The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Janitor

Janitor Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Fences - 7/10

Heavy on dialogue, light on plot, scenery seemed always static...which is when I realized partway this was based on a stage play. Now I'm not saying a play cannot be successfully adapted to film (ie. Glengarry Glen Ross, Amadeus, Chicago), it just has to feel necessary. And this unfortunately does not.

The acting performances were all superb though, especially Viola Davis. She's on another level here, and probably one of the best acting performances I've seen from the past several years.

2. Hikaru IchijoSL

Hikaru IchijoSL Imagine Breaker

Moneyball 3/10 that has got to be one of the most boring movies I ever slept through.

3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

Well, to be fair, not everybody's seen every version of Transformers ever.

Also, doesn't really matter, because wow was that an awful scene. "it's your destiny!!" It's always his destiny to save everyone, apparently. :lol 

I forgot how awful that movie is. Although, I haven't seen it in almost 10 years. lol But wow, Bay, and your self-insertions fan fictions... never change Bay. Never change.

4. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    If people haven't seen the original Transformers series, then complain about how the Bay movies are different, I have absolutely no sympathy for them. And as far as destiny goes, yeah, that's how the Matrix has always worked since it was first introduced in the animated movie.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dolza_Khyron

Well, someone can still see the other shows and complain that they are different, right? Or just complain that they aren't very good.

Yea sure, destiny has always gone the way of having some kid show the matrix in dead Optimus Prime's chest. Did we watch the same g1? lol

6. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    sigh.

The Matrix (and Vector Sigma) appears to have future knowledge extrapolated from past events through impossibly complicated algorithms. FFS, the Rebirth of all things was completely predicted and intended since at least from the time the war began. Crash landing on Nebulos and combining with aliens is no less wild a prediction than an alien child saving Optimus in RotF.

You don't need to go so far out of your way to defend ignorance. And I don't give a mad freak what someone has or hasn't watched. But for all the problems the Bay movies DO have, when someone wants to complain about one of the things that actually DOES resemble the original mythology, my feeling is that the person is talking out their ass.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dolza_Khyron

Yes, because two things did something, that automatically means they both did them equally as well. Spectrum do not exist.

8. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    You really want to spend 5 pages arguing about this? You think everyone wants to read that?

9. Dolza_Khyron

The real question is, why are you trying to defend Revenge of the Fallen. Slow day? lol

10. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    You could use the Movie discussion forum I guess.

11. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    BlacKkKlansman: 9/10

Maybe my fave Spike Lee movie? Ron Stallworth is def my fave character in film so far this year tho.

12. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    You mean Captain Scarlet was a lie all this time?

13. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    What's weird is that I'm wearing a Stingray t-shirt as I read both these posts.

14. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Translatorminator

News Credits:
    The Meg: 8.5/10

Pretty entertaining even if some parts are gloriously stupid.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I *loathe* Spike Lee and his pretentious little "joints", but this really caught my attention and looks great. Glad to hear it apparently IS pretty great. Looking forward to seeing it soon.

16. Galvatross

Galvatross Online Fandoms Suck! Veteran

Well, if you want my opinion, is Revenge of the Fallen a heavily flawed movie? Yes. The Fallen isn't given much to him, and his fight with Prime is arguably over too quickly. It has a mountain of geographical continuity errors. It arguably has too many characters and too many things going on. However, too many characters and the presence of characters that don't have much to them is not the exception, but the norm in the Transformers brand's history.

Is it a film I find heavily enjoyable that has many, many redeeming qualities? Absolutely. The last time I watched RotF I was laughing so hard because I found it legitimately funny. The "annoying" characters aren't anywhere as annoying as they're made out to be, and some again are quite entertaining. I find it to be incredibly well paced for much of its length; it's actually a fun adventure in the mold of the brand's fiction. It's a logical continuation of the 2007 movie, even if it's not real world realistic, but we're talking alien robots and not a documentary on artificial intelligence. Jetfire and Wheelie are highly underrated; we actually see two Decepticons switch sides, which is pretty neat. The banter between Megatron and Starscream is very entertaining.

I'd place it as my third or sometimes maybe even second favorite of the Bay movies.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    It def has a more humorous vibe than I'm used to with him. Ron Stallworth is probably my fave character in film this year, he's just played to perfection and has killer comedic timing. Driver was good too, and Topher Grace gives his best performance to date.

18. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

Let’s be honest, it also has the benefit of not over-convoluting the lore either like later movies in the series.

19. Galvatross

Galvatross Online Fandoms Suck! Veteran

For me, it depends in the individual concepts and parts of the lore.

DotM's only issue I thought was making it seem like Megatron was waiting this entire time for Prime to get the Matrix to revive Sentinel. Even then, I don't really have a problem with it, because Megatron strikes me as someone who has a million alternative plans and scenarios played out in his head, so ANY possible way of getting what he wants has been thought of.

I thought AoE's lore actually enriched the series and didn't detract from it. Transformium is the physical material Cybertronians were made of. The Allspark is simply the object that gave them life and programmed them as well as machines made of Earth's machinery in the case of the Allspark mutations. Before Lockdown captured Prime, the Autobots merely thought they were made by the Allspark, when in actuality they were originally mindless slaves of the Creators. Plus, it wasn't like the Transformers came to Earth 65 million years ago, but the alien race that made them.

Besides, in the cartoon the Vector Sigma origins are revealed before the Quintessons are, and just like the movies they don't contradict each other. The Quintessons merely made them as slaves, just like the Creators made the Transformers to, "Do as they were told," and Vector Sigma later made them living machines. So not only do I not think they contradict each other, I also think it's a nice way of honoring the source material.

As for TLK, yeah, that's where it gets messy. The Knights aren't consistent with what Lockdown said about them. It's never made clear if Quintessa is actually a Creator or not given she also calls herself the "Prime of Life" and is also referred to as the "Great Deceiver;" we get more to the Creators' motivations in AoE than we do of Quintessa's in TLK. Earth goes from being merely one of thousands of worlds that the Creators cyberformed to being Unicron himself. I have my own theory that tries to reconcile this (The "Multicron" Theory), but that's a topic for another thread.

I don't even think RotF and TLK are that different in terms of quality as overall films, but I enjoy RotF more, and what RotF is in terms of geographical continuity errors, TLK is in terms of lore continuity errors and confusion.

20. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

That’s about how I feel as well. I could buy that Megatron would have an alternative plan like that in DOTM. AOE stretched it a little bit, but it wasn’t wildly inconsistent with what came before. TLK is where things get really, really messy. Personally, I still enjoy all the movies in some way though.

• Like Like x 1