The Last Knight Box Office Woes

Discussion in 'Transformers News and Rumors' started by Primal Sabbath, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Since it seems people are tiring of the Bay style, I suspect they're going to use the Bumblebee movie to set a new tone for the franchise. When they start promoting it, they really need to push the fact it's going to be something new.

• Like Like x 2
  2. worldsgreatest

worldsgreatest Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lol @ the thought that this movie had a solid plot. Bahahaha.

• Like Like x 1
  3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Underlying plot and execution/shooting script are different things.

4. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    The post he was responding to went off the deep end as well.

5. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I personally think they shot a much larger movie and hacked it to pieces in editing to get it to a 2 1/2 hour film.

Now, if we get a longer directors cut like BvS, will it really be that much better?

They really should write shorter movies.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    This seems to be the first honest, unbiased, non- "i am not a bayverse hater but OH MY GOD This is the worst baymovie ever and i honestly didnt hate the others even though they all suck. EVERYBODY hates this movie and now they definitely have to reboot or Paramount will go BAnkrupt!!!" analysis from a person who seems to know what theyre talking about and written in a comprehensible way in about twelve pages. Thank you for reminding me never to believe the hype.
    So it has a good story, too little action and subpar editing. I can deal with that.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Richard McBeef

Richard McBeef Banned

Despite not liking the movie as much as I'd hoped, I think it's probably missing some essential scenes that would have made it more cohesive. I'm somewhat interested in seeing a director's cut.

8. GirlBot

GirlBot Mini-Cassette

News Credits:
    My point exactly. I liked the plot in this one and a lot of small trivia that popped up in between, but there was definitely something off with the movie. Plot-wise to me it was the best, movie-wise it was the worst. I think that they ticked off all the boxes in how not to make a movie. There was no story introduction, nor a proper epilogue (the film just ends). The first half of the movie was a rushed attempt to introduce the characters, story and status quo. There was no smooth transitions between the scenes and no necessary pauses for viewers to catch up with what is going on and to process what happened. Most of the jokes had no time to land with the audience. It was the same situation with dramatic moments. Most scenes followed the Hi-Bye dynamic without a Hello in-between. It was literally blink and you'll miss it for the whole movie. From the technical standpoint it's no surprise the film is getting lambasted. It's a pity, because content wise it had plenty of improvements.

The movie should have been longer to properly execute the plot points and allow the audience to grasp what is going on. Or they should have made the movie more connected to AOE, so they could skip the introductions and status quo setup, and focus on the core of the story right away. They tried to do a setup movie and a follow-up movie in one go and it's no surprise that it didn't really work. Can you picture a TF movie that blends in TF2007 and ROTF into a cohesive 2.5h long movie? What parts do you leave and which ones would not make the cut? That's kind of what they tried to do with TLK.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GizmoTron

GizmoTron Roobaticon Commander

Ebay:
    I doubt a longer cut would help. It would still feel like too many plot threads in one movie.

I mean I was really enjoying the first third maybe of the movie, but then Cade and Bumblebee left everyone else to go to Europe and start another movie.

I'm not sure there are enough cut scenes to help fix that, especially since it's been an underlining problem almost all 5 of these movies have had since the beginning.

• Like Like x 1
  10. dirtweed

dirtweed Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Speaking of box office woes, someone downloaded the entire movie on youtube last night. I dont know if its still up, or if youtube has pulled it already but since i said i was not going to spend any more money on seeing these movies in the theater i figured it was ok to watch it for free. I believe adding a link to this site would be a no no so i wont do it. While the movie is swimming in my head, i have a number of question, but i wont ask and spoil anything for anyone, i will say the movie was not as bad as i thought it would be. Yes, there are a bunch of problems. Yes, its a typical Bay style movie but i dont think it was the worst of the series. Im starting to think this is like the Star Trek movie series where the odd numbers movies were bad and the even numbered movies were good but in the case of Tfs its the opposite.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MegaGeek

MegaGeek Well-Known Member

Oops, I forgot to add something; It was so bad that my eyes bled as I wept for the braincells I lost. I desperately tried to get out of my seat with 30 minutes of predictability still left, but my girlfriend who had died from shock was in rigger mortis thus cocooning me a mangled tomb of cold flesh. I had no choice but to watch the rest of the movie.

