The Leader of Team Prime After Optimus Should Be...

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Chopperface, May 19, 2011.

1. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    Bulkhead.

Now, hear me out.

Who is Bulkhead? He's a big, lovable, clumsy, badass big bulky green Autobot. His clumsiness has gotten him in trouble with Ratchet ("I NEEDED THAT!!!")Arcee notes it once ("[A malfunction] caused by Bulkhead... remember the time he walked into power lines? Who knew he could dance like that?"); and even Optimus noted his large size was a hinderance to him ("Bulkhead may be... too large for this world...") He's always the butt of jokes ("I'm not surprised, considering the size of your backside."; "Who's the boyfriend?"; "You're a big one... this could take a while.") from Autobot and Decepticon alike.

YET, Bulkhead has stepped up to the plate when the chips are down a few times.

*When Arcee and Bumblebee likely would've been killed by the two Eradicons, Bulkhead's mere appearance scared the 'Cons off.
    *Bulkhead scaled the side of the Nemesis itself to dispatch Eradicons shooting at the kids, and unknowingly helped deter Megatron's plans for Cybertron (later noted by Optimus).
    *Bulkhead even took the blame for Arcee and Miko (even though some of it was his fault) when Optimus got onto him after everyone got home.
    *Bulkhead used himself, already half-eaten as it is, as bait for the Scraplets to get them into the Arctic ("Ready for the main course?") - saving all five of the Autobots, yet wasn't thanked on-screen for his near-sacrifice as an all-you-can-eat-buffet for the Scraplets.
    *Bulkhead saw through Makeshift's tenure as Wheeljack (though this can be chalked up to simply having been best friends with Wheeljack anyway)
    *Bulkhead was able to dispatch Knock Out and Breakdown by DUCKING, and fought against massive Energon loss to own Starscream, and destroy the Energon harvester ("What I do best... BREAKING THINGS!!!")

In all of these events, Bulkhead was the first to step up to the plate to bat, and boy does he bat. He doesn't let the regular picking and teasing bother him, nor the insults about his size, even from his own teammates.

It's more likely that if Optimus were incacipated or killed, Arcee or Ratchet would take command. But I think Bulkhead would have a shot, or at least make a good acting leader, without Optimus. Based on his sheer determination, motivation, and times he's really stepped up to the plate.

Your thoughts? I know there may be some holes in my post here, especially in the list of events.

2. xeno

xeno xeno

News Credits:
    I never realized how much Bulkhead has done in this series. Those are pretty Prime like qualities, but shouldn't Ratchet take charge being the oldest and all? Scratch that. Bulkhead has a lot of good qualities, but is he fit to lead? I don't know if this can be answered with what we have seen in TfP...

3. moreprimeland

moreprimeland Optimus told me to do it! Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Cface..

I love this Bulkhead so much more so than TFA's Bulky, and I would agree that he's a great, strong fighter, but even he said it himself..."(They) Prime never leaves me in charge".
    Now..that being said..Bulkhead gives the impression (to me at least) that he would rather be in the middle of a fight, not giving orders to fight or strategic battle planning. There is no doubt he is loyal, caring (to those he really cares about..not so much to outside the group humans), and courageous to a fault but without the desire, "programming" and training for leadership, I don't see TFP Bulkhead in that role. It could get forced on him at some point (maybe an episode where this actually happens--a Wreckers episode..we don't know what he did and what position he held within the Wreckers..TFP wise anyway :D ) and I think he could be successful for a short time..but again, I don't believe it would be what HE would prefer to do long term. :2c: 

But then again, a bot can always change..hmmm?

Last edited: May 20, 2011
  4. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Exactly Moreprimeland: Bulkhead is a big, loveable guy with knowledge of battlefield, but not even close to being a PRIME leader.

Among the Autobots, the most capable seems Ratchet, who is the most dedicated and focused of them all, also the one with more experience.

You can even see that he takes charge of the group in Sick Mind, giving orders to everyone along the episode.

5. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    I agree, for now he's no Prime. But Cheetor was the same way- he wa always on the front lines of battle, but he grew into Primal's second, and later successor. Over tr series, Bulkhead could quite possibly grow into this leadership role.

Ratchet as I said would be the likely candidate for leader, as would Arcee, but for now I'm thinking about Bulkhead being a leader. Just stewing it over, is all.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Bulkhead has, on two occasions so far, expressed willful disregard (more like borderline contempt) for certain human life simply because he doesn't like them or is lead to believe they're unlikable.

