The Last Comic/TPB/Manga/Etc You've Read and Rate It Out of 10

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Scantron, Jul 6, 2010.

1. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Hulk was supposed to fight the X-Men in World War Hulk, but the trade I got didn't feature any fight with the X-Men. What the hell? It was a separate tie-in? This wasn't importsnt to include here but that stupid Cho part seemed necessary to be shoved in the Planet Hulk trade? To hell with you whoever made that decision!

2. Nemesis Otaku

Nemesis Otaku I love both Nemesis Prime and Anime!

My Hero Academia #1. I've heard that's it's a big deal, but I couldn't find any episodes in YouTube that had good audio. I was at a Barnes and Noble, perusing the Manga section, I found it. I figured, why not?

I read it with no expectations or any knowledge on the story.

I loved it! It feels really fresh to me, and I'm planning to go back and get another issue soon. I'd rate it 10/10.

3. SHINOBI03

You don't have Crunchyroll?

4. Nemesis Otaku

No. IDK why, but I don't like to sign up for video sites.

5. Inanimate Carbon Rodimus

Inanimate Carbon Rodimus In Rod We Trust

Invincible #144 - 10/10 - Excellent ending to the best superhero comic I've ever read. Ties everything together perfectly. A must-read.

Dark Nights: The Wild Hunt - 2/10 - What the hell? Some interesting stuff with Detective Chimp, but this felt confusing just for the sake of being confusing. I hope this 'Metal' event has a really good payoff at the end.

6. SHINOBI03

I Kill Giants:
    After hearing about the movie, I bought this comic during a random hunt and it peaked my interest. I thought this would be something like Shadow of the Collosus meets Made in Abyss sort of fantasy...

BOY was I wrong!

This comic isn't even close to what I thought it and turned out to hide an even deeper meaning and some messed up stuff and sensitive topics I'm not sure if the movie adaptation will do it justice.

8.5/10

7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Final issue (#6) of Punisher: the Platoon came out. Wow. Ennis does it again. 10/10

8. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Doctor Aphra #17

5/10

I'm kinda generous with it because the art is nice. Otherwise I'd give it 4/10.

It's the first part of the supposed three-parter #17, #18, #19 involving Hera Syndulla of SW Rebels. Given how I'm already close to dropping the book, I doubt if I'll endure till the end of this story arc. By this time Aphra's act got old and tiresome. Pretty much like the Screaming Citadel arc, it's just a self-indulgent plod through a plot-protected unlikeable protagonist screwing over better known and better written characters.

Overhyped as she is, Aphra simply doesn't work as a character. Her idea that the Empire is better than the alternative because her mother died in the chaos of the Clone Wars can't work when you remember that this book is set AFTER the destruction of Alderaan and the Battle of Yavin. I don't know if it was supposed to make her more relatable, but instead she's coming more like a moron in deep denial. Lack of originality also doesn't help the book. Too many characters are just recycled tropes and Triple 0 is just a G0-T0/HK-47 kitbash/knock-off minus HK-47 hilarious speech pattern.

Unless you are hopelessly completionist Hera Syndulla fan in need of having and reading absolutely everything featuring her... Skip this arc.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
  9. Rodimus Prime

Rodimus Prime Sola Gratia, Sola Fide TFW2005 Supporter

Berserk 345.

:bay /10

Casca is back.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SHINOBI03

Superman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told:
    I mainly bought this for "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & The American Way?" comic, but I did enjoy the other stories included like "Three Supermen from Krypton", "The Last Days of Superman" and "The Showdown Between Luthor and Superman". My least favorite was "The Exile At The Edge of Eternity" because it wasn't really a comic but more of splash pages with stuff written on the sidelines.

• Like Like x 1
  11. DerVernichter

DerVernichter Well-Known Member

Wholeheartedly agree. It also looks like we might return to the darker, more ruthless tone of early Berserk, which is something I wouldn't mind. Can't wait for the next chapter coming at the 23th this month!