In summary it wasn't a very good experience.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Hello from the Gutter

This is very similar to what I experienced.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Macrodata Refinement - SVR'D Access

News Credits:
    :lol 

• Like Like x 1
  14. TFW10

TFW10 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I wonder if Paramount will even have a Bumblebee movie after this movie.

• Like Like x 1
  15. backhawkdown

backhawkdown Well-Known Member

Do you have a source that repeat viewings drive the previous movie's successes? I'd wager repeat viewings are more likely coming from the hardcore fans not the general audience who sees movies out of curioosity and moves on.

Are those hardcore fans who see movies repeatedly driving their success? I'd say unlikely considering many hardcore fans have admitted to seeing TLK repeatedly and it is struggling.

16. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

News Credits:
    No offense but I wouldn't exactly call you the true face of the TF fandom either when all you've done is do nothing but bash anything that isn't G1 related and have no problems patronizing people who are into the TF movies. Truth be told I honestly feel more insulted by words like yours then anything Bay said regarding people watching his movie because you claim to want what's best for the TF fandom but all I read from you are text that say otherwise.

Also regarding Optimus not being a flat nose truck they actually did explain the change and that's to give him the height he needed to be a powerful and tall looking character and a flat nose truck isn't able to capture that so there was a reason why that was changed. Also I guess you hated how G2 Optimus,RID01 Optimus and Armada Optimus weren't flat nose trucks either if the idea of Optimus not being a flat nose truck offends you so much.

• Like Like x 5
  17. TakenSouler

TakenSouler Active Member

News Credits:
    I have to disagree.

A long nose truck killed my family and shattered my collection of figures.

• Like Like x 2
  18. megatroptimus

megatroptimus Untitled

News Credits:
    Saw it twice, haven't heard anyone complain about the movie. It's just hardcore TF nerds that seem to have a beef with it, casual moviegoers generally are happy.

19. motorthing

motorthing Too old for this $hit

News Credits:
    Ah yes,.......that. one of a parade of never backed up with anything except sneery opinions and personal biases as justifications as to "why things absolutely HAD to be the way they are and NO OTHER WAY would be possible/tolerated!!"

Isn't it funny how by Film 4 ILM suddenly were able to pack enough "height and power" into a Cab over? Evasion Op didn't ring any bells?

Maybe they found the extra pixals down the back of their couch after all that seed money worked.

20. Thundercrackers

Thundercrackers Cybertonian Scholar

I said it elsewhere, and seeing it's relevant to the conversation, I'll say it here;

TF fans, bay movie lovers or not, don't yet realize how truly catastrophic what just happened with TLK really is. In the past year, Bay has successfully sunk two giant nostalgia-based moneymaking properties that Paramount makes movies for, the two closest things they have to super hero franchises. He has rendered their two biggest toy-driven properties toxic on the big screen; one as a director, the other as a meddling producer. The success of the previous transformer films is gone, the goodwill he had from the studio for their success faded. This movie was supposed to pull the studio back into the black, not send it deeper into the red. It doesn't matter in this film manages to pull in upward to 600 million; the massive drop off from the last two movie's billion dollar haul worldwide is in no way, shape or form going to be seen as a success by studio execs or investors.

Anyone who thinks the bay universe is going ahead unaltered is fooling themselves, Paramount is NOT going to throw money after a big budget sequel to a movie that disappointed financially like TLK did. Bay's transformers is now considered toxic by Hollywood. I would not be surprised if the Bumblebee movie is somehow tweaked to allow it to close the book on the Bayverse, and start up fresh for whatever they want to come next. Paramount will scramble to save the Transformers franchise cash cow, and the Bumblebee movie would be a perfect place to start. I don't think they'll lift a finger to saver Bay's transformers.

• Like Like x 1