The lack of realism. Or "Prime vs. This much better thing"

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by SPLIT LIP, Apr 22, 2012.

1. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

I know mate and I'm sorry. I guess I'm not used to people complaining on this level yet that's all. I wasn't aware I was ignorant. I've had people know how I feel about Prime and it's character. Perhaps a tad too much if you saw some of my eairler posts.

2. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Indeed. No one is saying Prime is the next Energon. Kaiju's just making it up in an attempt to show how horrible those big bad TFP "haters" are.

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Yeah. I never mentioned Enegon. I'm comparing it to really good shit. Being compared to MTMTE is an honour, TBH. You keep bringing up Energon like to subconciously draw parallels.

4. kaijuguy19

kaijuguy19 Keyblade Wielder

That was never my intention at all. I was just making up an example of how amazing it is that some people here can take some criticsms on the show that's all. I wasn't attacking everyone and I aplogize to people if it came off as that.

Though I have heard soundwaveruels say it's like Energon once.

5. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I wish Transformers has a whole had characters like Mass Effect. :(  Even the shittest ME character is leagues beyond most Transformer characters.

6. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Except if you want a good example of outrageous critisisms, don't use the single worst Transformers cartoon show ever aired where every critisms is valid, no matter how outlandish.

7. Leather Elbows

Leather Elbows Dooper

News Credits:
    I don't agree that we need human problems. Why? We have enough ''human'' problems. Real life, and every movie and show in existance

8. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I don't think you know what I mean by "human" problems.

Not things humans experience, things humans understand. I can't understand the pain associated with the loss of someone I don't know. I can't understand how having teh voice of a Chaos God feels in your head. I can understand a dude pranking another guy, or the care free "make-it-up-as-you-go" nature of a character who literally knows about as much as I do and relishes a fresh start in life. I can't understand a character's relationship with a rival taht's ever explained, barely hinted at, and dropped following said individual's untimely and arbitrary demise. I can understand a character who's dealing with his own mortality and aging body.

9. Mechafire

Mechafire Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I dunno, I can think of a lot of TF characters that are better than Starchild. :p 

10. Moonlight1102

Moonlight1102 Banned

Honestly, Split Lip has a point.

Ever since Nemesis Prime, I'm very very slowly losing interest in Prime. Some new characters (that aren't recolors) would be nice for a change.

11. ngnikolaos

ngnikolaos Well-Known Member

Split Lip's views of TF Prime mirror the exact same way I used to see Masters of the Universe 2002. I felt it had cool designs and animation, AWESOME storyline, but the characters seemed blunt, and the way the episode was directed gave me the impression they were "going through the motions", rather than fleshing out the story.

I don't feel emptiness in Prime. Don't know if it's the tone, or the subtle camera shots, but most of the time, I feel that in TF Prime, less is more.

Example: The moment where Optimus saves the children in Convoy and then spots Silas' helicopter. He says nothing, but his eyes narrow. This blew my mind because in that single shot, I got so much information about Prime, how he perceived Silas as a potentially dangerous foe who would torment them in the future for sure, and perhaps anger for not subduing the terrorist.

The way the characters smirk, narrow their eyes or their subtle movements give so much visual information to me that I do not really need so much interaction, as Split Lip says (though it is always welcome). I liked how Soundwave SLIGHTLY tilts his head towards Starscream when he says his name in Sick Mind, waiting for Wave's response about Megatron's condition. It shows that Soundwave speaks, talks and moves for NO ONE, anymore than it is needed. This shows his tendency for isolation, perhaps even disdain for other Cybetronians, and his nimble attitude, in general.

I get your points Split Lip, I've been there in MOTU 2002, but I can't see them in Prime. That said, I do agree that some story elements so far have been used quickly (Orion Pax), have vanished for no reason (Synthen), or have been wasted opportunities (the effect of Breakdown's death on Knockout and Bulkhead).

12. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

I would have to count that abomination as a "character" for that to be true :p 

13. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Also Unicron.

I forgot all about that fumbled attempt at an "epic" season finale and just wanted to jot it down for the sake of conclusiveness.

14. ngnikolaos

While I agree there, we both have to admit that most people here had multiple orgasms in those four last episodes.

15. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

I 100% agree with Split Lip here.

MTMTE is absolutely amazing so far with the way that characters are handled. Even the smallest lines of dialogue and tiniest moments of small talk add so much life and personality to each one, and the group dynamic is far more enjoyable as a result. They feel real, the interaction feels real.

As someone who values character interaction and how much it adds to storytelling, I can't praise it enough.

Prime does lack in this area, which is one of the reasons I feel some new characters are needed. In "Loose Cannons", Wheeljack added some fuel to the dying fire, IMO - his interaction with Bulkhead (and their buddy history), and Prime added some much needed life to the group.

16. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Indeed. But honestly I think that was just because "OMG UNICRON" rather than "this doesn't make a damn bit of sense. And what's this prophecy we're just now hearing about?"

17. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Alot of people say that Beast Wars is like, ultimate TF fiction, you want TF fiction? You wanna make good TF fiction? You gotta base it on Beast Wars.

But people that say that only say that because when they said that James Roberts wasn't in charge of TF comics. Roberts is just the fucking king. He gets what works he gets what is fun he gets what people like about fiction and TF.

I mean I like the show a lot and stuff but it would be a fuckign gigantic lie if I said it was anything compared to MTMTE.

The comic, not the G1 episode, fuck that, only good part is "THE SHIP WAS FULL"

Now more James Roberts HE DOES WORLD BUILDING out of fucking JOKES. He does a fucking joke about GENERICONS while WORLD BUILDING BETTER THAN EVERY SINGLE TF SHOW. He is just the king. He is THE king and the day he writes a TF show is the day the world will become a better day, because he is the exact kind of person we need joining the industry overall.

18. ngnikolaos

I never liked Unicron as a character. I thought that was the reason I was mostly meh about his reveal here. Though I liked him a bit more in Prime than the crappy 86 movie (I call it crappy because I saw it in 2007, thus was immune to nostalgia filter).

But Optimus and Megatron joining forces to take down antibody-cyber-bugs? Now that was totally "Meh".

Come to think of it, the last three episodes of Season 1 are the only TF Prime episodes I fast-forwarded.

19. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    I wonder if we asked really nicely if Roberts would write a show Hasbro/Roberts (Hasbroberts) would say yes?

20. Sinnertwin

Sinnertwin Banned

News Credits:
    Absolute truth