Plus the art is incredible, though that's something we can pretty much take for granted from Miura. I always find it amazing how incredibly nicely his panels flow despite all his pages being full of meticulous details. Almost feels like a love child of Akira Toriyama and John Totleben in this regard. Whether you look at his pages panel-by-panel or as a whole, they're always so expressive and clear, instead of devolving into an unreadable mess like the work of many mangaka of similar artistic ambition.

Hopefully Casca's first thing she'll do after coming to her senses won't be killing herself.

I've also recently read the first two issues of Deadpool vs. Old Man Logan. I was looking forward to it, since OML is one of the few Marvel titles I still find worth reading, and while it's not without its merits, so far the mini-series is a pretty big let down. On the whole I don't mind the art; it's a bit messy and underdetailed, but has a nice grit to it and the panels flow decently. The rather basic plot wouldn't be such a big problem either, but the interactions between Logan and Wade, which should be the main point of crossover\vs titles, is really underwhelming. Logan acts pretty generic and hot-headed despite supposedly being "wiser and more experienced" than his younger self, and Deadpool fails to be funny even for a minute. All his lame puns fall flat, and he feels more like a zany, wacky Disney character rather than the irreverent psychopath with occasional fits of heroism he works the best as. I know his relation with the X-Men and even the friggin' Avengers is a lot better now than it was 10+ years ago, but he just feels so toothless and unexciting. The overall pacing of the two issues it pretty weak as well, I feel it could've been compressed into a single issue without loosing anything. Hell, it probably would've made for a more interesting read!

4/10

That's a bummer. Hulk's kerfuffle with the X-Men was the best part of the whole event if you ask me.

It's an enjoyable, if mediocre, romp. You're not likely to regret reading it, but you also won't remember a thing about it after a couple months.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Speaking of Planet Hulk, I forgot to mention the first, arguably most famous John Carter rip-off comic: DC's Adam Strange.

About Planet Hulk itself, I wish Ladronn could have illustrated the entire thing instead of just the covers. His covers were the best thing about it. Same as most of the books he was doing covers for around that time... Green Arrow & Black Canary, and All-New Atom... They would have been a billion times improved if it didn't take a full calendar year for him to produce 22 pages in that style at that level of quality.

13. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    The Golden Age Green Arrow Omnibus vol. 1 - 7/10

The collection and presentation is great, and I applaud DC for collecting 750 pages of almost all previously unreprinted 1940s material. I have mixed feelings about the comic itself. I think the art was solid all the way through, particularly for a Golden Age DC series. The first year or two was fairly creative when it came to stories, and then the series settled down into a routine of gangsters and gimmicky crime mysteries. Enjoyable but not all that memorable. More emphasis should have been placed on impossibly skillful archery. It's there, but there's often not enough of it. And Green Arrow needed more colorful recurring villains, which (with the exception of a few at the beginning, and non-costumed Professor Million) don't show up until near the end of the volume. The main villain is a Joker wannabe named Bullseye. I do like the original origin story quite a bit, probably more than the modern day Green Arrow origin, and it's nice to see Oliver and Roy working together, which we rarely see in modern DC. I would definitely buy a volume 2.

14. Sidewings

Sidewings Victim Of Boredom

HELLBOY Collection VOL. 1
    This comic is a masterpiece. I love the art style, characters are lovable and villains are great.
    It's a shame that Kroenen wasn't in action like his movie counterpart
    I love the references to the legends and mythology.(What can I say, I was always sucker for monsters) Also the writing and atmosphere is just great. My only complain is that the comic already set reader after many of HELLBOY adventures(Luckily second Volume is going to fix it by bringing the previous stories)
    10/10

15. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

The Harcourt Legacy was a nice little 3 issue comic. Liked the dialogue and the art and Josh on colors made the entire book pop.

16. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I don't know where else to bring this up, and it certainly doesn't deserve its own thread, but I was looking at Comixology and saw they're having a Judge Dredd sale.

