the legend of zelda timeline theorys and debate thread. post ideas here!

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by thundrwaveprime, Jul 31, 2008.

1. thundrwaveprime

thundrwaveprime the witch king

this is my order. ones that are close together are direct follow each other, ones that are far apart take place hundreds of years apart.

minish cap

ocarina of time
    SPLIT
    majora's mask

twilght princess

four swords adventures

a link to the past wind waker
    oracle of ages/seasons phantom hourglass
    links awakening

the legend of zelda (original)
    zelda 2 the adventure of link

i can write a novel explaning all the explanations and twists and stuff about this, now post your own ideas. :) 

2. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

It doesn't exist.

My take is that there are several series much like transformers.

The 4 swords series starts at Minish cap, followed by Four Swords, and ends at Four Swords Adventures. It gives different origins for Ganondorf, does not contain the Triforce, does not mention the 3 Gods, nor does the master sword appear. Totally different story.

New series Starts at Ocarina of time and encompasses Majora's Mask, Twilight Princess, Windwaker, and Phantom Hourglass. There may be some time travel based splitting between OOT MM and TP.

The 16 bit era series features A link to the Past, followed by Oracle, and Link's Awakening. In spite of early claims that A link to the Past is a prequel to the 8 bit era games, that may have been a mistake. Though there's so little story in the first Zelda that this is still possible, but not absolute.

3. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

News Credits:
    ...head splitting over this notion...

Don't try to make sense of it. Just enjoy the games.

If they had wanted a timeline, there would have been one.

How come no one ever tries this with the Mario games?

4. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Yeah, there is no timeline. Each game has it's own plot and events, with just the very basic and vague background of Link/Zelda/Ganon in the past. Exceptions are Zelda 2, Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask, Phantom Hourglass and MAYBE Wind Waker (it's iffy if that's a true sequel to OoT because some things, like the Sages, don't add up from what I remember). Twilight Princess isn't a sequel to OoT because of various reasons, the most important one being Ganon's imprisonement into the Twilight realm.

5. CripNite

CripNite That Whack Canuck Dude

News Credits:
    The only timelines are small ones, in that Zelda games come in twos (IE Zelda 1 and 2; Link to the Past and Link's Awakening; Ocarina of time and Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Phantom Hourglass) with the exception of 1 (Minish Cap/Four Swords/Four Swords Adventures) and one that's not done yet (Twilight Princess presently has no pair, but it's either Link's Crossbow Training -doubtful for lack of a plot- or it's pair is in the making). Other than that, there's so many holes and contradictions in the timeline that it's practically impossible to make them work together.

6. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

Crossbow training seems to just be alternate presentations of key battles in Twilight Princess, no real story to it. Fun game though.

7. Hybrid Prime

Hybrid Prime Banned

This one is pretty confusing to me.I love Zelda I just gave up on trying to put an order on them.Although I have not played one since the Game Cube WW.

8. Scrapper6

Scrapper6 Lord of Constructicons

Because the Mario games for the most part have a concrete timeline of events that can be pretty well followed if you go by year of release date and system. The only exception to that rule would be the contradictory origins for the characters created by the Yoshi's Island series.

If I'm wrong sue me.

As far as the Legend of Zelda goes. Ask Shigeru Myamoto to share his timeline of events for the series. The creator obviously made something of a timeline since he's the master mind behind it all. And if he won't share it then that's just because it's probably so complicated and full of plot points not yet adressed by any games due to the fact that Zelda games don't come out as often as Mario games that he refuses to spoil the future of Zelda for the fans. :D 

9. EvaUnit13

EvaUnit13 REBUILD

I think Miyamoto said there isn't a definite timeline and they haven't put as much thought into that than lots of Zelda geeks. I personally prefer no timeline so that I won't have to play every single game to get the complete story. Mario pulls this off since the timeline is very simple, but other games like Kingdom Hearts have pretty complex timelines

10. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

11. Bumble Prime

Bumble Prime all the time

from what I have gathered is there ARE certain timelines, but might as well be certain "universes" as every Link is a new incarnation of "the hero of time" or whatever the other titles are for it........

12. PrimusVsUnicron

PrimusVsUnicron Well-Known Member

13. Boulder

Boulder Rock Lord

Sort of old news there but of more recent interest, Hyrule Hysteria is being brought to North America and is available for pre-order now on Amazon.

I still prefer to think of each group of entries in the Zelda series as a retelling of the same basic story and liken it to the various mythologies in different cultures. (For a modern example, look at the variations on Santa Claus/Father Christmas.)

14. Bendimus Prime

Bendimus Prime Rolls for initiative

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Perhaps, but Shigeru Miyamoto draws on his personal interests and knowledge for all his games (Zelda is based his own explorations as a child). I may be wrong, but I'm sure I read somewhere that he is a Buddhist, so reincarnation would be something that he would know about. And since he injects a lot of himself in his games, it makes sense that Link, Zelda, and Gannon are all the same people, just reincarnated each time.

The only problem I have with this is the lack of civilization development. I understand that the LOTR setting is synonymous now with Zelda, but it seems like time should keep pressing on while our three main characters are waiting to be reborn. Fleets of ships (Wind Waker), and steam power (Spirit Tracks) seem to be the only technological advancements that are seen from the previous games.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  15. hupla

hupla Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    one true timeline
    [​IMG]