The lack of diverse autobot branding in TF2.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Santoanderson, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Santoanderson

Santoanderson Well-Known Member

So, to preface this post, I am completely aware that all of the autobots in TF1 were GM vehicles. Ultimately I could look past that deliberate sponsorship because Bay at least handpicked cars from different brands, and in a way mixed things up a little bit:

Bumblebee - Chevy
    Jazz - Pontiac
    Optimus - Peterbilt
    Ironhide - GMC
    Ratchet - Hummer

I think that, at least, was a smart move. That way he could please his sponsors, and kind of please the fans, but I'm not seeing that in TF2. So far we've got four new consumer model autobots (excluding motorcycles and military vehicles): Sideswipe, Mudflap, Skids, and Jolt. And you'd think Bay would at least dip into some unused GM brands: Saab, Cadillac, Saturn, hell even Buick. Effectively keeping it fresh, and pleasing both parties, but nope:

Sideswipe - Chevy
    Mudflap - Chevy
    Skids - Chevy
    Jolt - Chevy

It even sounds like Jolt wasn't even meant to be in the film, until at the very last minute he was thrown in. To me a last minute character addition means one of two things: 1) He's a redshirt, and will get killed off in no time. 1) He's actually very important to the story (however Orci seems pretty oblivious to his existence) 3) Michael Bay needed money, Chevy needed to promote the Volt.

I just hope the actual autobot logo gets more screen time than the Chevy Bow-tie. Heck, that leaked pick-up truck Soundwave concept art we saw last year was him as a Chevy Silverado. Coincidence?

2. knyghtmare2021

knyghtmare2021 The Goddamn Knyghtmare

News Credits:
    I'm farily certain Bay didn't hand pick the alt modes in TFTM. I seem to remember him saying that he wish GM had given him a bigger car to use for Jazz. I think it was in his blog?

3. Starscreamer95

Starscreamer95 'Civil' Nintendo Fanboy

News Credits:
    And it was in the Special Features. Plus the new Bot, Jolt, was added after filming began.
    And thier was a vote by everyone in the design deparpment over the Peterbuilt Design for Prime.

4. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    Yeah, it's a bit of a shame most of the new Autobots are all clearly Chevy's. In movie one it bothered less because even though most cars were from GM, they had different brandings. It was also easier for me to watch the movie without seeing the obvious car commercial because next to Chevrolet, pretty much all of those car brands are very rare in my country.

Don't forget though, there's also Arcee, and the movie1 cast. Maybe there are even some bots we haven't seen yet that are different brands...

Without car manufacturers sponsoring though, I bet these movies would have been alot harder to create. For movie 1 they gave he crew access to alot of car wrecks to use in scenes, so there's definitely also good sides to this deal.

5. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Maybe all the new Autobots land near the same Chevy car lot and have little choice for alt modes? :D 

6. Seth Buzzard

Seth Buzzard R.I.P. Buzzbeak Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Getting the rights to use cars in movies, TV, video games or what ever can be complicated. Companies want to make sure there product is show in a positive light or put restrictions on how they can be used or want money or any number of other things. Just look at any racing game that has real world cars, crash then into each other and walls all day they will never show a scratch. GM has been the cheapest and easiest for the production to work with and that's why they are so prominent in these movies.

7. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Exactly what Buzz said.

Despite having a huge budget there was still a budget and if you recall on the DVD, Bay credits Spielberg for saying something to the degree of 'You can make a great movie by not going over budget'. Stay within your budget, do with what you have that challenges creativity.

8. Santoanderson

Santoanderson Well-Known Member

Well, sure, I'm totally fine with them using sponsored vehicles, but in the first movie they used them more intelligently. They at least made sure that each autobot had a different company logo on the front grill. I mean, isn't that why they made Ironhide a Topkick, and not a Kodiak?

I'm just worried that we're going to get 50+ shots of the Chevy bow-tie throughout the film...

9. Moonhawk

Moonhawk Well-Known Member

Yeh - its a little lame IMO. For TF1 they needed the sponsorship to come in on budget, but I bet Bay was written a blank cheque for ROTF.

Considering most of the movie (from what I have heard so far) is set outside the US - you'd have thought they would have diversified a bit and gone for some European and Japanese cars. There are so many cool ones to choose from.

That was one of the reasons I really got into transformers - they were cool robots and cool cars. Who aspires to owning a Chevy Volt FFS!!!!! I mean - even the old bug (G1 bumblebee) is kinda cool in a retro kinda way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    Wheelie, Arcee's 3 bikes, and Springer arent GM-arent they in the movie?

11. Putrecon

Putrecon Banned

I'm sure it's been said before but I thought Jazz's choice of car was especially poor...that car was just URGH and looked like it would break if Megatron breathed on it.