He should never be leader. Arcee is far too headstrong and self-centered to lead, and Bumblebee is simply not the leading type. Ratchet seems the best fit. He always comes up with the winning solutions, is respected by the other Autobots and next to Prime has the best knowledge of the Decepticons and how they work.

7. Honorbound

Honorbound The Reclusive Semi-Lurker

That's why Optimus never puts him in charge.

8. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    And Ratchet is also a micro-manager who didn't listen to his three human friends when they tried to point out he was doing something wrong (the school projects thing). Character development isn't out of the question for all of Prime's supporting team to overcome these failings; and I'd like to see Arcee lead the team.

9. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well to be honest, I think that Ratchet would initially find himself in those shoes, especially in the case of the job coming suddenly. As it's been mentioned, he's the eldest & most respected, and he's generally been the brain behind everything. However at the same time, I can't help but think that he'd be more comfortable returning to more of an advisory role once the dust settles (sort of like Rhinox & many stereotypical old guys), and then of course naming either Arcee or Bulkhead as their true leader. Arcee might seem like the better choice right away, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the scale shift in Bulkheard's favor as things progress forward, even including a vote from Arcee.

Yeah, I get that he hasn't been perfect (with the human hating & all), but it's not like the others have either, and that's part of what makes the cast believable & unique.

10. Black Oracle

Black Oracle Black Convoy's Dark Angel

News Credits:
    Chopper, it's good that you could make a substantial list of Bulkhead's achievements and strong points so far. Against some of the more 'outstanding' members of Team Prime (like Prime himself and Arcee), Bulkhead can be easily overlooked and just seen as the big, clumsy oaf and crusher of the team with a soft centre. Whilst I acknowledge all the character strengths you have highlighted in him, for now, those don't necessarily make him leader material. They indicate he has a big heart, sure, but not that he's suited for leadership. And I don't think Bulkhead ever fancies himself as leader either. He seems more or less content with his position just as a soldier. Plus his willingness on a couple of occasions to just leave mean and nasty people to their unfortunate fates is not very encouraging.

I think the best way to sum up Bulkhead's character for now is: the big bruiser of the Autobots with a spark of gold. He's good at breaking things and he ain't very graceful, but Bulkhead's spark is always in the right place: with his friends, and he may even be capable of being smarter than he believes himself to be (tho' he usually seems slow to grasp or realise things). He's humble and honest to a fault, a team player, and always has his friends' backs. As Prime was telling Arcee in the Arctic: his greatest strength may well not by his physical strength, but his inner one.

Like you say tho', Chopper, there's always room for characters to grow in future and if Bulkhead were to be developed more, wouldn't it be unexpected if he eventually became a more promising choice for leader? It would seem like a complete turnaround from the first eps. when he told Miko: "He [Optimus] never picks me."

At this time, I agree with others that Ratchet and Arcee are more likely choices for second-in-command. Personally, I think Arcee would be the most likely to act in Optimus' stead if anything happened to him. She's the most capable warrior of the team with heavy battlefield experience, strong all round in mind, body, combat skills and tactical planning. Ratchet, though probably Optimus' oldest friend on the team and highly intelligent, is still just a medic by profession and function and remains at base most of the time. He doesn't get out on the battlefield as much as the others do and thus would not be best to guide and lead them in battle. He works best behind the scenes and I think he knows this.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    That's an incredibly flimsy comparrison. You just compared military tactics to school projects. besides, as he said those projects would've been bitchin' on Cybertron. Miko's mobile was a perfect depiction of Cybertron, Jack's... whatever it was, it worked pretty damn well, and Raf's volcano was the most badass volcano project ever.

But we don't know how or even if these failings will be overcome.

12. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    But they still weren't relevant to what needed doing; that kind of mental side-tracking would be bad for a tactician.

Admittedly, Ratchet needs a spot light episode or two that would allow for a better gauge of his character so that I might make a more informed judgement. Right now, I wouldn't trust any of them to lead on their own.

That would be the fun of the journey my friend, the fun of the journey :) 

13. megapork

megapork Cheese

It was a cybertronian small intestine or just something that would be where a human's small intestine would be.

14. Stygimoloch

Stygimoloch ROBOT! JET! ROBOT!

News Credits:
    Wan't it already established that Arcee is SIC? If so, there's no question when Prime dies she takes control.

Bulkhead... he's got potential, and its still way too early to make an accurate decision, but he's just a big lug with a heart of gold right now. Granted, he's a much better lug than TFA Bulky was (with actual combat experience), but I would still say no.

