The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

I actually don't really care too much if someone rated Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs higher than The Blues Brothers. People can like whatever the hell they want. We all like different things. Life would be a very boring place if we all liked the same things.

Being a huge fan of animation, I can say I can understand why someone might like an animated film more than a live action film. Out of all of my favorite films, very few of them are live action. One of them is pure puppetry. (Dark Crystal.) So, I clearly like The Dark Crystal better than Blues Brothers.

Everyone can like what they want. However, I do tend to not take people seriously if they rate everything 10/10, or chuck norris/10. Or whatever. Because that person, and I, clearly have two entirely different tastes. It is okay for anyone to rate these films whatever they want. Their review of it, just won't be any use to me.

Which is why I would just ignore it if I saw 10/10 for Cloudy, and 9/10 for Blues Brothers. Especially in a list of 10/10 movies. Because this person is clearly too easy on films. Which is fine for them. I am glad they enjoy them enough to give them all 10/10.

But, reviews are for people who haven't seen it yet. And a reviewer who gives 10/10 to everything, isn't helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    Sorry To Bother You: wtf/10

I have no idea what to think about this movie.

3. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Ninja Scroll - Chuck Norris/10

• Like Like x 1
  4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    What part of my post seemed serious? It shouldn't even have been possible to take seriously.

If I had really been outraged or whatever, I would have said something back when it happened. What I said was a joke in response to someone asking you to explain yourself about your right to like one movie more than another. I wasn't expecting anyone to put any weight into what I was saying, but maybe that's my problem.

5. Dolza_Khyron

Serenity 2019

I have no other way to describe this movie other then:

Matthew McConaughey plays a fisherman trying to catch a gigantic tuna, while also being a hooker, and later a hitman. Who lives inside the matrix. He is also the ultimate mary sue. Makes Rey seem like a normal person. He also dreams about skinny dipping with little boys.

Damn, this movie... dialog is hilarious. The story makes very little sense. The movie thinks it is a much better film than it really is. It thinks it is an artsy film. It thinks that it such an artsy film, that it's trying to do very "clever" camera work, while doing the dumbest things possible.

This movie is totally insane. Not nearly as insane as something like Winters Tale, or Nutcracker in 3D, but quite close. It's such an insane film, that I can't help but recommend it.

Genius level of insanity/10. Highly recommended if you movies that are filled with insanity.

Justice League VS Teen Titans

I will admit, I know very little about the Titans outside the various cartoons I've seen them in, and a scattered amount of comics I've read about them, but... I can tell that this movie is garbage.

First off, the costumes for all these characters just make them all look so dorky. I know these are basically the new 52 costumes, which were meant to be an improvement over the "older" traditional costumes, but wow, are did they fail. Superman's collar, Starfire wearing whatever that is. Wonder Woman doesn't even look like Wonder Woman anymore. The only characters who have costumes I actually like in this movie, are Batman, Robin, and Raven.

Speaking of Raven, this is a story about Raven. So, why are we following Damian? I don't mind him as a character, I certainly liked him enough, but I feel like Raven should be the main character in this movie about Raven, and not Robin.

Then there is that really stupid Superman/Wonder Woman relationship going on. Can't coworkers just be you know, coworkers? I just feel like this reduces both characters. It doesn't seem to add anything. Except make me feel like shouting "Go home to your wife, Clark!" Makes me think he's a piece of shit. Which I don't like thinking about, when thinking about Superman.

I also think it is both too long, and too short at the same time. It spent way too long on the opening setup, and not nearly enough on the Raven/Trigon thing. I would have really liked to have seen more about Raven's life on Azarath, and the cult prior.

But really, this movie's problem is that it is Teen Titans VS the Justice League. In order to make this happen, the Justice League becomes evil. Which is very dumb, and cliche. I was hoping more that it was more like the Justice League thinks Raven is working/for Trigon, or something like that. You know, thinking she's evil. And the Titans defend her, until they can prove her innocence.

The whole movie is just really dumb, and I can't help but think, I've seen this story done way better in that Teen Titans series on Cartoon Network.

