The LED light thread (information/opinions)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by frenzyrumble, Aug 8, 2007.

1. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    A LED lamp is a type of solid state lighting (SSL) that utilizes light-emitting diodes (LEDs) as a source of illumination rather than electrical filaments or gas. They are tiny and CHEAP.

I... for one, think adding lights to any custom...make it unique and exceptional. Since the Barricade light bar thread, I've had even more interest and thought to "how can I add lights to my custom...the best and most effective way"

so I did a little research.

To begin with, it seems there are hundreds of retailers online that sell LED lights very cheap, and a wide variety.

Second, I think practicality takes a huge part in an idea of adding lights. Where will they go? Will the TF still be posable/transformable. Will the lights accent a feature, or will they distract eyes?

Where do I put the light(s)? Luckily, there are different types of LEDs you can get. Different colors/sizes/etc. It's important to make battery replacing possible. You don't want to build a custom and seal inside a leg a battery that's got a month lifespan. Go for the gold, install the largest battery possible.

Make sure also, to make the light's on/off mechanism accessible. Most would prefer a button accessible to a finger. Needing a bent paper clip to turn off or on your light...will become a pain in the but.

Here are a few good lights I prefer. They last a long time, and are available in colors. The battery is large, but these will last forever.

[​IMG]

Here's the same light, disassembled:
    [​IMG]

The next one is SIMPLE and in it's casing is the battery. All you need is a hole to stick it in. (get your mind back to my thread)

[​IMG]

Here's another cool one.
    [​IMG]

You can even create your own...from scratch. Buying LEDs intended for 120 (or more volts) and getting the correct resistor in the power line, will adapt and mod it for battery power.
    [​IMG]

Personally, I've found the quickest and cheapest way to add light to your custom is to hit up a walmart, target or random toy store. Keep an eye out for cheap toys with lights in them. Chances are - the manufacturer's gonng do the above work for you. Buy that $2 clearance toy with dust on it, and smashy smashy with hammer and out of it's insides will come your next custom light.

2. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I also forgot to mention...
    http://www.bodylighting.com

TONS of small, bat powered lights. Cheap and they deliver QUICK.

They offer lights with a solid beam or ones that blink.

Here are some samples...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

they also sell batteries VERY cheap. pack of 10 is like $7.00
    [​IMG]

3. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I also forgot to mention...
    http://www.bodylighting.com

TONS of small, bat powered lights. Cheap and they deliver QUICK.

They offer lights with a solid beam or ones that blink.

Here are some samples...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

they also sell batteries VERY cheap. pack of 10 is like $7.00
    [​IMG]

4. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm thinking STICKY!!!

5. megamus

megamus Overworked and Underpaid Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm thinking STICKY!!!

6. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    This is OUTSTANDING!!!! Thank you, sir!

7. revlimiter

revlimiter Bot Hacker

News Credits:
    This is OUTSTANDING!!!! Thank you, sir!

8. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I've been thinking most of my "light piped" toys need to have leds put in them so they show up in my usually darkened room (when I feel like turning them on). Transformers' eyes should glow.

But some LEDs produce some heat. And that's the one thing stopping me from using the SUPER BRIGHT LEDs for dark colored smokey/clear plastic eyed Transformers. (Movie Ironhide, I'm looking at you.)

9. Night Flame

Night Flame TFW2005 Supporter

I've been thinking most of my "light piped" toys need to have leds put in them so they show up in my usually darkened room (when I feel like turning them on). Transformers' eyes should glow.

But some LEDs produce some heat. And that's the one thing stopping me from using the SUPER BRIGHT LEDs for dark colored smokey/clear plastic eyed Transformers. (Movie Ironhide, I'm looking at you.)

10. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    AWESOME work! I hope we all can explore this further :) 

11. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    AWESOME work! I hope we all can explore this further :) 

12. Wingsbr

Wingsbr Christian TF Fan :)

News Credits:
    I see this catching some fire. What an awesome way to add some special touches to kitbashes, repaints etc. I picked up 10 of them today and I'll probably go back and get some more next payday. Nice to have around, I can already think of 2 that would be awesome, Barricade of course but also my BTA-01 if it's possible.

13. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    I see this catching some fire. What an awesome way to add some special touches to kitbashes, repaints etc. I picked up 10 of them today and I'll probably go back and get some more next payday. Nice to have around, I can already think of 2 that would be awesome, Barricade of course but also my BTA-01 if it's possible.

14. JinSaotome

JinSaotome Banned

Ebay:
    Hmmmm, good idea for a thread!

I didn't know LEDs were in demand like this but I can see why. Ok, allow me to impart upon you what is for me the #1 best LED 'kit' available for dirt-cheap out there. It comes in just red so far but you can solder another LED on there.

Gummi Lightning Bug Candy
    [​IMG]

Within the tongs is a removable LED, 2 inches of wire, and a push-button switch with the batteries inside that is a little under 1/2 an inch tall. I've used it on my light-up scope for Megatron and you can drill into a figure's back and put the switch in usually. They're only 99c and you can find them at most Walgreens, Rite Aid, Kmarts, in the candy isle with those Spongebob-moving pops.

And of course the horn whistle for Barricade's lights:

[​IMG]

15. JinSaotome

JinSaotome Banned

Ebay:
    Hmmmm, good idea for a thread!

I didn't know LEDs were in demand like this but I can see why. Ok, allow me to impart upon you what is for me the #1 best LED 'kit' available for dirt-cheap out there. It comes in just red so far but you can solder another LED on there.

Gummi Lightning Bug Candy
    [​IMG]

Within the tongs is a removable LED, 2 inches of wire, and a push-button switch with the batteries inside that is a little under 1/2 an inch tall. I've used it on my light-up scope for Megatron and you can drill into a figure's back and put the switch in usually. They're only 99c and you can find them at most Walgreens, Rite Aid, Kmarts, in the candy isle with those Spongebob-moving pops.

And of course the horn whistle for Barricade's lights:

[​IMG]

16. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    **sees lights go off in the dealer room and botcon 2008, 2 seconds later, leds flashing everywhere like a mini-galaxy** heheheee

17. Wingsbr

News Credits:
    **sees lights go off in the dealer room and botcon 2008, 2 seconds later, leds flashing everywhere like a mini-galaxy** heheheee

18. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

LEDs are nice, but sometimes they're too big. Miniatronics has little boards with rice-grain lamps with different strobe effects and such. Great for police car Transformers.

19. Turbocharger

Turbocharger We should get more letter

LEDs are nice, but sometimes they're too big. Miniatronics has little boards with rice-grain lamps with different strobe effects and such. Great for police car Transformers.

20. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

This should be copy/pasted into the Exhaustive Kitbasher's Resource thread.