The Large Hadron Collider Rap!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dark_Convoy, Aug 29, 2008.

1. Dark_Convoy

Dark_Convoy Old Bastard Veteran

2. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

She's a press lady, not a scientist;

And Dimensions folding on each other??? They must be smoking some good yey.

Why can thy accept the fact that the Lorentz-Eistein equation about speed's maximum is not the speed of light, and there may be errors in there measures of the masses of far galaxies?

3. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Still not really keen on turning that thing on. I´d hate to have my long term plans fucked up by something that won´t have any tangible gain.

4. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

that was hilarious, I'm going to have to show it to my students.

5. Hoolagrin

Hoolagrin Wheelie Rules! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I thought the LETs were about time dilation and relativistic mechanics. Even if you account for differences in velocity there is an inconsistency in mass measurements.

Just make sure that you don't get hit by any meteorites when you leave your house, or spontaneously combust, or that you accidentally quantum tunnel through the earths crust, and you should be okay to make plans.

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    They can't because it was creation scientists that first came up with that theory. Or at least that was where I first heard it. So therefore, it can't be right. Any person stupid enough to believe in God can't be smart enough for science. :rolleyes2  IF black holes are what they say, gravity does effect the speed of light. Who knows how fast it travels in open space away from gravitational fields? Any tests on earth will have the earth's gravitational pull effecting it.

7. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Oh, they completed the second test on the 25th. The website now says 11 days until they start it up.

8. Star Sabre James

Star Sabre James <b>The JUICE</b> TFW2005 Supporter

I have got to get that onto my iPod for my workouts.

9. General Magnus

Cant´say I´m thrilled about this. Ya know sometimes hould be just left alone. This is one of them...

10. Dark_Convoy

I'm sorry man, but you need to read more about relativity. Light's speed is not affected by gravity, only it's direction. We know light's speed in open space, it's been tested and confirmed multiple times, look it up.

11. Takara_destron

Takara_destron Mainly lurking these days

Ebay:
    That was too much for me.

12. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    No one listens to exclusive creation scientists because they ignore the scientific theory and are "hell"-bent on pushing their agenda and will ignore any facts that contradict it. However, people will listen to normal scientists who happen to be religious. Thankfully most of them realize that the bible is only theologically infallible and not factually or scientifically infallible.

...is this where I roll my eyes?

13. RHansen

RHansen Sir. Ranbotnic Veteran

News Credits:
    I'm dating a scientist that's hotter than her

true story

14. Insane Galvatron

News Credits:
    Is not "reverse" a direction? Isn't that the concept of a black hole? That light has been pulled in a reverse direction so hard that it no longer goes forward? Thus stopping it? However, I will look more into it. It's just that I've yet to see where anyone addresses this. IF light cannot be slowed down or stopped, then a black hole can't be what they say it is. It just doesn't make sense. Do you have any links to articles or websites where I can find answers to how this seeming contradiction is reconciled?

I'll admit, there are some wackos out there that call themselves creation scientists. I don't pay any attention to them for the reasons you stated. There are reputable ones that address the facts that seem to contradict their theories. A couple of good ones are Answers in Genesis - Creation, Evolution, Christian Apologetics and Institute for Creation Research - A Christ-Focused Creation Ministry. They don't push and agenda, just study the facts and reconcile it to creation, no different than evolutionists who study the facts and reconcile them to evolution. These creations scientists need to be taken seriously ( along with a few others ), not just written off because of a few absolute wackos in the field.

15. Dark_Convoy

No it's not reverse direction, it goes in and does dot come out because the the escape velocity for a black hole is faster than the speed of light, specifically when light goes beyond the event horizon of a black hole it is no longer visable.

Light can be slowed down and even stopped, it stops when it hits your retina and is converted into an electrical signal for your brain to interpre as visual stimulus, and light moves at slower speeds through various mediums such as water or air, but it can not move faster than "C" which is 299,792,458 meters per second which is the maximum speed for any object with zero mass, and the speed that light travels in a vacuum.

The reason light appears to bent by gravity is because gravity actually bends spacetime around it and light simply follows the bend the same way you follow a curve in the road, in the case of a black hole light falls into a very deep bend (or hole if you like) in spacetime that it can not return from.

The fact that light can not escape a black hole in it's self is proof that light can't travel any faster than "C" because as I stated earlier the velocity needed to escape a black hole's even horizon would be faster than the maximum speed that a zero mass object would be able to travel.

HowStuffWorks "How Special Relativity Works"

I would also suggest reading "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking

Amazon.com: A Brief History of Time: Stephen Hawking: Books

16. adamthered

adamthered Reads comics. Starts shit

News Credits:
    I'll admit I had to reread the title of the thread. I thought it was about a large something else...

17. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

I can't wait for it to get switched on. Not only is it scientifically awesome, but we get to laugth at the doom mongers who would be locking up Galileo if this was the 17th century.

Quite frankly, I don't know why people are more worred about this then they are about the future implications of the rat brained robot or that biological research and artificial fertility are heading well into the domain of Eugenics.

18. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

I still think that speed/velocity have no limit. If photons is affected by gravity, then light has weight and is physical. Black Holes are supposely very dense matter where light cannot escape while Hawking matter and X-rays can.

And seriously, time-space bending??? Time is not physical and space is something more difficult to grasp with just words.

I believed in a creator (even Darwin states evolution was triggered by some outside intelligence), and my belief is that if people just became and be, then we are the biggest flaw of the universe.

I believe it was the "Day of the Dead" movie where one person states that "God" like to throw curveballs when we try to figure the universe out.

But much like the atomic bomb, thing that was created artificially (as in, human-made) always have a side effect. Let's just hope one person did not forget to carry a digit, or round correctly, or use SI units instead of mixing English units into the equations. Example: JPL/NASA landed crashes.

19. General Magnus

Well, how about, just to be on the safe side, we don´t turn the thing on?;) 

I think I can deal with not understanding how the Universe was made for a while.

20. PeolesDru

PeolesDru Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As I've pointed out before: The LHC can't hurt anything. Collisions with more energy occur all the time by relativistic cosmic rays hitting the atmosphere. This has been going on for 5 billion years or so (or 6,000 - depending on your brand of "science") and nothing bad has happened as a result.