The film to put it lightly, is garbage. There are some fun moments here and there. The action is okay. But, for the most part, it's trying way too hard to not be silly, that it's made even sillier.

4 out of 10. Because it was certainly entertaining. Just a major F grade film. Do I recommend the film? No, I think I'd recommend TT or TTGO the movie over these. Both are way more interesting, and entertaining for legit reasons. The way they weren intended to be.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    Clark and Lois aren't married in the continuity JL v TT takes place in. The relationship between him and Wonder Woman - which I think is dog shit on cheesy biscuits for the record - was established in Justice League: War. He deosn't have a wife to go home to.

7. Dolza_Khyron

Yea, I understand that. I've seen War. It was also very dumb and awkward there. And, I kept thinking the same thing. It's also very poorly done. I don't really feel any chemistry between either. More like they just really want to bang. But are too dumb to actually bang. So, they see stupid movies instead.

I think if this was a series, it could be done well. But, in a series of -1 and half hour movies, it's being done really poorly here.

8. Toyzaremine

Toyzaremine Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lego Movie 2: 8.5/10

Probably not quite as un-bad as the first, but a solid sequel
    Everything is not awesome

9. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Halloween (2018) - 6/10 - I thought I might like this one, but it just confirmed what I already knew — I’m just not a fan of this franchise. The ending with the fire was pretty cool, though.

10. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - 9.5/10

11. Galvatross

Galvatross Dom Dom, Yes Yes Veteran

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - 8/10

When I first saw this in theaters, I didn't care for it too much. Maybe my expectations were too high given the hyperbolic reviews of some fans saying it was the, "Best Star Wars ever!" Maybe it was the simple characters, and the fact none of the characters are as memorable as the likes of Obi-Wan and Yoda. Maybe it was the overdone fan wank.

It was on network television tonight, so I thought I'd give it another shot. Maybe it was having realistic expectations, but I really enjoyed this a lot more giving it a second try. I appreciated it for what it was. It's not as good as the OT films, nor did it break new ground, and the music was kind of weak in most instances for Star Wars standards, but I enjoyed more moments of it for sure, and some of the characters were more enjoyable than I remembered. I really love the setting of Jedha and how it paralleled the ancient and medieval cities and wastelands of the Middle East and Central Asia; maybe I'm biased because I am half Middle Eastern, but I enjoyed it tremendously.

I am a huge Clone Wars fan, and while Saw Gerrerra's depiction in this film didn't blow me away, it made me think...Saw was becoming the Rebel equivalent of Darth Vader, with his robotic feet and lower legs, his breathing apparatus, and his use of force on people who should be treated as allies. And like Vader, Saw accepts his fate after making the right decision. Which is interesting, considering Anakin was the one who taught Saw and the other Onderon rebels during the Clone Wars.

It reminds me of Pixar's Brave in the sense that was another movie I didn't care much for on my first viewing, but when I gave it another chance I really came to enjoy it for what it was.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Slave IV

Slave IV more wealth than you can imagine!

Still my favorite anime movie of all time and pretty up there as one of the top movies all time period.

13. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Hereditary- 7/10
    This is one of those movies where I acknowledge that it is objectively good, but I never want to see it again. It’s a really unique sort of experience. It takes a lot to get to me, but this movie is really disturbing and has a constant sense of dread. The realism of the family drama, the performances, and the feeling of helplessness were actually far more chilling than the supernatural element. It’s not for everybody. Hell, I don’t even think it’s for me. However, it makes you feel every emotion it wants you to feel. I hated every minute of that car scene, but it was brilliantly directed.

14. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

Duel

I last watched the Spielberg feature Duel. Whole way through the movie everything is tense. You ever pay attention to the sound design in this movie? Maybe it's more subtle at drawing attention to the viewer than the camerawork but the engine noise of the truck constantly drowns out most of the other noise helping to create this feeling of oppression as it constantly bears down on Dennis Weaver.

