Minor/Repaint: The Last Autobot (from Vector Prime)

Discussion in 'Radicons Customs' started by Donocropolis, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Donocropolis

Donocropolis Well-Known Member

Here's my version of the Last Autobot from Vector Prime. I stuck pretty close to the comic book colors and arrangements, so mostly blue and gold with a little bit of unavoidable orange thrown in. Can't say the orange would have been my first choice, but I don't think I can paint that rubbery plastic. I left his minicon buddy unpainted, so nothing to see there.

This has been on my shelf barely started for some time now. The main delay was finding a blue paint I liked. I went through three different colors before I found one that was acceptable (the first color's label was exactly what I wanted but the actual paint inside was much darker and more sparkly, so it was a no-go. The second turned out to be exactly Allspark Power blue which was also not exactly what I wanted. The third is close enough to what I wanted, though I still wish the first paint had been the advertised shade)

I'm open to critique if you see anything that could improve him. He looks like he could maybe use a little bit more detail, but I'm not sure exactly what or to what extent. Anyhow, here he is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a crappier picture from before I retouched his gold paint, but I didn't feel like cutting him out again, but I also like the pose-match with the comic book frame, so here you go.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Rotorstorm

Rotorstorm OriginalRotorstorm Fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    looking good, paint the chin gold i reckon to emphasise it (think it was gold in the close up on him)

3. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    My repaint from Cybertron (the brownish-gold one) I've always viewed as this character, but I've not went to the extent that you have. Great job, man :thumb 

4. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    Looks good. I never found the Universe version. I wanted to paint that one.

5. red00wolf

red00wolf insatiable collector

a very fitting repaint, awsome.

6. big hank

big hank Resident Slacker-Basher

News Credits:
    Outstanding! :thumbs2: The gold is beautiful! What color/brand is it?

7. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    This looks great man.

8. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I think the gold parts look great. The blue parts might need a little bit more work in terms of panel lining or aging. Maybe give it a look of aged copper with a hint of the blues you've used. Maybe like the bluest of these samples.

Overall, nice work!

9. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Just goes further to show just how perfect Vector Prime is for the last Autobot. In my opinion this shows the best in that picture with the comparison with the comic book panel: your custom looks so much like a more detailed version of it. Just awesome.

10. Donocropolis

Donocropolis Well-Known Member

D'oh! You are correct, sir, I totally missed the chin. That will soon be corrected.

I've been thinking about trying that, though I'm a bit unsure of how to do it. When I've panel lined before, I would paint with flat black and then wipe the part off with paint thinner to remove the main paint while leaving the black inside the panel lines. Since I don't want to remove the blue paint along with the black, I'm not sure how to go about it. Any tips on that?

I'm not sure what brand that gold is Big Hank, I'll take a look when I get home and let you know. I will let you know now that it took several layers to get him that shiny.

Thanks to everyone for the comments. I always look forward to seeing what everyone has to say.