...and even though Ratchet & Ironhide were different colors and different trucks I thought they were far too similar and I can't really think of anything which stood them apart.

12. Moonhawk

What cars are Wheelie and Springer? Plus do GM even make motorcycles?

13. mulanzo

mulanzo Dinobot

Wheelie is supposedly a remote control car, Springer is apparently an Osprey, and Arcee is a group of three custom race bikes.

I would love to see Ferrari or Lamborghini in the movies.. you know...cars that don't suck. The only cars in this movie I have any respect for are the R8 and the Centennial Corvette... and maybe the Saleen Mustang if the R8 isn't Barricade. I approve of the custom bikes as well.

I hope they realize how awesome it would be to cater to people who hate Chevy and mix it up a bit. They should spend a little more money to try to get some of the more exotic brands.

14. Moonhawk

I think the point is though - there is no diversity in the Autobot cars (all GM) - not the autobot characters per-se. Surely even if all the autobot cars formatted in the US its likely they would have found non-American cars.

I know if I was an autobot - i'd be damned if I'd scan chevy volt, beat or trax

Thats a great idea for an outtake - an autobot in protoform mode walks up to a chevy garage and scans a beat, reformats - then the camera pans around to show all the autobots and decepticons falling about laughing.

15. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

Great point. Torque's attempt is very weak. I'm surprised he didn't use Frenzy and Skorponok as examples from the first movie. And I think you're right - I don't think GM does make motorcycles.

I brougth up this issue about a year back or so about how this movie doesn't have much diversity in its car lines and also brought up that GM might be going bankrupt so is it really wise for TFs to all be GM cars?

I'd love to see some Hondas, Toyotas, Nissans, BMWs, Land Rovers, etc in this movie. It would open up so many possibilities.

Can someone please answer this quesiton for me: if an independent film maker made a film that was amateur, and it had a Ford or a Chevy as one of the vehicles used in one of the scenes, does that film have to pay Chevy and Ford for using their vehicle?

16. Putrecon

Putrecon Banned

For some reason I just feel they should be vehicles you couldn't imagine yourself or someone you know driving? Does this make sense to people cos I'm not sure I explained myself well but hopefully you'll dig.

Bumblebee also, granted he's a concept but I live in the UK and he kinda looks like every other car you see in some American film about teenagers or streetracers.

I would just LOVE to see a Ferrari Hot-Rod racing down a straight hundreds of miles an hour launching himself into a fight with some Deceptibozos...or the same concept but with both Sunstreaker and Sideswipe in place of H.R. launching a two pronged attack.

That'd be too cool.

17. mecha

mecha Banned

yeah, but did not jazz get played like a chinese fortune cookie?

18. Superion33

Superion33 Banned

I can definitely respect your opinion. You want more diversity, and thats cool. I think they should have ALT modes to satisfy the broad diversity in the target audience. Not all of us drive GM or Ford. It just seems like a win win situation to me to have more diversity.

19. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:

i was just pointing out that not all the new Autobots are Chevys. dont get me wrong, id love to see some diversity as well, and there is diversity, just not in the brand names

also, another "weak" attempt-Hound as a hummer and Prowl as the Chinese police car. both are rumored to be in the team with Springer, trying to hunt the Audi.

((and Frenzy and Skorponok arent Autobots-"weak" attack on my "weak" point))

20. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    I see where you are going with this, so I'll try to explain it as good as possible.

First, there is no independent film or giant-hollywood-blockbuster film in this case. General rule, I think, is that you can just use a car for a scene, since it's just a regular car that..goes somewhere.

However, things are really different when it comes to giant robots bashing the hell out of each other. Then all of a sudden, a car company might get worried that their cars are portrayed as evil, thus damaging their good name and sales. Pretty much the same goes for damaging the car if the car is very important to the film and it's brand is shown alot - car manufacturers don't want people to get the impression that their cars are weak.

Blowing up a Ford in a random scene is ok, people won't really know anyway. Blowing up a Ford after you've just shown it's Ford logo a million times in the movie..not okay.

Being independent or not has nothing to do with it, the only way independent films could get away with it would be because it's so indie or underground (or so bad) the car companies won't know if it's existence.

A similar thing happened during the Alternators/Binaltech line: car companies didn't want Takara (or Hasbro, I guess Takara in this case) to use their car brands, because they didn't want them to be associated with war. Some TFs that did get through were stripped of weapons because the car companies didn't want their brands to look violent.

in short: no, the film makers can't just pick any car brand and use them as Transformers, unfortunately. That WOULD be very sweet, and give much needed variation. I do think General Motors was a good candidate though, seeing as they own(ed) many different lines, so at least not all the logos were the same on all Autobots. It's a shame it's all chevy now, but I guess most new bots are more regular cars, that all fall under the Chevrolet brand.