killing megs and prime getting his ass kicked & how jazz was killed so easily..lol...but nm that...I did not think that final battle was too long, watching fighting robots is never too long!

13. ThaRizla

ThaRizla Well-Known Member

We all know that if the movie just had the robots and their dialogue in it we would be happy with that. So it's not really the length of the movie that matters, but what's in it and how its portrayed.

What would be better?

1.) 2hrs 45mins of half human scens and half robot scenes

or

2.) 2hrs of 1/4 human scenes and 3/4 robot scenes

I think we all know the answer to that but it wont happen because they have to appeal to the general audience.

14. a.g.e.1

a.g.e.1 Autobots....Roll Out!!!

One thing we got to realise is the humans will always play a part in the live action movie universe. One thing Bay always said is that he wanted the movie to be realistic. The only way they could make it real was by seeing the human reactions to giant alien robots. Obviously ROTF will delve deeper into how humans react, but as long as the Autobots and Decepticons are on Earth, humans will always play a part of the movies. So therefore I believe it would be balanced, most likely leaning more towards the robots than the humans this time around, but the humans will still have some time.

The major humans we have in ROTF are Sam, Mikaela, Lennox, Epps, Simmons, Leo and probably someone else we haven't seen yet. With the bots, we have Prime, Megatron, Starscream, Bumblebee, Soundwave, Mudflap, Skids, Devestator, Sideswipe and probably a few more. Hopefully the Bots & Cons will have more time.

15. Zarscream

Zarscream Well-Known Member

well.... i don't really care how long as long as there's the robo-action and destruction and things that go BOOM!!!! and come on its a tfs film !!!! be glad it happened:D 

16. comaface

comaface Crush, kill, destroy

Keep in mind, you're talking to a man who doesn't believe that the running time of an entire feature length film is sufficient for introducing one character.

Same running time as the first or slightly longer is cool with me. I hope that there is more of a balance between the robots and humans (maybe 50/50, as opposed to the one-third/two-thirds of the original), but I understand that there will still be some significant time devoted to the humans. I also hope that a little less of the human screentime is given over to comic relief and more to advancing the story, though I don't want them to remove the humor entirely.

17. Bottom Out

lets see, the first movie we introduced sam, mikayla, bumble bee, prime, megatron, barricade, frenzy, and black out. We also introduced s7 and simms...dont forget epps and them guys too. People complained there wasnt enough development of the characters.

this time we have to introduce the new autobots, the new decepticons (who knows how many) then we have to introduce the fallen (and explain what hes doing on earth) then introduce jetfire (and explain what hes doing on earth) then introduce devestator, dont forget sams new best friend, that new government character, oh..and we have to reintroduce megatron and explain how he came back to life...oh yea, theres also the pretender who looks like a human...we have to introduce her and explain what thats all about too...

i am happy that the movie is being made, but i am even more unhappy that the writers decided to throw in too many side stories...we dont need the fallen, we dont need a pretender, we dont need 40-60 bots....

well see how it turns out, im confident they will work it out, however i believe they could have made a more strong story by using less characters imo. They used starwars as an example...starwars has only a handful of characters per movie that matter and they never had to kill vader in order for the movie to have a good ending...

18. PrimePower04

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

but in empire strikes back they did make it seem hopeless for the good guys and lukes hand got cut off....Im expecting similar ending plot in this film....personally I don't care if all the bots have deep character explanations, just the main ones....i want to learn more about prime, ratchet, ironhide, BB, jetfire, sideswipe, springer, and the chicks....jolt dont care twins dont care, wheelie dont care...I just hope they dont give bot screen time to the wrong bots...minimal dialogue for the twins or jolt and more for springer, jetfire, and sideswipe!!

19. Bottom Out

well when i say good ending i dont mean like a "good guys win happy ending" just an overall good ending for the movie