The Last Comic/TPB/Manga/Etc You've Read and Rate It Out of 10

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Scantron, Jul 6, 2010.

1. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I read this entire post three times to see if there was a single thing I didn't disagree with and nope, I disagree with all of it.

2. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how any of that can be disagreed with though I understand if you disagree with my general sentiment.

If you want me to I can link to scans for most of those statements.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
  3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    I guess I disagree with your expectations. It seems like you were expecting to read a different kind of story. Like blaming a character driven French movie for not being plot driven. Araki writes neither. Never has; probably never will at this point. Ever since Cool Shock B.T. or even his debut work Poker Under Arms, his stuff is more Situation/Puzzle driven. That's where his interest lays and you either like it or don't.

No need to link images; I read Part 5 as it was first coming out 20 years ago and have reread it a bunch of times since. I like Part 5 less than Parts 2 & 4, but maybe around the same as 3, 6 & Jojolion, and more than Part 1 or Steel Ball Run.

4. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

Brin/Hampton "The Life Eaters"

9/10

This is a re-read because I can't get enough of this book so I'm revisiting it again and again.
    Love the art, the writing and the message sent by this book is precious to me.
    The only reason why I won't give it 10 rating is because with amount of caption boxes and on-panel writing this story needs to work it doesn't always work as a visual storytelling. I prefer it when comic book panels can tell the story even without any text.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  5. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

The only expectations I have are built off the preceding JoJo parts. I wish I could say I appreciate Vento Aureo as a series of great action/puzzle sequences but despite reading most of it within the last 2 days I can't even remember how most of the opponents lost. It's hard for me to even differentiate a lot of their abilities without having to look them up and sometimes Araki just plain cheats with some of these powers.
    Stuff like Chariot Requiem's shadow being based on each individual's perspective and the floating orbs behind people's heads is so out there and not rooted in logic or even shown to the reader that when the solution is discovered it just feels like I'm being fed information of dubious relevance. There wasn't any real satisfaction or cleverness in how that conflict was resolved which was how I often felt about a lot of Vento Aureo's situations.

I don't think it's as cut and dry as to whether one likes Araki's style or not because just among JoJo parts I believe there's a tangible flux in quality between them.

6. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Superman: American Alien:
    I blindly bought this comic thinking it was that one where people called Superman an illegal immigrant but honestly I liked what I got. A story that focuses on the human side of Clark Kent and accepting his powers and responsibilities without making it a straight on Superman story. My favorite parts are his confrontations with Lex Luther showing how naive Clark's view of justice while indirectly inspires him to be Superman that we know. Least favorite parts? All the references to the Justice League members. They were unneeded to this story and crated a distraction if not funny moments when Batman got owned royally when he attacked Clark. The other thing I didn't like about this story is the different artists for each issue. Why didn't they make it one artist so it has a consistent artwork without mixing good and bad artists together? Oh, and black gay Jimmy Olsen? Seriously? Despite these hiccups, I think this is a good story and an interest take in Superman's origin. If you like Superman, give it a read.

7/10

7. Rodimal Magnus

Rodimal Magnus A Touch of Destiny

Secret Empire #10 - 11/10
    Two words: Never Again.

8. Haywired

Haywired Hakunamatatacon

There's still the Secret Empire Omega to suffer through.

Not sure if I'll dare, though.

9. SHINOBI03

SHINOBI03 Well-Known Member

Ms. Marvel issues 1-4:
    Bought the first four issues of Ms. Marvel because they had the offer of four for the price of one. Now to be honest, when Kamala is dealing with the issues of her powers and being a hero, it is good. But when it deals with religion and the like, it's one giant cringe inducing garbage. The first and third issues were awful. How would I describe it... it's like when a comic writer makes a story about Japan but can't tell the difference between Japan and China and uses all the stereotypes you find in American Kung Fu parody movies but treat them like these are facts and it's how Japan is but you know that's not it. That kind of cringe. Some stuff about Islam feels as if G. Willow Wilson took a look at Wikipedia and wrote down some notes but not understanding what she's writing about. Stuff real Muslims wouldn't think of unless they are messed up or not taking their faith seriously which I don't think Kamala Khan is meant to be that kind of Muslim representative.

Will I read more, frankly for now I want to see how the Inventor story ends like, but I hear the comic only gets worse as every current Marvel comics these days.

10. AgentOrange

AgentOrange Primus Hates You

G. Willow Wilson has been a convert of Islam for 15 years, lived and written in a 90% Muslim country. I'm fairly certain she can deduce the mindset of a "real Muslim" and has done more than read Wikipedia.

11. Predacon Gregatron

Predacon Gregatron Well-Known Member

Old Man Logan
    I read the miniseries during Secret Wars, and the Venomverse issue, and I saw Logan, but I never read this until today.

I should have read this sooner. It was awesome. All the villains coming together to beat the heroes and now they run the country. Mysterio messing with Wolverine. Wolverine hanging out with a blind Hawkeye. The Spider-Mobile! Wolverine using Cap's shield to defeat the Red Skull. I liked all of it.

10/10

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  12. DaveWire

DaveWire Well-Known Member

Read the latest Hellboy & the B.P.R.D. yesterday. First issue of a brand new story and like most of this series, it's just another snippet of Hellboy's early life. However, I think this may be the major climax of the series because it began bringing together the various cast of characters that shaped Hellboy's early days and, given the year (1955) I presume this will explain why Hellboy would disappear in Mexico the following year. Not much to go on for the first issue but a fair start. I give it a 6/10.