My question is, how on earth do you have a Judge Dredd sale but only have two actual Judge Dredd comics on offer? And one is the crappy werewolf story that no one ever cared about, while the other has beautiful Bolland art but they put shitty computer coloring all over it. WTF? And everything else is a bunch of IDW-created horseshit. How about some actual Judge Dredd comics? Too much to ask?

Just to bring this back on topic, I will go reread Sunday Night Fever and Midnight Surfer and give them a 10/10.
    Good old Judge Dredd. I sure wish Comixology had some for me to buy and read.

17. Nemesis Otaku

Just read this: IMG_2415.JPG It was basically the color trailers and a short story, but drawn. I enjoyed it, though I don't feel it's really something you'd need.

8/10

18. Sidewings

Sidewings Victim Of Boredom

Old A-Team Marvel comics. It's so cheesy yet accurate. 8/10

19. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    Green Lantern volumes 4-6, 8 (New 52): Dark Days, Test of Will, The Life Equation, Reflections

Or basically Robert Venditti's New 52/DC You Green Lantern run, minus volume 7. I have the floppies, but Ollie's discount had a ton of DC overstock for sale, and with each of these in hardcover for $3.99 each, I decided it would be nice to have them on the shelf if I wanted to re-read them. And as it turned out, there is some extra material in a couple of volumes, such as variant covers and some of the GLC issues I didn't buy. I hated the New 52 and pretty much dropped everything except the main Green Lantern title, and didn't let myself get sucked into buying crossover issues.

Dark Days contains the most new ideas from Venditti as he puts Hal in charge of the Corps, and introduces Relic and the concept of the emotional reservoir that fuels all the rings. Test of Will is the Durlans orchestrating a smear campaign and war against the Green Lantern Corps while they try to essentially become Daxamites, and the Life Equation is the Green Lantern portion of Godhead, in which the New Gods are presented as though this is their first appearance and they come in conflict with the Green Lanterns. Reflections is the second half of the "Renegade" arc where Hal has supposedly gone rogue to try and take all the blame for the Corps, but they were pulled out of the universe (in a frustratingly STILL unresolved plotline) and he's alone with the gauntlet of Krona. This volume contains the one-shot Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps Rebirth issue where Hal forges a new ring and returns to Green Lantern status, and it feels like it flows seamlessly out of and wraps up the Renegade storyline. Too bad they had no copies of volume 7.

All in all, it's a good body of work for Venditti, who had a rough job picking up after Geoff Johns grew the Green Lantern franchise in the way he did. I'm not a big fan of Billy Tan's art, but it's servicable, and all in all I've enjoyed revisiting these issues. The arc with Relic and the Durlan War is my favorite part, the New Gods section drags a bit, and I appreciate the Renegade storyline a lot more in retrospect than I did while it was ongoing. All in all if I had to grade each volume, I'd give Dark Days 8/10, Test of Will 9/10, The Life Equation 7/10 and Reflections 7/10. For what it's worth, Rebirth Green Lantern has been far more to my liking, but the fact that this was the only book I stuck with throughout New 52 says something. For $4 each, these collected editions were well worth it.

20. Andersonh1

Ebay:
    Aquaman volumes 3-6 (New 52): Throne of Atlantis, Death of a King, Sea of Storms, Maelstrom

More discount books from the overstock sale. I did not like the New 52 at all, but Aquaman was the book I stayed with the longest, until the never-ending dreariness of "The Others" killed my interest in the series. I dropped it right when it got good, judging by the quality of these four volumes. "Throne of Atlantis" sees Aquaman and the Justice League end an Atlantean invasion and flooding of the east coast, and Aquaman becomes king of Atlantis. "Death of a King" details the attempt by the long-dead Atlan, "the dead king", to retake the throne of Atlantis. "Sea of Storms" is a series of episodic encounters of varying quality that often play into the plots of "Maelstrom", a high note to pause the series before the DCYou storyline began in issue 41 (which I have not read yet). All in all, this is a solid run of stories by Geoff Johns and then Jeff Parker, and it's hard not to reach the conclusion that whatever its many flaws, the New 52 was good for Aquaman.