The whole thing is really a film class in a single movie to be honest.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Roma - 5/10

Not for me, I guess. Admittedly the second half of the film was a lot stronger than the first, but that's not saying much. If you've seen director Alfonso Cuarón's other works you'll know he absolutely loves his long takes, and Roma is no exception. The two that stood out the most:
    -the delivery of a stillborn baby, from start to finish, has to be the most uncomfortable scene I've ever had to sit through (so...Achievement Unlocked?). Had to keep looking away. Can't properly judge if this was a good or bad scene, but definitely effective.
    -will fully admit the beach scene near the end is intense as hell and absolutely masterful
    But overall some "well done scenes" didn't quite add up to a "great film" for me.

16. PcPrime23

PcPrime23 501st Legion Trooper

News Credits:
    Bumblebee - 9/10

No annoying "No! No! No!" heard during the movie and explosions were a bare minimum.

Loved that Cybertron scene and Charlie is really likeable and isn't a dumb human character. Bee was adorable too man. I really hope this does lead into a reboot.

• Like Like x 1
  17. TFXProtector

TFXProtector TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Bumblebee - 8.5/10:

Definitely better the second time around. It's the excitement of the first showing that muddles films like Bumblebee.

You might not like the pacing or character choices or ideas at first, then you think about it and realize maybe it wasn't so bad. You go see it a second time and realize how fresh it feels, how much better paced it is compared to the previous entries, how smart and full of heart it is and you come away with a much better appreciation of the film.

I don't know if that says something about the audience or Hollywood that the people are more or less required to see a second viewing, but it seems to be the case more and more these days.

18. Galvatron1998

Galvatron1998 Maximal

News Credits:
    Did a rewatch of Unbreakable and watched Split for the first time before I went to see Glass.
    Unbreakable - 10/10 One of the only movies I've ever given a perfect score. It's a personal favorite of mine and doesn't get as much appreciation that it deserves.
    Split - 7.5/10 I was a little underwhelmed by this movie but I did like several aspects of it (namely James McAvoy's performance). I loved the ending scene with David Dunn. When I first saw the scene years ago I thought that it was a very unexpected surprise so finally seeing the movie as a whole added to that.
    Glass - 8/10 I was nervous going into this one seeing as how it has been doing with critics. I admit that I was very happy with this movie and aside from a few things (most significantly a few choices towards the end of the film) this was a great way to end the trilogy. Great performances all around (except maybe for Willis, but he wasn't bad in it).

19. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

Dragon Ball Super: Broly
    [​IMG]

Probably the most well animated fights in Dragon Ball post Battle of Gods. It also has the most "We can be Arc System Works too!" graphics I've seen in an anime lol but most of the fights were good. The music in the movie was... interesting but I'd have prefer a more traditional insert song.

The story and dialogue are terrible as usual in Dragon Ball but it stings especially here since Broly could have been an actually good character in a different story. Sick fights though I guess.

20. electronic456

electronic456 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Dragon Ball Super: Broly
    To be completely fair, I went into this completely blind as I haven't watched all of DBS and most of where I'm coming from is based on how much I watched from Z. The movie works as a rework for the title character and I enjoyed it for the most part. The animation in this is mostly solid, although I have to say the 3D models of Freiza's armada looked a little out of place in contrast with the space background.

Action wise, it's well choreographed and I have to say hats off to animators for pulling it off. The visuals were all there and as flashy as it was, I did find myself getting a little fatigued with the battle against Broly and I was like, "This battle needs to let me breathe a little." I mean this is a problem I have with a lot of Dragon Ball fights because everyone is an OP beast that the battle does not end.

When telling the new story of Broly, they really went out their way to showcase how OP this dude is and it pretty much shows in the fighting. His dad, admittedly didn't have a satisfactory role IMO. I got his side of the story of wanting to protect his son but he still trained him to be that beast and also the movie tries to paint him as cruel when I think he's basically just doing his best to stop him from losing control. Actually, that is still all kinds of wrong. Those other two side characters who were involved with helping Broly, they were alright.

There was backstory regarding the Saiyan race which is cool to learn about but also it really does become more reminiscent of what Superman is. But I can let that slide. It's more or less an extended episode which I wonder what it could pay off for future Dragon Ball stuff. As of now, this is our canon version of Broly.

8.5/10