The Last Comic/TPB/Manga/Etc You've Read and Rate It Out of 10

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Scantron, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Veritas Prime

Veritas Prime Perstare et Praestare

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Berserk ch. 343-350 - 10/10

So the group finally made it to the island and found out there is a way to restore Casca's mind but it requires Schierke and Farnese to go into Casca's dreams. I'm also hoping the person Casca wants to see is Guts. Either way the next chapter is going to be brutal.

2. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 Man, I've been here a LONG time Veteran

Ebay:
    Batman: The Golden Age Omnibus vol. 3 9/10

I'm collecting and reading this series and the Superman series as each volume is released, covering the late 30s and 1940s issues. And I think that while Superman started out strong and lost some of the spark as it went along, Batman started out very uneven, and has continued to improve over time. Most of the stories in this third volume, covering most of 1943 and part of 1944 are pretty strong. Alfred is finally introduced to the series, Two-Face gets cured and written out as a villain in his third story, and the Joker or Penguin turn up every other month. Dick Grayson's aunt and uncle nearly succeed in taking him away from Bruce Wayne. Alfred loses weight and grows a moustache, becoming (in appearance) very much the Alfred we know today, though his desire to be a detective along with his sheer incompetence are nothing like modern characterization. There are more WW2 related stories than I expected, and among the endless assortment of super villains and gangsters are a few human interest stories that have held up well. For my money, this is the best of the three volumes published so far, and the various Batman series had really hit their stride at this point. Looking forward to volume 4 in the fall.

3. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Corto Maltese in Siberia 503,000/10

One of the greatest graphic novels ever published in any language. Cannot recommend highly enough. So far beyond anything I've discussed in this thread, I almost feel weird mentioning it here.

Here's a short preview from Comics Alliance:
    Globe-Trotting Adventure Is Back In 'Corto Maltese In Siberia'

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the Amazon link, although it's weird...both the 'Look Inside' and most of the reviews are actually from other volumes in the series:
    Corto Maltese: In Siberia: Hugo Pratt: 9781631408489: Amazon.com: Books

And for no particular reason except that I like it, here's the first part of the animated movie adaptation the French did:

4. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Batman/Elmer Fudd: 10/10

What an amazing take on such a weird crossover. Loved it.

5. ABH1979

ABH1979 Anonymous Bucket Head Moderator TFW2005 Supporter

Twitter:
    Pinterest:
    I'm still not sure how I feel about this book -- it's just so weird.

But the art is fantastic. Weeks is a master.

6. Megasquared

Megasquared I'm gonna sing the Doom Song now.

I am Groot #2

I am Groot/10

Not much to say about this one but I am Groot.

7. Megasquared

Megasquared I'm gonna sing the Doom Song now.

Superman 26

6/10

In this issue Superman is trying to teach Jon how to use his power more responsibly but Jon is being somewhat arrogant and impulsive. Basically the whole issue which is self-contained is Superman and Superboy jump from one crisis to another and Clark recounts a moral lesson from his childhood. My main problem with this issue is that for the story to hold up Jon needs to act completely OOC. Jon has always been since to be very devoted and obedient to his father. In this he is more like a subdued Damian. I will point out that Gleason and Tomasi didn't write this one. Kinda disappointing but if you skipped it you wouldn't miss out an any story.

8. Veritas Prime

Veritas Prime Perstare et Praestare

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Tumblr:
    Saga #44 - 9/10
    That last page has to be a hallucination from Alana's viewpoint
    but seriously, what the fuck?

Twin Star Exorcists #43 - 8/10
    Something I didn't mention when I was writing about the last chapter but at first I thought Jin'ya was one of Seigen's cousins but it turns out he's head of the affiliates for Mayura's house.
    That moment with Yuzuru and Mayura was kinda heartwarming and the fight between Gunki and Keiji was pretty interesting since they're both fighting to look cool in front of their siblings.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  9. borgified

borgified Resistance is Futile!

After looking through this thread and seeing the ratings of the TPB/Manga/Comic for anyone that has read one, I have not seen one report about Stan Sakai's: Usagi Yojimbo.

Just picked up Usagi Yojimbo: The Hell Screen Vol. 31 TPB - 10/10

Not because I was born under the Year of the Rabbit (in the Asian Calendar), this one has piped up my interest due to the fact that I'm also a history buff. There's so many movies about Japanese culture that one has seen and heard plus tales and legends that follow. Each story is self contained and there is no need to jump into other various copies of other comics just to get the storyline (in which the comics here in the North American tend to do); you can just pick up one and start reading. Stan Sakai blends in culture/myth and legends into his stories of this Ronin Rabbit and his adventures that follow in his footsteps.

If anyone is interested in Stan Sakai's work, you're welcome to do more research. :) 

Edit: On a separate tangent, who has just finished reading the collected edition version of Tokyo Ghost DLX HC? This has got me interested and be willing to pick up a copy. PM your thoughts.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
  10. urrutiap

urrutiap Well-Known Member

Stuff Ive been binge reading

the 2011 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IDW series thats still ongoing up to issue 71. I read the first 12 issues and they're really good. Cant wait when whenever I get up to issue 44.

original Avengers comic. Some issues are good while most of the rest of the issues are just boring as heck. I should be reading Avengers West Coast by now

11. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Cosmic Odyssey

Yikes, not as good as I remember it being as a kid. Cosmic is Starlin's wheelhouse, so it's kind of weird that the voice he nails best is Batman, while with characters like Starfire and Martian Manhunter, he misses their voices completely. I mean, he doesn't even try with Starfire.

12. Haloid1177

Haloid1177 Hey, That's Pretty Good

News Credits:
    Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers run: 9/10

Enjoyed New Avengers way more, but the way they all tied in by the time Secret Wars rolled around was a lot of fun.