15. Starscreamer69

Starscreamer69 Well-Known Member

For some reason, I reckon they would introduce a new character that would take on the role as leader, and not as effectively might I add.

*Ahem* Hot Rod/Sentinel Prime

16. Ironhide4

Ironhide4 Banned

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    If Optimus dies in this series, I WILL wreck the place.

17. updatedude

updatedude Well-Known Member

As of now, with the current cast as it is, in the event that Prime meets a sudden demise, I would say the cast member most suited to leading the Autobots is... Jack.

Here's why the others shouldn't:

1) Bulkhead is great in a fight and a lovable member of the "family". He's also shown he's got good instinct, such as when he suspected Makeshift and he's got glimmers of tactical know how, such as when he lured the Scrapplets through the Ground Bridge.

But he's simply not leadership material right now. He tends to not think things through, such as when he thought Miko was in trouble in Deus Ex Machina. He also lets himself get talked into obviously bad decisions, usually by Miko. Finally, he's shown a lack of concern for human life on a couple occasions. Fowler in Darkness Rising and that Hunter Onion looking guy in Speed Metal.

In short, good in a fight, but lacking in management skills.

2) Ratchet. He's experienced and in an emergency, he's got a take charge personality. He's also able to think critically in most situations.

The downside is that he's not a front liner and while he's good in an emergency, he's probably too much of a micro manager during the down times.

3) Arcee's the next most viable choice. A good front liner with far greater mental faculties than Bulky. She's generally level headed, but...

Is prone to bouts of "emotion". Such as in Darkness Rising when she essentially had a hissy fit and left Bulkhead in charge of the base while she went to cool off by doing patrol. She's also got a lot of baggage that she doesn't seem to deal super well with when they crop up. If Ratchet is the Civilian arm, Arcee's the Military arm. Both are great as "arms", but questionable as the "head".

4) Bumblebee's impetuous at times but is actually more or less the most rounded of all the characters. He's implied to be less experienced than the others but otherwise, he seems like he would actually be the best candidate provided he had Ratchet and Arcee as advisers.

5) Finally, Jack. I'll start with the cons for him. He's quite conservative and cautious, but perhaps TOO conservative and cautious. Also, he does need to work on his assertiveness.

But otherwise, why he would work is that he's basically got the most level head of the cast. When push comes to shove, he does have a fair bit of courage, but it's tempered by critical thinking. Perhaps his best trait though, is his strong moral fiber. Despite Fowler being a jerk in Darkness Rising and Jimmy (or whatever his name was) in Speed Metal ALSO being an obnoxious jerk, when either of those guys were in trouble, he insisted on their rescue.

Granted, this has been exploited against him before. Miko's got him to go against his better judgement by reminding him it's the "right" thing to do. But placed in a position where his word is final, that "threat" should be minimized. He'll need time to gain experience for the job, but he's got a good mix of caution, courage, critical & long term thinking and a sense of right & wrong.

Oooooor... yeah, just go with Bumblebee with Ratchet and Arcee in advisory roles.

18. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Airachnid's ratservant

News Credits:
    Well to be honest, I'd be surprised if he didn't die at some point (even temporarily), what with the fact that he's well, Optimus Prime.

19. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

He lacks ANY experience in battlefield, he might have the head in the right place, but he is simply lacks any strategist skills whatsoever, AND he lacks knowledge about the Transformer culture, physical capabilities, and history.

In other words, he doesn't know shit about war and the Cybertronians [that withou even MENTIONING the fact he is a fleshling with no fight capacity too, he doesn't even know how to wield a gun] he will be dead within HOURS if he end up as the leader of the 'Bots.

He is pretty much a horrible option because of that.

I think Bumblebee is too naive for that, see how Bumblebee was almost having a spark attack when he faced Megatron in "Sick Mind"? Imagine that happening in the battlefield.

Megs is just too experienced, ruthless and brutal for 'Bee, he would easily cast him aside like a fly.

'Bee would have more of a fair fight against The Starscream-era of the Decepticons, as Starscream uses a more subtle and cunning way of warfare.
    But even against Starscream, I think SS is too smart for 'Bee.

The best chocie for leadership would be Ratchet as a leader and Arcee as his First Lieutenant, or the other way around [Arcee leading, Ratchet second-in-command].

20. Karhukjnsi

Karhukjnsi Universal Wrestler

News Credits:
    I agree with Chopperface. At first, when I saw Bulkhead's name, I thought "naww, more like Arcee" but the points he made actually really make sense. Sure, he's attempted to disregard human life twice, but he still has room to grow in that regard, he was a Wrecker, afterall.