The last movie you saw and what you would rate it out of 10.

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Hand Of Omega, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Chris James

Chris James Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales- 7/10

I'm trying not to be biased towards my fondness for the series but I had a lot of fun watching this movie. Following the poopfest that was part 4, this one does a much better job a putting together a more engaging story while delivering on the humor and action that was in the first 3 films. And there was just a great magic to bringing back the characters from the first 3 that were MIA in part 4. Another plus is that I think for the most they made good use of Jack in this one. At times he's a little too stupid but he's got lots of good moments and they did not right thing of not making him the central star like he was in Part 4.

Where the movie went wrong was the third act. I don't need every Pirates movie ending to deliver like At World's End did but the final show down (especially the stuff that involved the trident) was so lame on not well done. As good as some of the development was for Salazar, it comes to a "meh" conclusion because of the final act.

I actually think with the way this movie ends and the place all the characters end up, I'd be ok if this was the final Pirates movie because it brings solid closure to all the characters. If it is the end, then thanks to Pirates series for entertaining me 4/5 times and being a huge part of my movie loving childhood.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  2. Primal1987

Primal1987 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales - 8/10

Had a lot of fun with this one. Aside from a minor bit of sequel baiting, this serves as a good epilogue to At World's End. Enjoyed it much more than On Stranger Tides.

3. DarkEnergon22

DarkEnergon22 Well-Known Member

Actually enjoyed Pirates of The Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. Maybe it's not the best one but it's far from the worst one. Best part was the zombie sharks. Should have just made the whole movie about the zombie sharks.

4. prfctcellrulz

prfctcellrulz Pokémon Trainer/WWE Champion

News Credits:
    Crap, I just went Dr. Evil and pictured the Zombie Sharks with frickin' laser beams on top of their heads! DAMN MY OVERACTIVE IMAGINATION!

• Like Like x 1
  5. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Alien: Covenant
    3/10.
    I'd hate to say it, but I enjoyed Prometheus just slightly more than this. I'll paste my thoughts from the thread.
    What I liked: we got facehuggers and a proper xenomorph.
    What I didn't like: the whole origin of the facehuggers makes no sense given the timeline in the original movie where the ship had been there for thousands of years. The so-called suspense was non-existent since we know that this is about 10 years before the classic Alien. Plus that plot twist at the end? No suspense for me I saw it coming a mile away.

6. Dr Kain

Dr Kain Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    How do you figure that?

Ripley was born at the start of Prometheus in 2092. This movie takes place in 2104, making Ripley 12. Ten more years would put Ripley at 22, which means she would have had to have her daughter at 11 since she promised her daughter she would have been home for her 11th birthday.

7. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Member of the Scrappy Doo Fan Club

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I had thought that Ripley was older. And I'll admit I had forgotten about Amanda.

8. NSJ23

NSJ23 Not today Chumly, not today.

agreed, i loved this movie! Dafne was pretty damn good too for such a young actress.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Gotcha. Yeah, Ridley said back when Prometheus came out that Ripley was born in 2092. Then again, since he retconned the Xenomorphs, who knows what else he will retcon when he decides to. Scott is now the movie equivalent of Kojima.

10. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

Pirates 5
    Kaya Scodelario is p cute, she has nice ankles

11. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

I guess i am the only person who watched baywatch this weekend. lol

it was okay. all the characters were fantastic, with the exception of Jon Bass, who really should have been cut out of the film entirely. as he added nothing to the overall plot until they needed a computer nerd to do nothing actually important. really could have gone without the gross out penis jokes involving his character.

all the other characters/actors worked really well together. Unsure how well they protrayed their characters compared to the tv show's versions, but they all did a fantastic job with the comedy, and the occasional drama.

which is probably this film's second biggest flaw. the first is Jon Bass's character. the second flaw is that it can't decide the movie's tone. is it a comedy? is it a parody of the show? is it a drama? is it a body cop film? no no it is all the above. really should have just picked one.

really enjoyed Hasselhoff's couple cameos. Anderson's cameo was really forced. and she had no lines.

The movie's plot wasn't nearly as ridiculously far fetched as they were in the series though. the plot of this movie is basically drug smugglers want to buy the beach, for reasons.

overall it was better than i expected, and worse than I expected in places too. but it was worth watching. But, I did feel like it was respectful to the material for the most part. and the writers, cast, and crew clearly saw the show, and cared enough to poke jabs at it here and there. which were some of the movie's strongest points.

7 out of 10.

12. optics

optics Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Alien: Covenant
    3/10
    Its like all the idiotic characters that made stupid decisions in different movies all made it into this one. I liked Prometheus and was super hyped to watch this movie too.

Get Out
    9/10
    Great movie and glad it ended the way it did. There were a couple spots in that ending that could've gone the other way.

Last edited: May 30, 2017
  13. Ephland

Ephland Let's Go Rangers

News Credits:
    POTC5: 7.5/10. Fun movie, while not really bringing anything "new" to the franchise. Would be an absolutely perfect final chapter to the series. Not sure what they were going for with the post-credits scene.

14. Kamijou Touma

Kamijou Touma ミサカ10032

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol.2 just enjoyed every minute of it, I needed a good laugh 8/10.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Veritas Prime

Veritas Prime You're Not Alone

News Credits:
    Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - 7.5/10

Pirates of the Caribbean 5 - 7/10

16. Starscream 91

Starscream 91 Mech With A Mouth

News Credits:
    Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Men Tell No Tales - 8/10

Definitely makes up for the lackluster 4th installment IMO. A lot of good laughs and of course Johnny Depp as always was a win.

17. OmegaScourge

OmegaScourge Custom Made TFW2005 Supporter

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man Tells No Tales - 8/10

I enjoyed it. Not the best of the series but not the worst.

18. Incepticon

Incepticon |-+-|

News Credits:
    John Wick: Chapter 2 - John Wick/10

What to say, really? Easily just one of the most badass movies ever. Some of the most gorgeous cinematography I've ever seen thanks to those amazing color palettes in every single shot, and damn, just insanely jaw dropping stunts & fight choreography.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Dr Kain

Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Goodfellas - A movie that gets better with every viewing. Chuck NOrris/10.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Raw: 9/10

Definitely slow burn, definitely weird, definitely not as grotesque as people seem to sell it as.